Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 5:42:43 PM EDT
What do you guys think, does a flash hider affect accuracy or not? My buddy says his AR didn't come around accuracy wise untill he took off the flash hider. Have there been any test done on this subject or not?
Thanks~
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
An awful lot of highpower service rifle shooters would tell you it is not a problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex flashiders actually help accuracy. Don't think a properly made flashider would hurt anything.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Some people think that crush washers put stress on the barrel and effect accuracy. I don't know either way, but I guess its plausible. I used peel washers on my precision build because once I spent all that other money on it, the extra .50 didn't seem like expensive insurance to wring out every bit of accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Vortex flashiders actually help accuracy. Don't think a properly made flashider would hurt anything.

I've heard this, never seen anything to the contrary with one, but have never seen any proof that it's true, either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know what level of accuracy you need, but I have a couple RRA guns with flash hiders that will shoot sub 3/4 MOA, 5 shots with match ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard this, never seen anything to the contrary with one, but have never seen any proof that it's true, either.

I've heard this too and I've seen no evidence proving it. I had one on my M&P15 and I don't think it did anything.

I think it's all marketing hype.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
How is the noise level with the vortex???
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If the barrel didn't have one yet had a perfect crown, that would be the best scenario, no ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Flash suppressors, or muzzle threads at least do two things from a mechanical point of view.

First, by turning down and threading the end of the barrel, there are enormous forces being put on it. It is possible that reducing the diameter of the barrel can cause the bore to expand ever so slightly and threading does not help matters.

Second, is the torque from the muzzle device. Many highpower shooters will time the suppressor with a peel washer and then put some blue Loctite on the threads to keep it in place, thus putting a very small amount of torque on the terminal end of the barrel. Torquing up a crush washer, again, puts some pretty serious stress on the barrel.

All of this is from a pure accuracy standpoint. Most ARs are not accurate enough to notice it, but if you stack up enough variables, something will bite you in the ass sooner or later.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Flash suppressors, or muzzle threads at least do two things from a mechanical point of view.

First, but turning down and thread the end of the barrel, there are enormous forces being put on it. It is possible that reducing the diameter of the barrel can cause the bore to expand ever so slightly and threading does not help matters.

Second, is the torque from the muzzle device. Many highpower shooters will time the suppressor with a peel washer and then put some blue Loctite on the threads to keep it in place, thus putting a very small amount of torque on the terminal end of the barrel. Torquing up a crush washer, again, puts some pretty serious stress on the barrel.

All of this is from a pure accuracy standpoint. Most ARs are not accurate enough to notice it, but if you stack up enough variables, something will bite you in the ass sooner or later.

The more you post the more I value your opinion, (not like I didn't from the start, cause you always made sense to me), so.... anyway, what do you run ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The more you post the more I value your opinion, (not like I didn't from the start, cause you always made sense to me), so.... anyway, what do you run ?

I run a brake on my carbine, held on with Loctite, and a Phantom on my SPR-ish rifle secured the same way. They torque to position hand tight. Both of them are 1/2x28. Neither are what I consider precision rigs, though.

I run muzzle devices on those because I'm more concerned with running the crown into something than anything else given the way they're used.

Any new barrels I make will have 5/8x24 threads, if they have threads. If I build another Service Rifle, I'll probably just crown it and go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
As a highpower shooter, I hand-tighten the A2 FH as does the AMU. I dont torque it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do you guys think, does a flash hider affect accuracy or not?

A complete NON-issue for non-precision guns.  And on 1/2-28 threaded barrels in the caliber .223, there's plenty of meat around the bore to make that a non issue as well.  Larger caliber guns?  I don't know...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top