Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:31:58 AM EDT
I work with a girl who is looking into getting an AR for the job. She is pretty small (just over 5ft and 100lbs). Needs to be a complete rifle as DIY's are not allowed by policy. A same make upper and lower could be purchased and pinned together. Added weight items like a sling and a light are needed but an optic is optional. I saw Bushmaster makes a "carbon" AR model, but see issues with buffer tube cracking the reciever. I suggested 20rnd mags instead of 30rnds to keep weight down also.

So who makes the lightest AR?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Without going to the polymer lowers or the carbon fiber uppers(bushmaster) I'd say something like the colt 6520. I want to say it is like 5.8 pounds unloaded. Has an a2 upper and a lightweight barrel. Still going to be a quality weapon. If you want one with a flat top then maybe a bravo company lightweight barrel profile upper with a bcm lower.

Bushmaster makes a "super lightweight barreled gun that is like 5.1 pounds unloaded).

Add a pound or so for a loaded mag to either gun.

Past that add a sling and a small light and your gtg.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I work with a girl who is looking into getting an AR for the job. She is pretty small (just over 5ft and 100lbs). Needs to be a complete rifle as DIY's are not allowed by policy. A same make upper and lower could be purchased and pinned together. Added weight items like a sling and a light are needed but an optic is optional. I saw Bushmaster makes a "carbon" AR model, but see issues with buffer tube cracking the reciever. I suggested 20rnd mags instead of 30rnds to keep weight down also.

I'd have to say Colt 6520. Then again, I am biased - already have two.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Apologies 2x tap

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Women Marine (and other Marines of smaller stature) s have learnt well with M16A2's for years.  Some have even excelled.

Lighter rifles more often tend toward more perceived recoil.  This can turn-off many new shooters.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
You could do a Spike's 14.5 lightweight middy w/ MOEs from AIM for $549, Spike's stripped lower $80, PSA MOE lower build kit $140, TLR-1 on MOE illumination rail, choice of rear sight. This will be about 6.7lbs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bushmaster Carbine with the 16" pencil barel and it runs great. Very light almost like a toy. I run a heavy buffer, heavy buffer spring and extractor spring with plenty of Slip 2000 and the gun runs like a champ.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this a job in Law Enforcement?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am so glad someone has already recommended the Colt 6520.  Quite possibly THE quintessential KISS carbine.  Slap on a nice comp (my vote is the Battlecomp 2.0) and you are g2g.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster with a couple of upgrades
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bushmaster with a couple of upgrades

Yup another good choice, same configuration as Colt 6520/6720.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Her size shouldn't have anything to do with it. If she is LEO then she has to be able to handle larger suspects just like her larger co-workers, correct? So, the weight of a weapon should be of no consequence. If she insists on a LW AR then there are several LW options out there. You should already be familiar with them. I would not employ a Bushy Carbon for LE work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Women Marine (and other Marines of smaller stature) s have learnt well with M16A2's for years.  Some have even excelled.

Lighter rifles more often tend toward more perceived recoil.  This can turn-off many new shooters.

YMMV

My cousin is the same size as the girl in question (5' 100lb), she is an MP and went to Afghanistan last year. She carried a SAW.

Not to mention a lighter rifle will move more when aiming. If the issue is a complaint about having to carry it all day a gym membership might be in order. Just $0.02 from a guy who carries an M4 all day every day with a 60lb vest.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#13]
If she is LEO then she has to be able to handle larger suspects just like her larger co-workers, correct?

That was my first thought as well.  A pound on her AR probably won't matter if she's able to take down a 250# male suspect.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I came in here to say this.  I'm trying to find a 6520 upper half for wifey.

Outside of that, a 14.5" lightweight carbine from Spikes, DD, or BCM would be a good choice.  Use the ST-2 buffer and a pinned battlecomp for recoil control.  Do a standard FSB along with a DD A1.5 rear with a Aimpoint H-1 and you are GTG.  I'd recommend carbine over middy in this instance as the FSB being closer to the shooter makes the barrel "feel" slightly lighter.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I work with a girl who is looking into getting an AR for the job. She is pretty small (just over 5ft and 100lbs). Needs to be a complete rifle as DIY's are not allowed by policy. So who makes the lightest AR?

I would go the SBR route with a Colt 6933, Not cheap but I can tell you from experience that in a hot situation a 16" barrel is too damn long for getting it out of a patrol car in a hurry!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I would stick with a smaller light too, something small like is used on a pistol. My surefire M951 (8.6 oz) on the end seems to really add weight where you dont want it. I suspect something like a streamlight TLR-1 (4.18 oz) would balance much  better and still work very well. I have not tried this yet but will soon. 20 rd mags are a good idea too, plenty of firepower.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies.

No she is not expected to handle someone 2.5x her size, is anyone really expected to do that. With that said she can handle herself pretty well. Those of us who already carrie ARs will be giving her a demo in the next week or two so she can see handle the different setups. I'm not sure that the 1-2lbs that will be saved are going to make that big of a difference, just have to convince her of that.

The SBR route is a no go b/c the man will not sign off on that for duty, must be 16".

The KISS Colt is looking pretty good as an option.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
My daughter is twelve and has her own Colt LE6920. She can handle it just fine

I'll echo the previous suggestion of the 6520 or the flattop 6720 if your friend wants a super lightweight carbine that is still hell and back reliable. Although I don't know the exact weight off the top of my head my Bushmaster Patrolman's carbines are pretty light too.

Here's a pic to show your friend:

The bottom one belongs to my daughter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
A rack grade M4 is pretty lite as is
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work with a girl who is looking into getting an AR for the job. She is pretty small (just over 5ft and 100lbs). Needs to be a complete rifle as DIY's are not allowed by policy. So who makes the lightest AR?

I would go the SBR route with a Colt 6933, Not cheap but I can tell you from experience that in a hot situation a 16" barrel is too damn long for getting it out of a patrol car in a hurry!

+1

SBR

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top