Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 11:02:15 AM EDT
Hi again.

I'm narrowing down what I want- if you didn't see my other post, I'm looking for something like a new-model Stag Arms Model 3 (optics ready) to shoot groundhogs with ranging 0-250, and up to about 400 at the most.

I'm not hot on a permanent front sight, quad rails. I WOULD want to be able to use a bipod and sling and maybe a foregrip (maybe combine them in this kind of thing?)

The Stag is the biggest contender. A local shop has a Model 2 for 859 and could order me a Model 3 for a similar price. However, Bushmaster, RRA, S&W, etc, all have a similar optics ready deal- some boast mil-spec some dont, some boast lifetime warranty, some don't. What do you all recommend? Is Stag good? I'd not heard much of them like I have Bushy or RRA until a while ago, but they seem to be a major player in their own right.

Help is greatly appreciated, I'm counting down days to purchase!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there better?  Of course.
Is there anything wrong with them?  No.

If it's what you want, you will not be disappointed with it.  Stag makes a fine gun.

I owned a Stag, now moved onto a DD.  Even now, I don't think any less of the Stag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
$860 is high for a stag.

I swear we just did this thread last week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto State Armory has really great parts and service.  They have some great offers lately on lowers and LPKs.  

PSA Lower and LPK
Magpul MOE grip
VLTOR A5 stock
BCM 16" mid-lenght
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter #4
Magpul MOE fore end.  / a rail section added
Grip pod LE for a light weight grip and bipod.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I own a Stag Arms Model 8 and have set it up for coyote hunting with a Leupold 2-7x33 VXII scope. I've found it to more than adequate out to and beyond 200 yards. I also own a RRA LAR15 set up for home/personal defense. It would work as well in the field as it does in close quarters. out to 100 yards with NM trigger, iron sights, or the EOTech XPS 2-0 that it wears. I could have configured either rifle for hunting but the Stag simply captured my fancy for dropping small furry critters. Both are accurate and dependable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never had any issues with my 1L. The only "complaint" I have, is the take down pin is tight. (If you call that a complaint)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Stags are GTG

The only reason I would never own one is the fucking deer head on the side of the reciever, Im OCD about stuff like that.  

As long as that does not bother you I see no reason not to go with them. I have 2 friends with a total of 3 Stag rifles and they have no complaints.

ETA: My dad has the S&W ORC which is very similar to the #3 Stag and he is very happy with it, I saw a 5 shot group he shot with M193 Ball that you could probably cover with a quarter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with stag but there are better options.

It sounds like something like a RRA Predator Pursuit or Coyote rifle would be a better fit for what you want to do. I'd check with ADCO or Pete at Legal Transfers for the best deals.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I chose Other...

BCM, Spike's, Daniel Defense, Colt.

Choose one of the four, have no worries, shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
All good stuff, thank you all very much. Sounds like the Stag is indeed an acceptable choice, but I am hearing some suggestions for the Varmint builds by RRA. While I like those, I really like the idea of a collapsible stock and shorter, easier to wield barrel (for home defense- I'm not a true believe that I need this to protect great grandma's antique silverware, but... smoke 'em if ya got 'em, amiright?!)

Thanks again for all the info. More is always welcome.

To the second poster- I'm sorry if we did indeed do this last week. I tried to search before I posted a new one
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for STAG. Have not shot the others but I heard good things about them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Build your own.  

There are tons of stripped (and complete) lowers available.  Just pick and choose which parts you want, which parts you need, and which parts can be skipped.  You could very well end up spending less and getting exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
My stag has preformed as expected, no issues
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All good stuff, thank you all very much. Sounds like the Stag is indeed an acceptable choice, but I am hearing some suggestions for the Varmint builds by RRA. While I like those, I really like the idea of a collapsible stock and shorter, easier to wield barrel (for home defense- I'm not a true believe that I need this to protect great grandma's antique silverware, but... smoke 'em if ya got 'em, amiright?!)

Thanks again for all the info. More is always welcome.

To the second poster- I'm sorry if we did indeed do this last week. I tried to search before I posted a new one

You can get a collapsible stock already installed if you order from Legal Transfers or simply install the stock of your choice yourself. Also, RRA offers both rifles I mentioned in 16" or 20" and the free floated handguard will be a nice upgrade especially if you plan to use a bipod as you mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#14]
My rifles are at least fifty percent STAG components. Very happy with all three.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I build a lower with all Stag parts then dropped a 2HT upper on it. It has run perfectly since day one. I would not think twice about going with Stag again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My precision AR is built off of a Stag originally.  I have had zero problems with Stag, and I would highly recommend them to anyone getting into AR's.  However, that being said, I wasted probably $800 buying a complete rifle.  I've replaced almost every single part on there except the lower receiver, and bolt carrier (OEM upper but had to buy a second one because I found months later that a bad armorer split my original OEM upper   )
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Already posted J&T on other thread.  Build it I say.  All these listed are decent and probably not much difference between them including price.  The Daniel Defense is probably the best carbine listed on paper.  The Stag, or Bushmaster will probably be the most accurate rifle length if you buy one of their target models and the Rock River NM is pretty good also and their rifles get good write ups.  Only have experience with their NM.  Depends on what you want.  Think you said 16" carbine in other post.  As stated in previous post I'd rather have the less than $700 build J&T lightweight tactical kit and maybe upgrade to full float for the extra $50.  Mine is more accurate than my expensive carbines,  period.  I'd be pretty shocked if a fluted 16" bull barrel kit from J&T won't be really impressive shooting less than 400 yards but I haven't tried one.  Figure a Doublestar rifle/carbine would be a good other also.  Have seen some decent DPMS target rifles but I think the above listed are a little better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go Spikes or build my own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Like "the Chart" there is no spikes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Go with spikes!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Stag is good to go for the price. But of your choices listed, I would go with Daniel Defense for the quality.
Dave N
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Stag is the best bang for the buck, both my 1st & 2nd AR's were stag, the only problem I ever had was the BCG not being lubed enough so it short stroked.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Since you are shopping for a varmit rifle then consider a stainless HBAR.  For a factory rifle i really like the Colt CAR-A3 HBAR Elite.

Though any free floated stainless HBAR upper, couple with a lower with a good trigger and stable stock will work great.

This is one use where DPMS is actually an acceptable option. They make some accurate stainless HBARs at affordable prices.

Generous 5.56mm chambers and chrome lined bores are not what you want in this application.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stag is good to go for the price. But of your choices listed, I would go with Daniel Defense for the quality.
Dave N

You would recommend DD for a varmit rifle?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]
the stags i've shot and handled have been nice rifles in the price range,also look at S&W
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top