Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2011 1:43:30 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a m-4 platform style rifle. I am undecided between the S&W at under $600 or the Stag arms at just under $900.  Either one must be NY compliant. I al ready have the S&W 15-22 and really enjoy shooting it but I want to go bigger. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for a M4 profile barrel (203 cuts) then the STAG is the way to go.  The Sport features a CAR straight barrel.  The STAG will also have the forward assist and dust cover.

I have a STAG model2 and it runs like a raped ape.  The 1/9 twist barrel is great for a .22lr conversion as well.  Just make sure you have a rounded hammer if you run the conversion.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Build your own stag 2 for less

504 upper @ legal transfers AWB compliant
65 lower receiver @ PSA
65 a2 stock @ RRA
57 lpk @ PSA

This is 691 shipped. Only thing missing is FFL fee for lower
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
i love my stag
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to build it...

Get the Complete PSA (Palmetto State Armory) 16" M4 Flattop Upper Assembly for $399, and the PSA MOE (includes MOE buttstock, MOE trigger guard, and MOE pistol grip) Lower Build Kit for $124.99 (ar15.com Group Buy).  You can find a MOE first Gen. rear site for less than $40, or the MOE Gen.II rear site for less than $60.  

Get a legal lower from a local Gun Shop fpr $65-$99.  If you are willing to hassle finding a local FFL willing to accept a transfer, you can get a PSA lower receiver from PSA for about $65 right now.

The scariest part about buying parts is not knowing where they were made, and how they were made.  all parts llok good sitting in the box when you receive them.  You'll find out more about them when you try to fit them (too loose or too tight) into/onto the weapon, and after you start shooting it (does it function, and how is it wearing).  The cheap rifle parts kit that I bought in a kit from a predecessor of a large major company needed some parts to be filed to fit correctly, the bolt was not assembled correctly causing an intermittent FTE (failure to extract), and then some of the parts wore rapidly (primarily the hammer) after the weapon was assembled and used.

Buying an assembled weapon with a lifetime warranty doesn't do you much good unless you don't mind eating the the downtime, the cost of shipping, and the shipping risk.  I haven;t had any parts failures in over 20 years of owning ARs, and if I was to fins a part that needed replacement during an after range time session, I would simply replace it from my stash of spare parts I've been accumulating over the years.  With the exception of major parts that may need gunsmithing, it's easier to replace the defective or worn parts yourself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Either are good.  But which s&w and which stag?  They make several models.  The $600 s&w sounds like the optics ready model which is an ephanism for meaning you'll have a hard time finding sights that work.  If that is the case, go stag.

I'll throw another idea out there.  spike's tactical will make any of their guns ban-compliant for a reasonable fee.   Their products are mil spec and have a very good reputation.  Prices are right where that stag is.    $899 before arfcom discount.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Build your own stag 2 for less

504 upper @ legal transfers AWB compliant
65 lower receiver @ PSA
65 a2 stock @ RRA
57 lpk @ PSA

This is 691 shipped. Only thing missing is FFL fee for lower

This!

Or as DansTSX said go through Spike's and they'll make you a ban compliant rifle for a small fee and it'll come out much less than $900 and you'll have a much better rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all your help. I went with a stagarms model 2
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations on a great choice, you will be happy with it....<><....:)
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
STAG
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Good choice!!

Building it or buying it?

Stripped lowers in my area all seem to start at 150 no matter what it is or where I go. So it is worth the time to find a FFL with a reasonable traqnsfer fee. This is you are building.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Stag model 2 which I use for duty and fun. Best bang for the buck,,IMHP.

Plus I like having "ol M16" forward assist, etc. You will get a nice gun case and mouse pad for your 'puter too!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top