BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2011 7:38:28 PM EDT
If money was not an issue...which billet lower would you choose to make  abuild with....except Magpul.  Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
ARFCOM lower
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just curious as I'm newly infected by BRD, what is the advantage of a billet lower over an aluminum?  Are they more durable?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Google AXTS and thank me later.

Quoted:
Just curious as I'm newly infected by BRD, what is the advantage of a billet lower over an aluminum?  Are they more durable?

Billet is still aluminum, much more machining is done though compared to a forged aluminum part. Not sure about the advantages, but they are generally heavier and just plain look better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Larue Tactical ....
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Billet is still aluminum, much more machining is done though compared to a forged aluminum part. Not sure about the advantages, but they are generally heavier and just plain look better.

Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure.  I can't believe I forgot that billet was a type of aluminum...
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually was going to ask abou tthem.  They look nice, but any good?

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mega!

But I am biased
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two Sun Devils.  Next up is probably going to be a Larue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ARFCOM lower

I would go with this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Larue Tactical ....

This
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the Mega lowers...but really as long as they are all in spec, best is a personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Mega is pretty nice.
The arfcom lower is very nice also.

Lots of Larue Koolaid in this thread. YEs, it is a nice lower, but I would hardly say it is the best.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a fan of the Larue.  Have one on a MK 12 Mod 0 build and another on the BCM 14.5" EAG upper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Larue is the next lower I will buy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the arfcom lower. They are paying magpul to use their design, so it'll be as close to one as you can get with out the hefty price tag. You can get them stripped for a pretty small price, but their built lowers are pretty nice for the options they come with. Of course I do like my magpul lowers more, but I guess that isn't here nor there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Larue Tactical ....

this ^
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know anything about Quentin Defense billet lowers? I'm looking at one for my current build, but I don't hear a lot about them, so I'm skeptical.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone know anything about Quentin Defense billet lowers? I'm looking at one for my current build, but I don't hear a lot about them, so I'm skeptical.

as long as a lower is within specs, it's fine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#23]

I hear they had to get Magpul's permission to use that design on the magwell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hear they had to get Magpul's permission to use that design on the magwell.

maybe as a courtesy...not required i'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a tactical innovations T15BDX and a mega lower, both billet. The mega is the first design with the curved trigger guard instead of the "semi" curved version they have out now. They're both awesome lowers. I also have spikes, Noveske's and KAC SR15E3's all forged. They KACs are my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

maybe as a courtesy...not required i'm sure.

I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't be skeptical.....they are very nice and probably the best priced billet lower being made.

We had these made by Quentin Defense.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
AXTS was considerate and asked for permission, whether it was necessary or not, in this business it doesn't pay to have enemies.

Unlike THESE guys that ripped off our selector design without asking here  

No contact info, no Made in USA label, they'll hear from us soon

not very of them at all  
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
First choice would be  LaRue, becasue they have uppers that match. (I know there are others, but LaRues looks the nicest)

Second choice would be the AR15.com lower, just waiting to see if there is an upper that matches better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#31]

That lower looks fucking bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ARFCOM lower

First post and all....
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my Black Rain Ordnance.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The AX556 and AX762 are going through some final minor changes for better ergonomics before their release.  
BTW, the release version will have a 45/90 degree pictogram for Semi (the website shows the Semi pictogram at 12 o'clock), the 45/90 engraving is at 68 degrees to allow either the 45 degree or 90 degree selector to point to it when the selector is set to fire.
The AR15.com billet lower is the first such lower, it came out before the AXTS F (forged) receivers that also have the 68 degree Semi/Fire pictogram
Pic of the AR15.com billet, ambidextrous receiver
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DSCN0977-1.jpg

I have to give credit where credit is due, those are sweet looking. Mines special to me though since I had the honor of helping make these possible and having serial # 0002 is pretty too........

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
This ones not to shabby either........

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AXTS was considerate and asked for permission, whether it was necessary or not, in this business it doesn't pay to have enemies.

Unlike THESE guys that ripped off our selector design without asking here  

No contact info, no Made in USA label, they'll hear from us soon

They have an account here, heck they even created a thread (now deleted it looks like) giving away free levers.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
POF gets my vote twice! Gen 2 and Gen3 both have great fit and finish, assembled without any trouble. Good luck with your build!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure.  I can't believe I forgot that billet was a type of aluminum...

Billet is not a type of aluminum.  It refers to machining the part out of one solid piece of metal a "billet."

I am a fan of the Larue ones.  I have a Larue billet upper and plan to someday get a lower to match.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have one of their early ones. It has been great. They have a nice flare to the mag well making mag changes a little easier. They also have no roll pins on the receiver making assembly by novice builders a bit easier. They are not the only ones to do it though. They are a good deal for what you get. Think their billet receiver runs about $160.00.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I really like the seekins
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the Mega as it matches their monolithic upper perfectly

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I like C3 Defense because they can be had at a good price and I can get them locally.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm a huge fan of Seekins

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I am going to get a billet lower soon myself. I have been researching and looking at the options and I am probably going to get a Mega. I would be happy with a Larue or Spike's too. My favorite is the AR15.com version of the Magpul, but I do not want a stripped one and cannot understand why a complete one is $821. I am good at spending money, but that's too much for me. I would like a complete one. I could do without a buffer tube or stock, but that does not appear to be an option. Why is the complete price $550 more than stripped. If the stripped one is $275 and a buffer tube, buffer/spring, and stock can be had for $150-$200, then what else do you get to justify the $550 difference between the stripped and complete AR15.com billet lower?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#47]
That's why I like my PSA $49. What are you really paying for? Oopps not a billet soory.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#49]
There was a thread on this in the last few months...anyone have a link? There was a lower in there that I really liked that I can't remember now....

Oh, and for posterity, I love my Sun Devil billet upper, I imagine the lowers are just as nice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The ar15.com billet receiver price is often debated, time and again, when folks add up the cost of components on the ar15.com lower, the stripped lower is but $250 or so, far from outrageous.

If you bought a billet receiver and put a 45 degree selector ($85), Geissele 3 gun trigger ($230), Magpul UBR stock ($250) and MIAD grip ($35), already these premium parts are at $600.

Ed and the folks at ar15.com are our friends and partners, that fact notwithstanding, the numbers do point to an unbiased conclusion that the ar15.com billet lower is quite reasonable.  

For a long time Ed did not want to sell the stripped lower, and for those that haven't read it elsewhere I will elaborate.  Just on the selector alone, Ed and we spent a lot of time going over every detail.  As attention to detail is one of the areas we're well known for, we found much in common with Ed.  

It's easy to notice what is there, you may also pay attention to what is NOT there by design.

The original ar15.com billet receiver had selector stops, those were milled off in order for the new 45/90 compatible FIRE pictogram to be there.  Even the location of the new 45/90 compatible FIRE pictogram was up to discussion. 68 degree was found to be perfect for it be usable whether a 45 or 90 degree selector is in the receiver.

The ar15.com lower was going to be 45 degree compatible only, after extensive discussion, Ed agreed to make it 45/90 compatible so the customer can use the short throw selector, or go old school with the 90 degree selector.

Folks, we were involved in just the selector part of this project, where our 45 degree selectors already exist.  If we extrapolate this and assume the same amount of time Ed and staff spent on other components (in all likelihood, probably more), this project is enormously expensive in time and cost.

Ed and staff spent a great deal of time finding components that compliment each other.  Each component by itself, when used singly in a receiver, brings couple of improvements.  When these components are combined and used in a receiver expressly made to take advantage of their attributes, this receiver is special and unique.  I understand why Ed did not want to sell it as stripped.

Thank you for the info. That is what I was looking for. I do apologize if this was discussed in the past. I missed it because I probably was not researching or looking for billet lowers then. As far as the UBR stock, it is a $50 upgrade to the price over the CTR, making the total $870+. You can get them all day for just over $200. It just doesn't add up and that is too bad, because I would buy one today if the price were more in line with the total of the parts.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top