Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 8:34:44 AM EDT
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5670849588_6cfe5d886b_m.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5670850340_b67241b17a_m.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5670846292_2d30fd01f7_m.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5670278215_861e954899_m.jpg
When I walked in to the Grand Opening of Cabela's new location in Allen, Texas, I certainly didn't go in thinking I was shopping for yet another rifle.

And yet, there I stood, sale flyer in hand, feeling that old familiar itch as I looked at the image of a Smith&Wesson M&P Sporter taunting me with its $599 price tag. Mind you, I'm a complete newbie in the world of AR rifles, and don't know what to look for or what to expect from one brand over another, but I did know that there was a sudden burning sensation in my pocket where a cash-shaped hole was developing.

The overworked (you would not believe the crowds in the gun dept.), but very friendly fellow at the counter apologized that they just sold out, but managed to get permission from a buyer to let me handle his purchase before it was boxed up to leave the store. Despite the lack of a forward assist or dust cover (desirable traits for which I later learned the names - see "total newbie" reference above), I would have bought one on the spot. Alas, my only option was a rain-check if I wanted one.

Seeing my disappointment, and perhaps smelling the smoke rising out of my wallet, the salesman pointed out the Bushmaster Carbon 15 O.R.C. Ultralight package for only $50 more. It came with a Bushnell Red Dot scope, two magazines and a hard case, but more importantly to my mind, featured the forward-assist and dust cover which made it more "complete" in my eyes. The fact that the upper and lower receivers were made of something other than metal, if even mentioned to me, was lost in the flames of my sudden gun-lust.

It wasn't until later at home that I became aware of the "carbon" aspects of my new rifle. My first thoughts were about how very modern this was and how surprised I was that a detail of this magnitude could have completely slipped my (admittedly distracted) notice at the store.

Naturally, I turned to the internet for more information on carbon fiber receivers ...  Well, I don't have to tell you the range of responses I found.

I spent the next few days doing an exhaustive search on everything I could find on my purchase to determine if I'd made a mistake. Throwing out the mindlessly-biased negative comments from those who never touched one "but heard something about them", as well as the breathlessly defensive positive reviews from folks desperate to validate their personal self-worth based on their purchases - I came to the following conclusion: I did just fine.

I'm sure the seasoned experts among you will tell me how I could have done better, product or price-wise, and I believe you. I also believe that the rifle is more than adequate for what I will likely ever ask of it as a civilian marksman and hunter.

While I am not new to shooting by any stretch of the imagination (I have two safes filled with C&R and Comm-Bloc rifles), I look forward to all the useful advice and suggestions on how I can best learn to get the most out of my new AR.

Keith / HeadCheese

Edit: I'll have to wait 'till I get home to post a picture to satisfy the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd, but here's a YouTube link to me fumbling out the first three shots at the Garland Public Shooting Range http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b0o5WgcGc
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site...but were gonna need some pics, man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I walked in to the Grand Opening of Cabela's new location in Allen, Texas, I certainly didn't go in thinking I was shopping for yet another rifle.

And yet, there I stood, sale flyer in hand, feeling that old familiar itch as I looked at the image of a Smith&Wesson M&P Sporter taunting me with its $599 price tag. Mind you, I'm a complete newbie in the world of AR rifles, and don't know what to look for or what to expect from one brand over another, but I did know that there was a sudden burning sensation in my pocket where a cash-shaped hole was developing.

The overworked (you would not believe the crowds in the gun dept.), but very friendly fellow at the counter apologized that they just sold out, but managed to get permission from a buyer to let me handle his purchase before it was boxed up to leave the store. Despite the lack of a forward assist or dust cover (desirable traits for which I later learned the names - see "total newbie" reference above), I would have bought one on the spot. Alas, my only option was a rain-check if I wanted one.

Seeing my disappointment, and perhaps smelling the smoke rising out of my wallet, the salesman pointed out the Bushmaster Carbon 15 O.R.C. Ultralight package for only $50 more. It came with a Bushnell Red Dot scope, two magazines and a hard case, but more importantly to my mind, featured the forward-assist and dust cover which made it more "complete" in my eyes. The fact that the upper and lower receivers were made of something other than metal, if even mentioned to me, was lost in the flames of my sudden gun-lust.

It wasn't until later at home that I became aware of the "carbon" aspects of my new rifle. My first thoughts were about how very modern this was and how surprised I was that a detail of this magnitude could have completely slipped my (admittedly distracted) notice at the store.

Naturally, I turned to the internet for more information on carbon fiber receivers ...  Well, I don't have to tell you the range of responses I found.

I spent the next few days doing an exhaustive search on everything I could find on my purchase to determine if I'd made a mistake. Throwing out the mindlessly-biased negative comments from those who never touched one "but heard something about them", as well as the breathlessly defensive positive reviews from folks desperate to validate their personal self-worth based on their purchases - I came to the following conclusion: I did just fine.

I'm sure the seasoned experts among you will tell me how I could have done better, product or price-wise, and I believe you. I also believe that the rifle is more than adequate for what I will likely ever ask of it as a civilian marksman and hunter.

While I am not new to shooting by any stretch of the imagination (I have two safes filled with C&R and Comm-Bloc rifles), I look forward to all the useful advice and suggestions on how I can best learn to get the most out of my new AR.

Keith / HeadCheese

Edit: I'll have to wait 'till I get home to post a picture to satisfy the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd, but here's a YouTube link to me fumbling out the first three shots at the Garland Public Shooting Range http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b0o5WgcGc

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rifle, it will serve you well :)  First posts aren't usually articulated this nicely, good job!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome and nice first post. The Bushy Carbon series wouldn't be my first choice but if you test it and it works well for you, good for you! Shoot the hell out of it.

One tip I have for you (based on the video): It looks like you're immediately releasing the trigger after firing, which can throw your shots off a bit. I'd recommend holding the trigger for a moment after the shot. This causes less movement in the gun during the shot. It's called "follow through". I'm no master marksman but this may or may not help you.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck to you with your new purchase... Welcome to Black Rifle Disease.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure you're right about the trigger-control issue. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Enjoy your new gun .
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome!

Have fun with your new gun. If you are looking for aftermarket parts for your gun, The shiny list of sponsor links in the above banner can get you off to a good start.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on the new toy.  I was in there yesterday, but steered clear of the counter for the exact reason that sucked you in, LOL!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top