Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 5:16:31 PM EDT
I recently purchased a brand new Young Manufacturing National Match Chromed M16 BCG. Upon receiving the BCG, I went to take it apart to inspect and lube it before I put it in my rifle. While disassembling it, I noticed rotating the cam pin was unusually difficult. Once I got the cam pin rotated and in the rearward position, I couldn't pull it out of the carrier.

I ended up wrapping some electrical tape around a pair of needle nose pliers to get the cam pin out. It cleared the gas key fine; It was just a really tight fit in the bolt.

I've had a lot of experience with AR's and I've never had a cam pin this difficult to remove. I'm just thinking maybe the BCG is out of spec. I'm going to call Y/M tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences. And yes, the firing pin was removed, don't even ask.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a new bcg where it wasn't difficult to take the cam out. It will loosen up with use, I don't think there is a problem here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a brand new Young Manufacturing National Match Chromed M16 BCG. Upon receiving the BCG, I went to take it apart to inspect and lube it before I put it in my rifle. While disassembling it, I noticed rotating the cam pin was unusually difficult. Once I got the cam pin rotated and in the rearward position, I couldn't pull it out of the carrier.

I ended up wrapping some electrical tape around a pair of needle nose pliers to get the cam pin out. It cleared the gas key fine; It was just a really tight fit in the bolt.

I've had a lot of experience with AR's and I've never had a cam pin this difficult to remove. I'm just thinking maybe the BCG is out of spec. I'm going to call Y/M tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences. And yes, the firing pin was removed, don't even ask.

I'd try other cam pins see how they fit in your Young... and try that one you got stuck in other bolt carriers to see how it fits in them
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I'd rather have the cam pin fit tight in the bolt,but rarely get that good of a fit..
Much better than being loose.
I'd run it....eventually it will become loose due to wear.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How does it shoot?

Exactly.

There is way too much finger fucking and speculation going on lately. Quit staring at and fondling your rifles and go shoot them. THEN if there are problems call the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How does it shoot?

Exactly.  

There is way too much finger fucking and speculation going on lately. Quit staring at and fondling your rifles and go shoot them. THEN if there are problems call the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How does it shoot?

Exactly.  

LOL, too funny
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Exactly go and shoot it first then if it doesnt work bitch about it, its like bitching cause the brass cases are marring up your shell deflector thats whats it there for! Be glad its not all sloppy and flopping aroung in there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never had a new bcg where it wasn't difficult to take the cam out. It will loosen up with use, I don't think there is a problem here.

This.  Put a few hundred rounds through it then check the cam again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Due, its coated in chrome. Key word = coated. Coatings usually add something to the objects they coat, well call this "diameter" Now try to keep up. As the coated surfaces work against each other in something called a "cycle of function" its diameter will be slowly reduced until its at an optimal operational size. Unfortunatly, your dick beaters cannot replicate 40k PSI that cycle the functions of your rifle.

Worst case, pull it out, run a chain through it. toss it over your head and go to the club.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How does it shoot?

Exactly.  

It is probably because it WON'T QUIT RAINING and our wives won't let us go play in the rain
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The National Match BCGs are made to extremely tight tolerances; every one that I've ever used has been tight from the factory... they have also all worked flawlessly when installed into a rifle and properly lubed.  I would suggest (as others have) that you lube the BCG, install it into a rifle and shoot it to verify functionality before calling Young about a possible non-existent problem.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top