User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never noticed the ringing while shooting. I guess I'm just focusing on other things when I am. Maybe next time I'll keep an ear out for it, hopefully it's not one of those glass shattering events.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
@Combat_Diver

-Are government profile barrels still being used with the Non-FSP rails? If so, curious if you’ve seen any barrels supplied by DD with their pinned blocks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
glitch bump
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
@Combat_Diver

-Are government profile barrels still being used with the Non-FSP rails? If so, curious if you’ve seen any barrels supplied by DD with their pinned blocks.

View Quote

I'm sure that there are some.  Current replacement barrels are FN SOCOM without FSB.  However, most all Blk II have been pulled by USASOC and replaced by the URGI using the DD 14.5" mid length gas barrel.  That is the only DD barrel I've seen.

CD
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to @TechActual for the barrel!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Finishing up this FSP upper. Needs the correct pressure pad for light and lam. Not sure how I feel about the new SF 600 scout, looks a little too modern IMO but it works great. Went with the TD stubby and used the DD rail covers (made by Ergo) on the bottom, trimmed the extra off. Now to find a EOTech 553/SU-231.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry guys, trying to learn, is this setup consider a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone? if not, what would the differences be?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:05:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechActual] [#11]
No problem man! Looks good. @pezboytate
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]

It looks good so far!

You’ll need another rail. The DD fde Ris along with a different muzzle device. Either an A2, surefire 3 or 4 prong or a kac for a nt4.

Also, either a kac rear or matech rear sight. Barrels are usually 14.5 not so much 16inch but you can pin and weld any muzzle device to make it a 16 oaL, as I’m sure you know.

Lastly, and this is probably going to cause a heated discussion but depending on you, you can either keep your Colt lower or get another Colt with semi correct markings or another clone lower. If you want 100% correct clone markings you can always saltwater etch the markings yourself and have the markings look very close minus the sear pin hole. Either way it’s just an astethics thing. It’s just up to you. Just know that it’ll never be a 100% correct but you can get pretty darn close.

Either way you have a solid platform to build a clone off of. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MiamiSniper:
Sorry guys, trying to learn, is this setup consider a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone? if not, what would the differences be?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21371/IMG_5070_jpg-1666583.JPG
View Quote

As others have said, one of the key items in the Block II kit is the Daniel Defense RIS II. They're available from time to time in the EE or from vendors. Keep an eye out for one. Also, check page one for the list of required or optional parts.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 6:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#14]
Don't know if these were posted here, saw this on the facebook clone group. USMC Surplus Blue Force Gear/Vickers NSN slings.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/usmc-military-surplus-vickers-canvas-sling-used?a=2235179
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:
Don't know if these were posted here, saw this on the facebook clone group. USMC Surplus Blue Force Gear/Vickers NSN slings.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/usmc-military-surplus-vickers-canvas-sling-used?a=2235179
View Quote

Thanks that is an awesome deal
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:

Thanks that is an awesome deal
View Quote
Red horse surplus at Bragg used to keep these in stock as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 762hunter2:
Some army guys cool enough to wear flannel on duty, running noveske uppers on their M4A1s

https://i.imgur.com/mqxJ3Zf.jpg
View Quote

What Noveske uppers are those?

Haven't we seen dudes with BCM uppers in the wild as well?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
So would a Surefire Warcomp be correct enough for one of these?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been trying to find evidence of either black EOTech 553s (SU231) or ECOS ACOGs (SU237) on M4A1 Block IIs, but my Google-fu is weak (or I'm using the wrong keywords). Is there any evidence of either being used on these guns?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
I've been trying to find evidence of either black EOTech 553s (SU231) or ECOS ACOGs (SU237) on M4A1 Block IIs, but my Google-fu is weak (or I'm using the wrong keywords). Is there any evidence of either being used on these guns?
View Quote
Su237 definitely w/ %100 confidence. Black su-231 can only remember seeing it on a Marines m4a1 Pr
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
https://i.imgur.com/1n9xnoD.jpg
View Quote

what green tape are you using @StealthGuy ? the one on your sling?

please @ me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Su237 definitely w/ %100 confidence. Black su-231 can only remember seeing it on a Marines m4a1 Pr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

What about an Aimpoint CompM2/CompM4? I found one with the former but not the latter (although I've seen some URG-Is with CompM4s).
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MaverickCowboy:

what green tape are you using @StealthGuy ? the one on your sling?

please @ me.
View Quote

@MaverickCowboy

It’s just od green 100mph tape I bought from the px a decade ago in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#24]

What about an Aimpoint CompM2/CompM4? I found one with the former but not the latter (although I've seen some URG-Is with CompM4s).
View Quote
Seen plenty of compm4s, especially on cqbrs so safe to assume they made there way to the 14.5.

edit: just looked at my pic folders and found plenty. Trex arms insta has some from that one time he trained a team.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Finally nvg capable.  I'm thinking about taking off the vfg.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Kinda? I know it’s blasphemy to clone correct nerds however it’s The look I was going for and I am happy so fuck the haters.
Factory colt 14.5 P/W SF MB socom, poverty pony lower with no roll mark, spikes LPK, b5 sopmod, magpul mbus rear. I’ll switch that out as I don’t prefer them. Looking for a T-1/2 micro and a m300/600 scout.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#27]
The Block II CQBR, now even longer! (and heavier)

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a stripped FN F marked upper I want to put on my build which currently has a generic cerro forge upper, but my rifle has a FSP rail and pinned warcomp.

I'm pretty much screwed right? Uppers can't be swapped without removing the FSP and muzzled device?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
I have a stripped FN F marked upper I want to put on my build which currently has a generic cerro forge upper, but my rifle has a FSP rail and pinned warcomp.

I'm pretty much screwed right? Uppers can't be swapped without removing the FSP and muzzled device?
View Quote

You should be good. I've never used the FSP version of RIS II but you should be able to maneuver the rail away from the barrel nut far enough that you can unscrew from the receiver. Then pull the barrel out of the old receiver and slip it into the new one and tighten the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You might be able to slide the rail and FSP as far forward as possible and get access to the barrel nut. It would be a PITA but it could work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Will816:

You should be good. I've never used the FSP version of RIS II but you should be able to maneuver the rail away from the barrel nut far enough that you can unscrew from the receiver. Then pull the barrel out of the old receiver and slip it into the new one and tighten the barrel nut.
View Quote

Originally Posted By pezboytate:

You might be able to slide the rail and FSP as far forward as possible and get access to the barrel nut. It would be a PITA but it could work.
View Quote

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully this will be the case
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone have a line on an early "bendy boi" M4A1 RIS II FSP that has the lightening holes in the lower rail in front of the FSB?

Kind of like this one:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Ok who's gonna be the first to clone this

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
View Quote

Cloners cloning clones? That's Black_Rifle's picture they used. 🤣
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/2F93F41E-A8CD-4F34-9A6B-F4714F12D1FD-1702276.jpg
View Quote

That already is someone’s clone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:

Cloners cloning clones? That's Black_Rifle's picture they used. 🤣
View Quote

Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

That already is someone’s clone.
View Quote

Jesus that's real? I thought it was a bad Photoshop
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Just received an email from Brownells stating they have some limited edition M4A1's available.

DANIEL DEFENSE - M4A1 STRIPPED SOCOM UPPER RECEIVER 14.5IN 5.56

I know I used code VTK just a few days ago on a few other items and it knocked $40 off. Might be worth a try?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#41]
"Upgraded" the light to the negative lumens su-233.

Attachment Attached File

I think it's getting close to that time to sbr and get an NT4
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I forgot how clear the glass is and how easy 600m shots are with this reticle. Nice simple setup...
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
I forgot how clear the glass is and how easy 600m shots are with this reticle. Nice simple setup...
https://i.imgur.com/0eASy3D.jpg
View Quote

A Block II with an Elcan is a perfect set-up.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

A Block II with an Elcan is a perfect set-up.  
View Quote

It’s the one set up I’ve always gone back to. Even over the 10.3 uppers.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Even though I love my acog I still find my self tempted to sell and try an elcan sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FONTY] [#47]
Even though I love my acog I still find my self tempted to sell and try an elcan sometimes.
View Quote

I wouldn’t trade my Ecos for an Elcan. Given i don’t have much time behind the Elcan like the Acog but between the weight & reticle I liking the Acog a little better. My opinion might change with more use though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:24:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChemTrailZ] [#48]
Colt c “keyhole” marked upper, RIS II(non fsp) with fn cage code socom barrel, would the cqd rail sling mount still be correct?

Also, being that this is a newer block II build, should I be using a cage code upper as opposed to a c “keyhole” upper?

Last question, if using a gen 1 sopmod, what would be the correct qd attachment for the buttstock?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gmbackus:
Colt c “keyhole” marked upper, RIS II(non fsp) with fn cage code socom barrel, would the cqd rail sling mount still be correct?

Also, being that this is a newer block II build, should I be using a cage code upper as opposed to a c “keyhole” upper?

Last question, if using a gen 1 sopmod, what would be the correct qd attachment for the buttstock?
View Quote

CQD front is issued.

C keyhole is GTG. CAGE haven't been seen in use yet AFAIK.

No QD mount is what is issued. Anything else would be private purchase.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

CQD front is issued.

C keyhole is GTG. CAGE haven't been seen in use yet AFAIK.

No QD mount is what is issued. Anything else would be private purchase.
View Quote

Awesome thank you!

Follow up: I know there is individual preference for sling mounting position, but in an “as issued” condition would the correct position be loop forward(bolt heads on top) or loop rear(bolt heads on bottom)?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top