Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:08:02 PM EDT
I installed a geiselle SSA in a build using a daniel defense parts kit. I have another lower that has a horrible trigger i built using a DPMS lower parts kit. Is it worth switching them out or will they pretty much be the same?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, the DD FCG is superior to the DPMS. YMMV.

ETA: The Geissele SSA is superior to all standard FCG's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
my DPMS LPKs are a lot better than the one in my factory built Essential Arms lower...that trigger SUCKS....and thats being kind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I read all the online reviews and chose DD based on them.  The trigger pull isn't very light but its nice and crisp. Im sure it could be polished a bit but I may go with a better drop-in trigger in the future.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just swap it out and try it out. It only takes a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I had originally bought a DPMS LPK but returned it for a DD.  I do like the DD and have zero complaints.  Although I never tried the DPMS.  I've heard good and bad on the DPMS and only good on the DD.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read all the online reviews and chose DD based on them.  The trigger pull isn't very light but its nice and crisp. Im sure it could be polished a bit but I may go with a better drop-in trigger in the future.

This^^^
My DD LPKs all have very nice consistant triggers for a "stock" single stage type trigger.  They break very clean and aren't too heavy either.  But they can never be compared to one of the top tier trigger groups that are $175.00 and up
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My factory DPMS lower has one of the nicest triggers out of all of my ARs..I have a PSA that has a pretty nice pull too. .
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread just makes me question my upcoming decision even more.  I am buying a stripped lower and considering which LPK to drop in.  It's either going to be a standard LPK for around $80-$90 I assume (standard spikes, standard DD, standard Palmetto which have very good prices) or the $150 enhanced LPK from Spikes.  Most of my shooting is while out on the ranch, driving around, critters, spotlighting, target plinking...no match shooting or anything.  Is the enhanced group worth the extra $70 or so?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the enhanced group worth the extra $70 or so?

My opinion is no but I can work on FCG's tailored to my needs.  I'd spend the money on a Lyman trigger pull guage and learn about FCG's myself.  Ask ten people get ten different answers.  As long as you can hit what you shoot at what difference does it make.  Of course my pockets aren't very deep either and I learned racing cars a good tune up goes a long way and you also have to make it to the finish line.  Same with guns tune it up and build it so it shoots every time where you aim it.  I shoot so many different AR's that I try and set the triggers all the same.  I prefer Colt M-16 FCG parts and juggle springs but I also have a lot of springs and enough FCG parts.  Approximately five lbs works for me single stage and a nice clean break with a little take off.  Nice and smooth.  Definately not a $200 adjustable trigger.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a DPMS LPK with my first build and the trigger sucked. Whenever I would do a function check the hammer would drop immediately after the sear reset. I replaced the FCG with RRA parts and all has been well.

I would recommend using an RRA, Spikes or DD LPK for standard FCG.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
You're asking about a stock single stage trigger. Some will be good, and some will be bad, regardless of manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used a DPMS LPK with my first build and the trigger sucked. Whenever I would do a function check the hammer would drop immediately after the sear reset. I replaced the FCG with RRA parts and all has been well.

i had the hammer dropping problem with a stag kit when releasing the trigger very slowly.  if the trigger was released quickly, i had no prblems.  members hear recommending removing material from the disconnector where it contacts the trigger.  that worked for me.

eta i dont notice any difference between my stag kit and dd lpk.  i have a used dpms that is gritty.  i noticed some slight notches in the trigger mating surface

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
A stock trigger is meant to be safe. If your Daniel Defense stock trigger breaks clean, its not because its a better trigger than a DPMS, you just got lucky with a trigger that has little movement. I have had good and bad triggers in DD LPK's. The same goes for the CMT and other lpk's I have used. Comparison of triggers doens't matter until you start buying aftermarket triggers designed to offer better performance than your factory AR trigger.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow! That would deadline a rifle in my arms room...

On topic: I have used both DD and DPMS LPKs with no issue. Nothing special; both good "stock" triggers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
It will vary from kit to kit but it's been my experience & the general consensus that most triggers are better than DPMS triggers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It will vary from kit to kit but it's been my experience & the general consensus that most triggers are better than DPMS triggers.

+1 on this statement.

It really can be just luck of the draw with factory single stage triggers, but I have not had much luck with the DPMS LPK. I did, however, buy up a few RRA hammers at a fun show on the cheap and replaced the hammer in a DPMS LPK with one. WOW, what a difference just swapping out that one part made. It gave the trigger a much cleaner pull and the break was FAR more crisp. I don't think I could get that same result every single time since there is so much variance from one LPK to another, but it was sure nice that it worked out to be an easy fix in that case! It sure beats the heck out of polishing, re-assembling to try, polishing some more, re-assembling, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used a lot of DPMS LPK's over the years and never had any issues (no hard use rifles though).  The trigger pull on most of them were actually pretty good.

I now use DD kits, as I've read they're better quality.  But I have noticed the trigger pull seems heavier than the DPMS kits I've used in the past. Hopefully the DD's will get better with use.

The DD kits come with the MOE triggerguards.  So when you factor in the cost of the MOE TG, the DPMS is only a few bucks cheaper.  

Personally, I'll stick with the DD's quality over cost.  And if I need a light pull, I'll put the appropriate trigger group in.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top