Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 12:33:21 AM EDT
So I put together a BCM 14.5" midlength with the intent of keeping it as a KISS rifle––standard handguards and FSB, and Larue fixed BUIS. I have several other decked out ARs with optics, rails, lights, etc that I use on duty, and I wanted something lightweight and simple with the new BCM.

My wife and I shoot a lot of 3-gun and share a dedicated competition AR that is setup like the typical race rifles with 18" mid-weight rifle barrel, free float tube, variable optic, etc. However, we attended another club's close range carbine match (IDPA style, 25 yards max) one weekend, so I decided use the new BCM KISS rifle to test it out in a competitive atmosphere. Wife decided to keep things simple and just use whatever AR I used.

Big mistake.

By the end of the match, she decided that not only did she need the BCM 14.5" midlength more than I did, but she also needed one of my Aimpoint T1s off another rifle of mine for it. Since the only other AR of mine that she likes is the big competition rifle, I figured that should could use the BCM for more practical-type environments like the shorter range carbine matches and carbine courses where she would not have the physical stamina to shoulder the large 3-gun rifle for extended periods of time.

My practical carbines usually get an Aimpoint, railed handguard, and white light at the minimum. However, this rifle needs to be setup the best for her, not me, and I don't want to lose the aspects that made her love the rifle in the first place––light weight, balance, and smooth recoil impulse.

Can any women (or men you can speak for their SO) chime in on what they prefer in a practical/defensive style AR?

Money is not really a factor since I have a Larue 13.2" rail and folding Troy sight set laying around that I can either use or trade for parts if we decide to modify the rifle. Also, I'm using the BCM upper on a registered SBR lower (identical to the BCM lower it will eventually go on) until we decide how we want it setup and either permanently attach the FH or register that lower as an SBR, so I have a bit of flexibility to try things out before making them permanent.

Here's a video of her shooting the match with the BCM:

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
By practical/defensive style AR you mean any one that you feel is reliable and comfortable shooting with? I do not do matches so I can not chime in on that but me and my S.O. are both military and after our last deployment i got into AR's. You know for training (justifying cost) so i built a AR that i felt was a good training tool but was told its to heavy (Im a grenadier or a saw gunner). So for her rifle I use a 16" bcm light weight upper with magpul moe guard and polymer lower rail and mil. issued knight front grip , ergo grip and standerd m4 butt stock with a heavy buffer and with a micro dot sight. Its very light weight fast on target and she loves it. Some thing in a mid length gas system might do you better do to the comp. style grip on the rifle (im simulating a combat rifle). Has she tried a light weight upper?  As far as the light weight barrel holding up to extended rapid fire i really havent tried it but the moe handguard does have a heat sheild. I dont think you would have a situation where that would be a problem but i dont know how you train or play. As far as recoil goes its a little snappier feeling but the lighter you go the worse perceived recoil will be I have not tried different recoil spring weights yet but it is on the list of things to do and i do use a m16 style bolt. As far as your railed handguard and light the moe handguard takes polymer rails and a polymer viking tactical light mount and all polymer surefire g2 will still be very light (yes iv tried it but shes not getting my light). Have you tried any compensators or do you do a lot of low light or prone position shooting where flash or dust will be a problem?

Id like to add I cried a little when the 1911 hit the rocks. Ever try a serpa holster? Though the serpa holster will wear the finish down more than the rock drop over time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife is devil handed, so she uses a Stag lefty rifle with an accupoint.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
While we don't compete, my 5"0", 110lb wife thinks my RRA middy with lightweight, 14.7" bbl and pinned A2 FH, and simple rear sight is light and simple and she enjoys shooting it.  Its clear she feels it fits her better than my heavier A4 rifle and anything to keep her interested in them is a good thing by my standards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The women I've assisted have all went with the following and been extremely happy:

14.5" LW Middy
BattleComp 1.5 pinned
11" TRX Handguards
Lower with MOE Furniture & a Good Trigger

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The women I've assisted have all went with the following and been extremely happy:

14.5" LW Middy

BattleComp 1.5 pinned

11" TRX Handguards

That sounds like a good setup. I'll pass it along.

As for the holster, it's a Comp-Tac holster with good retention. However, the front of the magwell hit the ground when she went to rollover prone dislodging the pistol from the holster. No amount of passive retention would have kept the gun in the holster
after hitting the ground like that. Some things are only learned the hard way, but now she knows how not to go to rollover prone.

I appreciate the replies so far. Just to clarify, I am not getting a new upper. I am only trying to plan on what accessories (if any) to add to the current BCM 14.5" midlength setup in the video above. An Aimpoint T1 has already been added.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
So where's the problem? You have a wife that looks very nice, shoots matches, and wants more parts to mod a gun. I see no problem.

Mid length 14.5" will be light and the softest shooting gas system. The 14.5 might feel much lighter to her compared to the 18". Spikes ST-T2 buffer to smooth the gun as much as you can. And a PWS FSC556 for muzzle control. Magpul CTR stock to keep the wieght down. I would agree with the Aimpoint T-1 for speed and low weight. Leave the light and the hand guards up to her for whatever she wants. You do have to make her love the rifle.

Big props for wife that shoots. I'm going to ask my wife to do a weekend pistol training with me this next month. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If she really likes it how it is, just adding the T-1, don't change much. If she needs a longer handguard to accommodate her grip then I'll 2nd wahoo95's suggestion of an 11" TRX Extreme. I recently swapped a JP/VTAC tube for an 11" TRX-E on my gf's 16" lw carbine and she likes the smaller diameter. Like me, my gf prefers MOE handguards to standard M4 type handguards, they just fit her hands better. I can't tell from your video but if the BCM is not a lw and you want to keep the std fsb you might consider a JP adjustable fsb to really make it as smooth and easy shooting as possible. Otherwise, just KISS.

Your wife did pretty well on that course!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

14.5" LW Middy
BattleComp 1.5 pinned
11" TRX Handguards

That sounds like a good setup. I'll pass it along.

As for the holster, it's a Comp-Tac holster with good retention. However, the front of the magwell hit the ground when she went to rollover prone dislodging the pistol from the holster. No amount of passive retention would have kept the gun in the holster after hitting the ground like that. Some things are only learned the hard way, but now she knows how not to go to rollover prone.

I appreciate the replies so far. Just to clarify, I am not getting a new upper. I am only trying to plan on what accessories (if any) to add to the current BCM 14.5" midlength setup in the video above. An Aimpoint T1 has already been added.

I really like the Troy TRX but You wouldn't be able to use the TRX with the FSB.   If she wants a rail, then a DD Omega might be a good choice.  They are thin, very sturdy and easy to install without removing the FSB.

Nice shooting, btw!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife runs a Mod stock because it's very light weight,  comfortable, and so she can keep a couple cotton plugs with strings for... bullet holes or something I guess?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
We (my wife and I ) don't compete but we do like to shoot.  I built this one for her and she loves it.  The ACOG would not be great for the type of shooting your wife is doing, but the irons are right there to be used for close up.The weight is nice and my wife (looks about the size of yours) handles it just fine.  I added a light to it not too long ago for SHTF/camping reasons, and it added probably a pound with mount and everything.

I would suggest trying a cav arms lower, if its too long, just chop it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife has a delton m4 kit built with an h2, a poon pad, and an ultra dot sight on an MOE forend. Light weight, she loves the optic but prefers carry handle rear sights.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top