Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 11:52:22 AM EDT
I want to get an AR-15A2 full size 20 inch barrel rifle.  I've got enough M4 type rifles with flat tops.

I want to get as close to an actual M16A2 as I can get.

Colt is out because they have no bayonet lug or flash suppressor.
I'd have to change the barrel?

Bushmaster or Armalite both make what I want.
Which one is closer/better?

I have 2 Colt 6920s and a BCM-A4.

Maybe I'll just buy another BCM-A4 and put an A2 upper receiver on it?

What to do?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

That.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Have Ken Elmore at SAW built you one with genuine Colt parts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Colt R6601, it is an A2 configuration (it is an HBAR, but I prefer that to the skinny government profile) but has no bayonet lug.  My understanding is that these rifles, which were made in the years leading up to the ban, came from mix-n-match parts bins.  My dad purchased it in 1991 I believe, and one of his friends got one too (same day and same dealer).  They are very different rifles though!  Only a few serial numbers apart, they differ as follows:

Mine:
Large take-down pin
Standard fire control group pins
NO sear block
Flat-side lower receiver (no fence around mag-release)

His buddies:
Standard take-down pin
Large fire control group pins
Sear block
Fenced lower

I believe the R6601 is the last non-compliant A2 style rifle that Colt made.  The receivers are grey in color and they have no bayonet lugs on the front site base, although all the other "evil" features are still present.

I love mine, I remember when my dad brought it home when I was 6 or 7, and he gave it to me when I turned 18.  It has never hiccuped, jammed, or malfunctioned in any way.

You can find them for sale every now and then, and since you already have a few Colts, you might as well add to the Pony stable!

Edit: Just caught the bayonet lug comment you made, but the flash suppressors are still there!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a Colt M16A2 USGI upper half and put it on either a Colt MT6601 Match Target HBAR or MT6700 Match Target Competition HBAR lower.

Another way is to get a USGI Colt M16A2 upper and slap it on another BCM-A4 lower.

What I did myself was I used a USGI Colt M16A2 upper on my Colt Match Target HBAR lower, but the finish color don't match, my upper is Colt gray and my lower is black, but it don't bother me much because most of the military issue are mismatched anyway.

If you get a gray upper you could have it refinished to black if you desire.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
For my A2 I bought a Colt MT 6601 and then a Colt Government profile A2 barrel assembly, they show up often on the EE and Gunbroker. Just changed out the barrels and voila! You can sell the heavy barrel and come near to breaking even on the barrel change.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want to get an AR-15A2 full size 20 inch barrel rifle.  I've got enough M4 type rifles with flat tops.

I want to get as close to an actual M16A2 as I can get.

Colt is out because they have no bayonet lug or flash suppressor.
I'd have to change the barrel?

Bushmaster or Armalite both make what I want.
Which one is closer/better?

I have 2 Colt 6920s and a BCM-A4.

What to do?

Either an older pre-ban Colt R6551 or a Sabre Defence like this if you can find one.

Cheers,

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For my A2 I bought a Colt MT 6601 and then a Colt Government profile A2 barrel assembly

I did the very same thing...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For my A2 I bought a Colt MT 6601 and then a Colt Government profile A2 barrel assembly, they show up often on the EE and Gunbroker. Just changed out the barrels and voila! You can sell the heavy barrel and come near to breaking even on the barrel change....

I like your idea the best.

Your pictures are exactly what I want.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to build a clone buy an A-2 Colt or FN complete upper and get a NDS A-2 lower in desired color.  Have Indent engrave the correct markings and fake sear pin.  Stuff the lower full of Colt or FN internals use surplus furniture and you are there.  Figure $850 or less shopping a little for a basically excellent condition A-2 clone.  Check A-2 section on forum.  These are about the cheapest builds going right now for USGI excellent condition surplus parts.  I've never spent that much but don't have an engraved lower either.  Engraving is an easy $100.   I have also used a few of the Bushmaster govt profile barrels on builds and they shot great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BCM-A4 barrel as M4 feedramps. The barrel wouldn't be correct.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top