BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wpierce:
Sorry for the delay guys. Pics are here: SOPMOD

Is it worth sending back? The only reason I bought it was due to the limited run of gov model stocks.

I'm not sure why the hyperlink doesn't work from the previous post, if you copy and paste the text it works just fine.
View Quote
The Brownells ones were going for, what, $90?
BCM has the B5 that you got listed at $60.

I'd email Brownells and send them pictures along with the receipt...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Is it worth sending back? The only reason I bought it was due to the limited run of gov model stocks.

I'm not sure why the hyperlink doesn't work from the previous post, if you copy and paste the text it works just fine.
View Quote
I would send it back. They sent you the wrong stock if you indeed ordered a Gen. 1 overrun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Yuup. I would.
Assuming you correctly ordered the Gov. Issued version.

3 Main differences on the Overruns should be the "poopy" color, sanitized markings on the overrun, and lack of the QD attachment point.
It looks like they sent you their commercial offering.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wpierce] [#5]
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I will definitely send it back if I could have got this same one for $60.

[edit] Brownells is having me return it and they will have more of the gov ones coming in around the end of this month.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I will definitely send it back if I could have got this same one for $60.

[edit] Brownells is having me return it and they will have more of the gov ones coming in around the end of this month.
View Quote
Yep that's definitely a gen 2. And FDE instead of coyote. That's weird they sent you that one cause everybody else got the correct ones. But if it was a mistake on their end they do have good CS so I'm sure you will be taken care of
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Marv] [#7]
Edit. Missed all the replies
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Weapons outfitters had coyote overruns last night. I got one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
In the wild LPVOs - what’s been seen besides Razor HD? I dislike ACOGs, and I’m just not willing to drop 2k plus on an Elcan yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
You definitely got a Gen 2. Are you sure you ordered the right one? That looks like a FDE, not Coyote. There was another listing that looked just like the surplus ones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Weapons outfitters had coyote overruns last night. I got one.
View Quote
Saw that. Holding out for Brownells since I get a discount through them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Saw that. Holding out for Brownells since I get a discount through them.
View Quote
I'll probably pick up a couple more, I like coyote and hate QD mounting
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762hunter2] [#13]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
In the wild LPVOs - what’s been seen besides Razor HD? I dislike ACOGs, and I’m just not willing to drop 2k plus on an Elcan yet.
View Quote
Kahles K16i

Nightforce- either a 1-4x24 or 2.5-10x24

VCOG

Vortex PST 1-4

Razor is the new block 3 hotness though

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]

You definitely got a Gen 2. Are you sure you ordered the right one? That looks like a FDE, not Coyote. There was another listing that looked just like the surplus ones.
View Quote
I’m trying to gloss over the fact that I’m a retard and ordered the wrong one. Yes both pages look the same... I just checked my receipt and it’s the commercial item number

I’m glad they’re letting me return it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m trying to gloss over the fact that I’m a retard and ordered the wrong one. Yes both pages look the same... I just checked my receipt and it’s the commercial item number

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I had a feeling that mightve been the case.
But like I said, Brownells is awesome. And it happens, just remember coyote gen 1 is what you were looking for
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
And every one of those optics costs more than the rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Originally Posted By 762hunter2:

Kahles K16i

https://i.imgur.com/FllDFeu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/R9G2Ydw.jpg

VCOG

https://i.imgur.com/t8K71LV.jpg

Vortex PST 1-4

https://i.imgur.com/RMg60jT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oHb83e8.jpg
And every one of those optics costs more than the rifle.
I got my vortex pst 1-4 for $400 off the EE with an ADM Recon mount
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Kahles K16i

VCOG

Vortex PST 1-4

View Quote
1st Pic is a Warcomp in the wild.  YES!  That is what I wanted to go with my URG-I build.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Kahles K16i

View Quote
What's the scope mount? I thought it was sitting on a larue SPR E for the longest time
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
What's the scope mount? I thought it was sitting on a larue SPR E for the longest time
View All Quotes

Kahles K16i

I think it's a BOBRO.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762hunter2] [#23]
I think it's a BOBRO.
View All Quotes

Kahles K16i

I think it's a BOBRO.
+1. Bobro extended mount
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/30mm-extra-extended-precision-optics-mount-sku100203560-67754-140629.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-203-560&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-203-560

Seem pretty popular

Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#24]

I think it's a BOBRO.
View Quote
You are correct. If you look just behind his thumb you'll see the bobro logo. It's the extended mount. (B03-202-300)
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah there it is. Thanks a bunch. I might try to do that rifle up
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Kahles K16i

VCOG

Vortex PST 1-4

View Quote
And...

Leupold Mk6 DAGR

Leupold Mk8 CQBSS

S&B Short Dot

Link Posted: 4/10/2018 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Hasn't it been said that black rails haven't been used in the wild? I guess this pic proves otherwise?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#29]
Hasn't it been said that black rails haven't been used in the wild? I guess this pic proves otherwise?
View All Quotes
That pic has always been a controversy here with 2 trains of thought.

1- it is just the lighting making it look black
2- it is black, and its either private purchase or single unit purchase

We've never found proof either way, but it looks like a black RIS II to me. AND the black RIS II's come with black rail ladders. Which that one has. So I'm in the single unit/private purchase/its black group
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#30]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

We've never found proof either way, but it looks like a black RIS II to me. AND the black RIS II's come with black rail ladders. Which that one has. So I'm in the single unit/private purchase/its black group
View Quote
I'd be 100% certain it's a unit thing, because why would a guy spend his personal money on a black rail when he is issued a free tan rail? Lol, just like the guy saying the B5 rep said they never supplied coyote stocks. There are WAY to many pictures and use for those to be personal purchases. Dead wrong on that. Gotta be a marine to I'd think with an NT4 up front
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#31]
I'd be 100% certain it's a unit thing, because why would a guy spend his personal money on a black rail when he is issued a free tan rail? Lol, just like the guy saying the B5 rep said they never supplied coyote stocks. There are WAY to many pictures and use for those to be personal purchases. Dead wrong on that. Gotta be a marine to I'd think with an NT4 up front
View All Quotes

Unit does make more sense. But I believe that's probably an older Army gun because they used to be issued NT4's, the USMC uses almost exclusively the PEQ-16 and almost exclusively KAC rear. That ones got an LA-5, Matech rear, and pic has been around long enough for the NT4 to make sense.

Army gun for sure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Especially since that pic was 2012
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Unit does make more sense. But I believe that's probably an older Army gun because they used to be issued NT4's, the USMC uses almost exclusively the PEQ-16 and almost exclusively KAC rear. That ones got an LA-5, Matech rear, and pic has been around long enough for the NT4 to make sense.

Army gun for sure.
View Quote
Ah yes. That makes sense, but didn't the peq 16 come online in or around 2013/14 for the marines though? Army has been using the socom since what, about 2013? Pardon my ignorance but I'm going off what I remember seeing from various posts
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
View All Quotes

Wasn't that your rifle or just one you took a picture of?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah yes. That makes sense, but didn't the peq 16 come online in or around 2013/14 for the marines though? Army has been using the socom since what, about 2013? Pardon my ignorance but I'm going off what I remember seeing from various posts
View All Quotes

Army gun for sure.
Longer ago than that on the PEQ-16. They had first used the PEQ-16A which has a incandescent shitty light (same light in it as your incandescent M3X) and they have since adopted the PEQ-16B which has an LED white light.

That timing sounds about right on the RC though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Just one I took pic of. 2012 RIS II was not still not widespread issue to  
Army SF yet. Good chance that was personally purchased.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762hunter2] [#37]
Some army guys cool enough to wear flannel on duty, running noveske uppers on their M4A1s

Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeryTraumatic] [#39]
How often do we see aftermarket trigger guards in the wild?

EDIT: Also interested in sightings of ambi mag releases and non-Colt ambi safety selectors.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#41]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
Wasn't that Stukas' gun?
View All Quotes
Wasn't that Stukas' gun?
He confirmed a few posts up that he took the pic, though I don't think it was his gun. That photo (see the link) is coming straight from his post on Defense Review.

I do have another pic saved of S&B Short Dot on a M4A1...I will see if I can find it to add.

ETA:
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I think my carpet is coyote brown.

Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#43]

Wasn't that Stukas' gun?
View Quote
Mine was the VCOG equipped and the Vortex 1x4 equipped carbines
in the pics above.

Rifle feaured here in SWAT
Starting page 42..Enjoy
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Brownells has the Coyote gov issue stocks in stock right now. I ordered the correct one this time!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:13:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wpierce] [#46]
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-government-issue-sopmod-stock-collapsible-mil-spec-prod117746.aspx

The link wasn’t working before unless you manually copy the text and enter into your browser. AR15 uses a redirect for some reason.

Or just go on Brownells and search for sopmod and make sure you select the goverment issue one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sanman28] [#47]
So is the go-to sight still the elcan....or is it now a variable like a vcog or a loopy mk8?  What would a big swinging *ick tier 1 want if given option for 1 for his 14.5 block II?  Its hard to imagine there are so many different optic in use.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-government-issue-sopmod-stock-collapsible-mil-spec-prod117746.aspx

The link wasn’t working before unless you manually copy the text and enter into your browser. AR15 uses a redirect for some reason.

Or just go on Brownells and search for sopmod and make sure you select the goverment issue one.
View Quote
It’s the only Coyote stock they list.
Try this embedded link...
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sanman28:
So is the go-to sight still the elcan....or is it now a variable like a vcog or a loopy mk8?  What would a big swinging *ick tier 1 want if given option for 1 for his 14.5 block II?  Its hard to imagine there are so many different optic in use.
View Quote
Just pick the clone correct optic that you want to spend the money for. No reason to buy an Elcan if you really want a kahles k16
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Just pick the clone correct optic that you want to spend the money for. No reason to buy an Elcan if you really want a kahles k16
View Quote
Clearly.  It was more of a question for those that used the gun in service.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top