Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2011 7:35:47 PM EDT
No matter how hard I try, I can not loosen my flash suppressor. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Soak it in some kind of penetrating oil like PB blaster or kroil.  The best clamping option would be barrel blocks.  If you don't have access to those and, assuming you have a fixed fsb, wrap the fsb in a towel and clamp it in a vise.  Use the correct size wrench and add leverage as necessary.

Oh and make sure its not permed and you're turning the right way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it on a 14.5" barrel?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it on a 14.5" barrel?

No, it is a 18" barrel so it should not be welded.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Soak it in some kind of penetrating oil like PB blaster or kroil.  The best clamping option would be barrel blocks.  If you don't have access to those and, assuming you have a fixed fsb, wrap the fsb in a towel and clamp it in a vise.  Use the correct size wrench and add leverage as necessary.

Oh and make sure its not permed and you're turning the right way.

Will the PB blaster damage the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]

No.  Sounds overtightened on install.  Sometimes it takes some grunt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it come from a state where muzzle devices must be permanently attached?

Can you post pics?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No.  Sounds overtightened on install.  Sometimes it takes some grunt.

Thanks.

Do I need to worry about bending the barrel? Surly it is much to strong...right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did it come from a state where muzzle devices must be permanently attached?

Can you post pics?

No, it did not come from a state where muzzle devices must be permanently attached and it was bought new. I have swapped out the flash suppressor on another barrel from the same manufacturer without any problem, so it must just be stuck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not have a vice and that could be part of the problem. I have been putting the stock between my feet, while standing, and tried to rotate the wrench.

Any suggestions on improvising a vice? Tried a door jam and that did not work...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You could make barrel clamps out of wood that won't scratch the barrel and you will need to get to a vise.  Freind, shop, neighbor.  Check hometown up top and see if you can find a member close to you.  Most anybody here worth a crap will help you out.  Have seen many idiots put over 100 ft lbs on those things trying to index.  Go figure,  who worries about a flash signature anyway.  Maybe in another country while at war,  but most ranges and animals don't shoot back.

You can try a wrench with a cheater on it but if it's over probably 75 ft lbs doubt if you'll get it by yourself.  Got any strong friends who could lend a hand.  Be careful hate to see you screw something up including yourself.  Good luck.

Don't think you will bend the barrel but you could snap an index pin possibly or crack an upper.  Check the hometown above,  many here would love to help you out I'm sure.  Might cost a beer or three.  Sometimes those things can be a little rude.  Another reason I assemble my own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could make barrel clamps out of wood that won't scratch the barrel and you will need to get to a vise.  Freind, shop, neighbor.  Check hometown up top and see if you can find a member close to you.  Most anybody here worth a crap will help you out.  Have seen many idiots put over 100 ft lbs on those things trying to index.  Go figure,  who worries about a flash signature anyway.  Maybe in another country while at war,  but most ranges and animals don't shoot back.

You can try a wrench with a cheater on it but if it's over probably 75 ft lbs doubt if you'll get it by yourself.  Got any strong friends who could lend a hand.  Be careful hate to see you screw something up including yourself.  Good luck.

Don't think you will bend the barrel but you could snap an index pin possibly or crack an upper.  Check the hometown above,  many here would love to help you out I'm sure.  Might cost a beer or three.  Sometimes those things can be a little rude.  Another reason I assemble my own.

Thank you for the information and suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You can damage the rifle by spinning the barrel in the receiver if you don't clamp the barrel in a vice. A propane torch can work wonders, just don't get it red hot.

I have barrel clamps and wrap masking tape around the barrel so the aluminum won't mar the finish. A good firm grip in the vice, some heat and Kroil makes for a relatively easy job. Make sur the force is being transfered to the barrel/vice joint and not the barrel extension/upper receiver connection.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it the same type of rifle and flash suppress as the previous one you did?  You sure Rocksett wasn't used?  Locktite will need some heat and it should be easier to get off.  Somebody just posted about a gunsmith screwing up his flash suppressor because Rocksett was used, in which case it needs to be dipped in water to loosen it I guess.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
If someone used Rocksett, it would need to be soaked in water for several hours.  If it was set with Loctite, you might need to use a torch/oven to break the bond.  If it was installed with a crush washer, you may just need to find a vise and block to get enough torque.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you sure about it not being welded and or pinned? Judging by your screenname you are in MASS, correct? Doesn't that state require flash hiders to be welded? No Matter the length?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are you sure about it not being welded and or pinned? Judging by your screenname you are in MASS, correct? Doesn't that state require flash hiders to be welded? No Matter the length?

Probably this.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top