Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 11:02:44 AM EDT
What kind of accuracy could I expect from a 10.5 build?  I am strongly considering getting the ball rolling on one.  Out to 100 yds is all I meed with this particular set-up for this gun in my collection.  I havent really found the answers I am looking for through google.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

broham
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What kind of accuracy could I expect from a 10.5 build?  I am strongly considering getting the ball rolling on one.  Out to 100 yds is all I meed with this particular set-up for this gun in my collection.  I havent really found the answers I am looking for through google.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

broham

For 100 yards you will not be able to tell the difference between the 10.5 and say a 16 inch barrel. As long as the barrel stabilizes the bullet the length doesn't effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot mine at 200 yards with combat accuracy.
Dave N
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
They can be very accurate...as posted, longer barrel does not necessarily = more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
For 100 yards you will not be able to tell the difference between the 10.5 and say a 16 inch barrel. As long as the barrel stabilizes the bullet the length doesn't effect accuracy.

Agreed,

I shoot coke cans with mine at 100 yards, they dance just fine

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Read the Mk18 thread; there is some great info in there regarding accuracy at various ranges.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend uses a HK 416 in 10.5 length, and says he can hit basically just about anything he shoots at if he is willing to take the shot.  He is, BTW, very experienced in shooting the M4 family of wpns, his practice time alone is way more than most people here could afford to shoot.  Post #1200....moving on up in the world!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They can be very accurate...as posted, longer barrel does not necessarily = more accurate.

this. barrel length has far more to do with velocity than accuracy which at long ranges will have an affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A shorter barrel should be a more ridgid barrel.  Giving it greater accuracy.  The longer barrel should have more "flex" to it.
The down side is reduced velocity from the shorter barrel, giving you less effective range.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from the range today, I was shooing my MK18 Mod 1ish clone at a hundred yards. It has a Noveske 10.5 CQB, Young NM BCG, Gemtech HALO & Aimpoint M4 and I was keeping about 1.25-1.5" 5 shot groups, with occasional flyers ruining some groups. Ammo was Prvi 69grn Match and the upper has had an untold number of rounds fired through it full-auto, never exceeding 3 back to back mags before allowing to cool. I would expect a standard Mk18 to be close to that, better or worse. I've got a standard Mod-0, but I've never bothered testing it, after today I'm going to try it out next time.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top