Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2011 11:53:30 PM EDT
Ok i know there are a lot of companies that are manufacturing ar15 lowers/uppers and accessories. I was just wondering which mfg's hold their value by comparison to the rest.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
bravo company i would assume, unless youre buying an old school AR built back in the day that hasnt been dicked with
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt....some people say stupid money for Colts (they make a good gun too).

BCM is another good choice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Colt....some people say stupid money for Colts (they make a good gun too).

BCM is another good choice.

is Colt one of those banned lower companies in CA ? i know Bush Master and Armalite are, but are Colt lowers banned too ?

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your market. Here on the EE Bravo, Spikes, DD, Noveske all those brands that are placed on a pedestal will bring good money. If your local area is like mine then it will be Colt, Bushmaster, SW and Armalite.

And dont forget, the more it costs you to buy the more you lose when you sell it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
All guns hold their value pretty well. It really boils down to what people want and what they can afford. The people that buy Colt, Noveske etc. have that kind of money!  The people that buy Spikes and BCM have Spikes and BCM money. It really just depends on the market and what people want and what they are willing to spend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

All guns hold their value pretty well. It really boils down to what people want and what they can afford. The people that buy Colt, Noveske etc. have that kind of money!  The people that buy Spikes and BCM have Spikes and BCM money. It really just depends on the market and what people want and what they are willing to spend.

Sorry, but I find the implication in your post to be -worthy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Why is that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why is that?

You seem to be implying that people who buy Spike's or BCM do so because that's what they can afford, not a Colt or Noveske.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is that?

You seem to be implying that people who buy Spike's or BCM do so because that's what they can afford, not a Colt or Noveske.  

Most of the time people buy what they can afford!  What I was really trying to get across here is that guns hold there value pretty well.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]
When you say "hold thier value" it depends on what type of timeframe we're talking about.

I like Spike's and BCM, but they haven't been around for a long time and are unproven. That, and they don't enjoy the mass of name recognition among a large amount of potential gun buyers that would otherwise drive prices up. Another aspect that might cause a gun to hold value would be scarcity.

As among the tops in investment rifles would be Colt. They have wide recognition and have a track record of being able to hold value. Knights Armament might as well as they are a military contractor and have special edition rifles that would be desired among collectors (though I might keep some of thier rifles NIB if holding value was my primary goal). If by chance another AWB does come down, it really won't matter what brand it is, (even Vulcan!) prices will increase as the pre-ban firearms will be sought due to thier status as grandfathered in.

I personally wouldn't ever buy a rifle solely as an investment, (mostly because I like to shoot the damn thing) but what to look for would be recognition, track record, special features, or scarcity.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is that?

If the shoe fits.  Most people do buy a particular brand because they may not want to put out the money for a 6920 Colt or a Noveske.  It's not about one being better than the other, it's about personal preferences and price points.

I believe Colt holds a higher percentage of initial cost on resale than any other manufacturer.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When you say "hold thier value" it depends on what type of timeframe we're talking about.

I like Spike's and BCM, but they haven't been around for a long time and are unproven. That, and they don't enjoy the mass of name recognition among a large amount of potential gun buyers that would otherwise drive prices up. Another aspect that might cause a gun to hold value would be scarcity.

As among the tops in investment rifles would be Colt. They have wide recognition and have a track record of being able to hold value. Knights Armament might as well as they are a military contractor and have special edition rifles that would be desired among collectors (though I might keep some of thier rifles NIB if holding value was my primary goal). If by chance another AWB does come down, it really won't matter what brand it is, (even Vulcan!) prices will increase as the pre-ban firearms will be sought due to thier status as grandfathered in.

I personally wouldn't ever buy a rifle solely as an investment, (mostly because I like to shoot the damn thing) but waht to look for would be recognition, track record, special features, or scarcity.

THIS..........

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally wouldn't ever buy a rifle solely as an investment, (mostly because I like to shoot the damn thing) but waht to look for would be recognition, track record, special features, or scarcity.

THIS..........

Second.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I was disappointed after shopping my build around at a gun show.  Every dealer I talked with had only heard of Bushmaster or Colt.  AR dealers will know of others, but everyone else has never heard of BCM, Spikes, Noveske...etc.  Get a Bushy lower for your builds so that you can sell to the non-AR informed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Depends on your market. Here on the EE Bravo, Spikes, DD, Noveske all those brands that are placed on a pedestal will bring good money. If your local area is like mine then it will be Colt, Bushmaster, SW and Armalite.

And dont forget, the more it costs you to buy the more you lose when you sell it.

Good point.  Where you sell it makes a difference.  A typical pawn shop or fudd gun shop doesn't know jack about BCM, Spike's, or LMT.  They will recognize Colt, S&W, DPMS, and Bushmaster.

Even on the net, opinions vary.  DPMS is not held in the highest regard here, but the guys on BrianEnos.com seem to like them.  

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

If the shoe fits. Most people do buy a particular brand because they may not want to put out the money for a 6920 Colt or a Noveske. It's not about one being better than the other, it's about personal preferences and price points.

I believe Colt holds a higher percentage of initial cost on resale than any other manufacturer.

I can afford whatever I want when it comes to Non-NFA guns. I buy what makes sense to me, I just make sure its money well spent. I cant see myself benefiting from a Noveske for the price, and when it comes to say Colt. I just dont see it, I can buy a 6920 for 1k. What the hells a grand nowadays, I can hide enough from two of my paychecks to buy one and the wife would likely not notice. I did say likely she wouldnt notice.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top