Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2011 6:35:42 PM EDT
Hi guys,

My first ar - sorry if this is stupid.

I bought a Daniel Defense rifle, brand new.  Took it to the range today, ran great - no FTF/FTE/etc.  I ran about 200 rounds through (pmc bronze) - around 100-125 rounds the barrel was getting REALLY hot and smoking a lot.  I did run some 'rapid' fire but mainly it was 1 shot every couple seconds.

Anyway, it was getting to the point where I started to get a little worried so I stopped shooting it.  Anyway when I got back home I took it out to clean it.  The barrel is much more gray than black now, it was a dark black color.  I really don't care about the color, just wondering if this is normal or if I should talk to DD about it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's like a new Colt, they always have a lot of oil on them out of the box, that's what causes the smoke when the barrel gets hot.. Nothing to worry about, it's pretty normal. No need to stop shooting because of a little smoke,. Now if the barrel starts glowing red, then worry about it! Seriously, it could only get that hot firing full auto.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

My first ar - sorry if this is stupid.

I bought a Daniel Defense rifle, brand new.  Took it to the range today, ran great - no FTF/FTE/etc.  I ran about 200 rounds through (pmc bronze) - around 100-125 rounds the barrel was getting REALLY hot and smoking a lot.  I did run some 'rapid' fire but mainly it was 1 shot every couple seconds.

Anyway, it was getting to the point where I started to get a little worried so I stopped shooting it.  Anyway when I got back home I took it out to clean it.  The barrel is much more gray than black now, it was a dark black color.  I really don't care about the color, just wondering if this is normal or if I should talk to DD about it.

Thanks

the actual barrel color should be a more grey color, but what you probably saw was what they use to protect the barrel during storage burning off, so its nothing to worry about

hell i coat mine under the HG's after a range trip cause i dont clean there and every time i go to the range my gun starts smoking its no biggie
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened to me. I have a DD.

No biggie.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
This is normal in the guns I have when they are new.. It is just burning the factory oil off the barrel..
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations, you broke it's cherry!!!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If it ain't smokin', you ain't workin'

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Parkerizing is designed to hold oil so the parts don't rust. Wipe down the outside of the barrel with oil, it will thank you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congratulations, you broke it's cherry!!!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
congrats on your new gun. No question is dumb to ask. (well within reason) your rifle is gtg
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, as stated above, just re-oil that sucker, completely normal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
you havn't shot it enough
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I was 99% sure it was normal but it was pretty stinky and I didn't want to be responsible for burning down a building due to my negligence so I let it rest.  I had wiped it down pretty well so there was no wet oil but obviously a lot had soaked into the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Hi,

I am looking ar-15 platform for  shooting to targets. I am not absolutely newguy because early I've shooting  with Saiga so can you help me to choos semi-auto rifle which cost about 1500 $ ? it should be .223 or .308 cal. H&K 417/416 is my desire but it's to expensive Sorry for my language, I'm from Lithuania. Kiek belakbeciau jus vis vien nesuprasit

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
good luck with your new toy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Why good luck? I don't buy yet. I am looking for Ar-15 type gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck in well wishes, just like saying "Have Fun!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you real idiot ar fake it.  I'm saying that I want to buy a new gun and you wish me luck. So anyone don't help me to buy new gun?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep, as stated above, just re-oil that sucker, completely normal.

Yep, it's like a cast iron skillet. Re-oil and smoke it off. It makes a nice protective layer (doubt that's true, but it sounds good). Its no biggy, keep shooting!

Quoted:
Are you real idiot ar fake it.  I'm saying that I want to buy a new gun and you wish me luck. So anyone don't help me to buy new gun?

No hijacks! Go back to the AR Discussions page and hit "new topic" towards the top at the right. We will be happy to help you on your own thread.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Normal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why good luck? I don't buy yet. I am looking for Ar-15 type gun.

He wasn't talking to you. He was wishing the OP good luck with his new gun. Start a new topic of your own if you have a question & don't hijack the OP's thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#21]
OP: The faster you shoot the hotter the barrel will become & if there's oil on the barrel it will smoke. The discoloration is also normal as the previous posters have stated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I love the smell of barrel smoke in the morning. Actually it looks pretty cool too.

It is normal, reapply oil before storing your rifle. I have started storing mine bore down
so the oil/bore cleaner doesn't run down into the action/bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top