Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2011 2:41:32 PM EDT
The gun shop by my house has a killer deal on an M&P Sport, and opinions on these?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a S&W M&P AR and all I can say is it's a great gun!

I have also been reading a bunch about AR's in general and the S&W is a fantastic buy for the money!

You will be happy with it. I bought mine for $699
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed it has no forward-assist, or dust-cover, is that a big drawback?
$619.00 is a pretty good price me thinks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I noticed it has no forward-assist, or dust-cover, is that a big drawback?
$619.00 is a pretty good price me thinks.

Not really depends what you want to do with it. My m&p has a forward assist and dust cover which are standard features on ar15s strange this one does not have it

As for the m&p rifle it is a top quality product buy with confidence. If you want the m&p look for one with all the standard features
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure why they did it either, maybe to cut costs I guess somehow omitting those items cut like $200 off the price.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
FA and the dustcover are not essentials.....buy it and shoot the piss out of it!
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
And so it shall be done!!!
I think a new member of the family is coming home tomorrow!
Quite excited, this will be my first AR, I am already shopping for furniture, accessories, and up-grades.
1:8 twist, is that worse than a 1:9?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
They are no longer chrome lining the barrels either!
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh crap, this is news to me that S&W is following the DPMS Sportical type marketing.

I am disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh crap, this is news to me that S&W is following the DPMS Sportical type marketing.

I am disappointed.

Why? Its not like they stopped selling all the other models

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
attn. all, the S&W M&P Sport is code word for crap. just like the .22lr thing these things are just another way to get your money and not give you much product in return.

i had a chance to *check* them out a few weeks ago... JUNK. i've quit selling S&W AR's in my shop altogether . after they switched their base models back to 4140, SA BCG's and a few other things but didn't lower the price i was over them. this is just another scam by a large gun company.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am disappointed.

Why? Its not like they stopped selling all the other models

Because it tarnishes the reputation of the whole M&P-15 line,

just like the Eotech 511 is responsible for running down Eotech's reputation.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Having checked this out they still chrome the 1/9 barrels but, you are right about the 1/8!

I would skip the Sport version. They seem to have skimped on to many things that they did not on my OR version.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Decided not to get one, not sure what I am gonna do next, maybe spend the extra $200+ later for a better AR or buy an AK-varient, or a new pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having checked this out they still chrome the 1/9 barrels but, you are right about the 1/8!

I would skip the Sport version. They seem to have skimped on to many things that they did not on my OR version.

Theyre giving options, you can choose accuracy over chrome lining, which whether we need it is really kind of dubious. I can tell you the 5R rifling cleans just about as easily. So I guess if you are going to run a DIAS and live in the jungle you have a choice, if you want bragging rights on paper, you got a choice.

I choose chrome myself, only because Im wouldnt be as comfortable leaving the unchromed dirty and unoiled as long as I tend to do. I know its not going to make the throat survive erosion forever.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Theyre giving options, you can choose accuracy over chrome lining, which whether we need it is really kind of dubious. I can tell you the 5R rifling cleans just about as easily. So I guess if you are going to run a DIAS and live in the jungle you have a choice, if you want bragging rights on paper, you got a choice.

I choose chrome myself, only because Im wouldnt be as comfortable leaving the unchromed dirty and unoiled as long as I tend to do. I know its not going to make the throat survive erosion forever.

I chose 5R and chrome-lining... Denny's Operator barrel, but that's more than 1/2 the cost of this whole rifle

OP, you should check out Spike's offerings and keep an eye on the deals thread tacked up top. I just built a complete spike's 14.5" middy with all MOE gear for $740.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Check out Spikes...better gun in terms of materials and components used and not priced all that much higher.  

I did get to shoot my friend's M&P 15T yesterday, and it is a nice rifle.  Just not sure why they couldn't go with better quality parts (FA BCG and 4150 bbl steel) for the $1400 price tag.  He did get the Troy sights though, so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never much cared for the M&P line from S&W, doesn't matter if it's a semi auto sidearm or a rifle. I have been reading about this topic on different forums. It seems S&W wants to compete in the bottom basement AR's so they are cutting as many items as they can from the features list. Bottom line they would rather sell 1000 AR's at $500 than 500 rifles at $1,000.  This isn't something that I would recommend either. There are to many top quality manufacturers out there making quality rifles at a very fare price. Spikes is at the top of that list.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe it doesnt have the forward assist or dust cover because it can be used for hunting depending on your states laws.

But I'd go for the OR MP-15 but Im bias because that is one a i own.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Decided not to get one, not sure what I am gonna do next, maybe spend the extra $200+ later for a better AR or buy an AK-varient, or a new pistol.

The AR or AK is a tough choice I have both and like them almost equally as well. The AK has edged my AR is reliability since it has zero malfunctions vs 2 double feeds. But the AR is a much more refined weapon and much more pleasant to try to reload quickly and what not.

If you get an AK get a 74.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]
get the m&p15A if you want a carbine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top