Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 6:45:47 AM EDT
im a lefty, so i need some ambi stuff.  where can i buy....

Ambi Selector switch?
Ambi Magazine release?
Ambi Bolt release?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
for the magazine release get a Norgon.  for the bolt release I just use my BAD lever.  I can still manipulate it fairly easily with my left hand.  if you really want your lower to be ambidextrous you need to get on of KAC's ambi lowers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Ambi Selector switch?

BAD-ASS AMBI

Ambi Magazine release?

NORGON
OR
TROY

Ambi Bolt release?

Don’t need it… your trigger finger will reach it as a lefty.

And don't forget an ambi charging handle...

TROY
OR
BADGER ORD
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive been looking for an ambi 45 degree safety, but Im not paying 85 bucks for the badass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm also a lefty. Basically the only thing I wish was ambidextrous is the safety. Everything else is pretty easy to get to. DPMS makes an ambidextrous safety that isn't too expensive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ambidextrousized my AR. Bought a Norgon, BADASS, and BAD. Couldn't be happier with any of the three. All work great. And the BADASS is THE smoothest safety I've ever used.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I primarily run a KAC ambi lower but on my standard lowers, I've added LMT selectors and KAC, mag release..I can operate the blot catch fairly easily so, a BAD lever was never really a consideration for me..
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
As a lefty (trained by Uncle Sam on non-ambidextrous rifles), I was reluctant to
purchase ambi items for my carbine.

After a few years, I finally decided to try ambi stuff on my carbine.

The first item I bought was the NORGON Ambi-Catch:

(photo courtesy of Brownell's)

I felt the NORGON is the first item because if your rifle is a working/fighting
rifle,  you need to be able to do mag changes quickly. This means NOT using the thumb
of your non-dominant hand (the hand that should be holding the fresh magazine) to
punch the mag relase button.

The second (and only other) ambi item I purchased was the ARMADYNAMICS ALCM ambidextous charging handle:

(photo courtesy of Mount's Plus)

As for safety selector and bolt catch, I opted to leave mine stock. Nothing is safer than having your trigger finger manipulate
the safety and bolt catch; ie, If your trigger finger is manipulating those items, it won't be manipulating the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally I plan on getting one of those kac ambi lowers for a sbr project at some point. Really like its setup.

Anyway I've worked with the norgon and kac ambi mag releases. Haven't had a chance to try the troy let. Between the two I personally prefer the kac one and it is cheaper as well(which is weird as kac is usually not on the cheaper end of anything). My ar's all just have standard lmt ambi safety's on them right now although those bad ones look interesting.

I tried the bad lever as others said it worked well for lefties and just didn't see it. I just hit the standard bolt release.

Chargining handles I use the gunfighter because I can use them on the ar-10 and ar-15.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As a lefty (trained by Uncle Sam on non-ambidextrous rifles), I was reluctant to
purchase ambi items for my carbine.

After a few years, I finally decided to try ambi stuff on my carbine.

The first item I bought was the NORGON Ambi-Catch:

(photo courtesy of Brownell's)
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_635001015_1.jpg

I felt the NORGON is the first item because if your rifle is a working/fighting
rifle,  you need to be able to do mag changes quickly. This means NOT using the thumb
of your non-dominant hand (the hand that should be holding the fresh magazine) to
punch the mag relase button.

The second (and only other) ambi item I purchased was the ARMADYNAMICS ALCM ambidextous charging handle:

(photo courtesy of Mount's Plus)
http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/ARMADYNAMICS_AR-15_Charging_Handle.jpg

As for safety selector and bolt catch, I opted to leave mine stock. Nothing is safer than having your trigger finger manipulate
the safety and bolt catch; ie, If your trigger finger is manipulating those items, it won't be manipulating the trigger.

I would stay away from this item it damaged my upper i will post a link to my damaged upper from this product. The owner of the compant refunded my money and sent me a new stripped upper, but that doesnt change the fact that it did happen as well other forum members had the problems. I am checking into the Badger Ord. ambi charging handle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=201068
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the BADASS.  I love mine.  Ive tried a few other ambi safety's and they weernt even in the same league as the BADASS.  Most of them were sloppy, didnt fit well, or had fitment issues.  My BADASS is clean, crisp, and gives me multiple options.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
wow!!  thanks for the great replies!  and yes i forgot about the charging handle.  not sure if ill get one of those yet or not.  but the BADASS, i was looking one of those for a while.  if you got more ideas, please send them my way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If I could build a nice ambi rifle, I'd go with a POF lower (has an ambi bolt release built in) with a Norgon ambi-catch
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I could build a nice ambi rifle, I'd go with a POF lower (has an ambi bolt release built in) with a Norgon ambi-catch

Or for a whole lot cheaper without sacrificing any quality at all, you could go with a Mega lower (with built in ambi bolt release) and a KAC ambi catch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wow!!  thanks for the great replies!  and yes i forgot about the charging handle.  not sure if ill get one of those yet or not.  but the BADASS, i was looking one of those for a while.  if you got more ideas, please send them my way.

Ive never needed an ambi mag release or bolt assist device.  I could always manipulate the controls on those in their regular config just as easily if not more easy.  Safety and CH were a must though.  Ive got the BADASS and badger LH CH.  Love them both and will use them now on all my builds.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I would normally recommend the Norgon ambi mag release, but I like the KAC version much better.  The Norgon is more streamlined though.  For a ambi charging handle, I say Badger Ordnance.  I can manipulate the bolt release just fine with my trigger finger.  For the selector, I say BAD-ASS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
the only ambi thing i have on my personal AR, is an ambi selector.  

i choose not to do more because my work rifle has no ambi items on it.  and i can not change that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ive been looking for an ambi 45 degree safety, but Im not paying 85 bucks for the badass.

This.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety
Magoul BAD Lever Ambi Bolt Release

Very happy with both of these, even though I'm not south paw.  If I was, I would ideally buy a true ambi lower like the KAC/Mega.

If I could pay $85 for a 45 degree safety I would, but they are impossible to get right now with the super high demand.  I would say BAD has no reason to lower the price.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]
ok, looks like i got a lot of research (and some money spending) ahead of me.  thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Just as an addendum to my previous post:

After looking thru the posts here (and the comment about the Armadynamics issues), I went
over to the Badger Ordnance website and saw that they recently released a 'Left Hand Tactical Charging Handle.'

I went ahead and bought one from Brownell's. After installing it (and doing some malfunction clearing drills
with my rifle), I must say, I like it much more than the Armadynamics one (and it was $20 cheaper).

Badger Ordnance Left-Hand Charging Handle @ Brownell's

(Photo Courtesy of Brownell's)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top