Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:17:26 AM EDT
Was looking at it and from looking down the back of the rifle and it seems to go ever so slightly to the left. rightI haven't noticed it before and have only shot about 200 rds down it. I recently changed on the FH. I KNOW I'm not strong enough to bend the goddamn barrel... well maybe not. hurr hurr Did not use any sort of block. Just legs and hands. (stupid)

ETA: Contacted KAC and they said that this had been an issue with a run of their rifles, with the rails being canted a bit. Sent me an RMA number and they are going to fix it. SWEET

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was looking at it and from looking down the back of the rifle and it seems to go ever so slightly to the left. I haven't noticed it before and have only shot about 200 rds down it. I recently changed on the FH. I KNOW I'm not strong enough to bend the goddamn barrel...

do you have any pictures?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you zero your sights and/or optic? If so, don't worry about it.

The rail may be slightly canted, but it's not really cause for alarm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
At work. But I plan on going shooting tomorrow.

ETA: Haven't shot it with the BC yet, so I don't know if I was the one that fucked it up, or if I was, if it will be okay. So I'm just kind of wondering if it is possible to bend a barrel by putting just enough force to loosen or tighten an FH. I wasn't pressing down on the barrel or anything. Nothing other than the requirements for removing the FH.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
what were you using to support the barrel to swap muzzle devices?

you could have twisted the barrel in the upper
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My hand. lol fuck me. Gonna have to send it to adco.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

were you holding the upper or the barrel itself?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

were you holding the upper or the barrel itself?

Combination. Was standing up. The Rail with a vfg was between my knees being held and my left hand was holding the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
But i will say my left hand was there for support, not for preventing torsion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
There is not way that you twisted or bent the barrel taking of the FH by hand.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking. And even if I twisted the barrel a tad then that means it was bent to begin with, just wasnt as noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I just looked at my SR-15, it's good.

tagged for updates/info.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking. And even if I twisted the barrel a tad then that means it was bent to begin with, just wasnt as noticeable.

No, you didn't twist the barrel itself. You may have slightly bent the indexing pin. Whenever you change a muzzle device you always want to use a set of barrel vice blocks (they're like $10) to vice down the barrel and prevent the torque from taking the device off and putting the new one on from being applied to any other part of the gun.

Edit: I mean you may have torqued the barrel, causing the barrel indexing pin to slightly deform the upper. Steel vs Aluminum and all that. Can you check that your upper receiver index pin channel is not messed up at all? How much torque did you apply to the muzzle device?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you didn't twist the barrel itself. You may have slightly bent the indexing pin. Whenever you change a muzzle device you always want to use a set of barrel vice blocks (they're like $10) to vice down the barrel and prevent the torque from taking the device off and putting the new one on from being applied to any other part of the gun.

Edit: I mean you may have torqued the barrel, causing the barrel indexing pin to slightly deform the upper. Steel vs Aluminum and all that. Can you check that your upper receiver index pin channel is not messed up at all? How much torque did you apply to the muzzle device?

I applied as much as needed to get the A2 off and the BC to where it needed to be. No more no less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to be pissed if I messed up my upper :(
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you check that your upper receiver index pin channel is not messed up at all? How much torque did you apply to the muzzle device?

Where? Pics?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a pic I stole from Google image search but... Hopefully it helps show you. The pin on the barrel is the index pin. The slot in the upper receiver (where it's threaded) is the index pin channel. This is where it may possibly be damaged if you put a lot of torque into the barrel. Hopefully the upper receiver didn't give at all. I could be wrong but I think if the barrel nut was tight it should help stop the index pin from being turned.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a pic I stole from Google image search but... Hopefully it helps show you. The pin on the barrel is the index pin. The slot in the upper receiver (where it's threaded) is the index pin channel. This is where it may possibly be damaged if you put a lot of torque into the barrel. Hopefully the upper receiver didn't give at all. I could be wrong but I think if the barrel nut was tight it should help stop the index pin from being turned.

http://shanedaughtry.com/images/Barrel%20Nut%202.jpg

Thanks for that man. As far as I know, I wouldn't think that Knights would allow this to happen (barrel nut too loose to hold back index pin).
I don't know how uppers really work so I am lost when it comes to this
Thanks all for informing me, the noob. :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
There has been a few cases of barrels/rails being crooked on SR15s here in the last month.
IIRC send it back to knights and they'll fix it up.

I'll see if I can find the threads or search SR15 for the last 30 days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There has been a few cases of barrels/rails being crooked on SR15s here in the last month.
IIRC send it back to knights and they'll fix it up.

I'll see if I can find the threads or search SR15 for the last 30 days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This. I also read this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what i said.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]
What's my next move?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's my next move?

Shoot it to see whether or not you even had to worry in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#23]
call kac
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's my next move?

If it worries you enough or your irons are grossly over adjusted then call up Knights and find out what you need to do to turn it in for repair.

Or contact this OP:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=533962

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's my next move?

Exactly. I guess my first post in this thread was ignored because OP hasn't shot it, or tried to zero the sights.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What's my next move?

Exactly. I guess my first post in this thread was ignored because OP hasn't shot it, or tried to zero the sights.  

Nothing was ignored.... But I haven't been able to get to the range, so I wanted to go ahead and get other options out of the way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What's my next move?

So yeah, I guess you're right. But it wasn't ignored, it just got put to the back of the line of solutions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adco, great as they are, don't play with the URX.
Try Gun Gallery or MSTN.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the rail is canted. That's about it. Take a flat edge of some sort and run it down the upper to the rail. See if they are in alignment.
Doesn't look like anything is wrong with the barrel. Doubt very seriously you bent the barrel by trying to remove the flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's my next move?

So yeah, I guess you're right. But it wasn't ignored, it just got put to the back of the line of solutions.
You may not need a "solution" if you can zero your rifle. That was my point. I can find dozens of cosmetic things wrong with my rifles if I sit there and pick at them. As long as they function as designed, none of the cosmetic irregularities really matter though, do they?

Nothing is perfect, and trying to get there will end in frustration. You bought a $2k rifle, enjoy it.

However, if you are unable to zero the sights, I am sure KAC will amend that. KevinB on this site can assist you.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Could be just an optical illusion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Stop!!! - do nothing else until you shoot the rifle and then report back about how ot shoots and how you were able to adjust the iron sights....<><....:)
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#33]
ttt
edit in first post
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top