Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2011 10:17:04 AM EDT
I have a 16 inch Oly H-bar that i would love to take some weight off of. I have looked at ADCO, but my family owns a full machine shop, and i was wondering if there was anyting keeping me from doing this my self? Has anyone here done it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Who needs a machine shop if you have a dremel. Dremel flutes look great...

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are proficient with a lathe go for it.

You would want to have the measuring tools, etc, to make the barrel profile concentric to the bore, but that isnt a necessity for re-profiling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you are proficient with a lathe go for it.

You would want to have the measuring tools, etc, to make the barrel profile concentric to the bore, but that isnt a necessity for re-profiling.

And that is all you need to know.

If you make a mistake, order a new barrel and try again!

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have re-profiled many Ak barrels but never an AR Id say just stay away from the landings on the gass block and site... and make sure you dont get any less than the smallest measurement of your barrel now.. Unless its a varmet barrel..Just remember the more you take off the more the barrel will flex and moreso if you have a strap on it and use it to stableize your shot..... or even a front bipod so do your homework.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
A profiler is best, but a good lathe will work, just stay behind the gas block.  That way, if your first try doesn't look fantastic,(machine marks, etc.), at least the handguard will cover it up.
Turn around 600-800rmp, heavy on the feed-most likely give you the best finish. A little sanding may be in order. High-speed steel will work, but carbide is better.  Go for it. barrels are relativly cheap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
And stay in front of the chamber.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top