BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:30:09 PM EDT

Well,  my interest was piqued in these rifles by another thread

Del Ton discussion

In it, i vowed i would grab one of these rifle kits at the bargain basement price my retailer was selling them for  ($529 carbine,  $549 for the Middy –– 1/7 twist available as an option ) ––-  and give it a whirl ––- the retailer is in my hometown, so i paid them a visit, and while out of the carbines,  i set myself up with a mid length.    Comes with a Spikes lower, but they were out and i will wait a few days for it ––-  but i pinned it to the top of another Del-Ton lower i had ,  dressed it with Magpul furniture and a carrying handle  and am now waiting for a decent day to hit the range.  ––- pics are not the best since it is in my office,  but in the spirit of  "pics or it didnt happen"  –––– i figured i better post up ––-  1st pic is with carry handle obviously,  2nd pic is with a no name scope riser and a Leupold 4-12x scope i am going to use to accuracy test it next time i am at the range ––––- but i have not decided on an optic yet –– if it shoots nice enough, the Leupy may stay, albeit with a more attractive mounting system.

fit and finish, while not an indicator of how a rifle necessarilly performs , are great on the Del Ton stuff ––- the barrel  is a heavy profile all the way, with M4 feed ramp cuts,  but like a lot of civilian rifles, it is 1/9 twist and barrel is not chrome lined  (again ––  chrome lined barrel is an option too for a little bit more cash) ––––   buttstock is civilian diameter.   (and to be clear,  it  just came with an M4 style stock and A2 handguards and pistol grip –– i forked out the extra for MP stuff over and above,  but heck ,  a pretty nice rifle for around  $750 total ready to go ––not incl Leupold)
      I'll ask what the LPK is when i pick up the Spike's receiver,  but given i had a lower ready to go,  this will go in my spare parts stash –––– The  Spikes lower may be the inspiration for another little project later

Anyway   - not looking to make a SWAT team entry rifle on the cheap or anything,  but this feels like an awesome pumpkin  and paper blaster   The mid length setup feels so nice, i wonder why i never tried one sooner.   Will add an accuracy report  to this threas as soon as i can  ––- i will be using handloads with 55 gr match hollow points ––- I'll also throw a few rounds downrange with XM 193 and SS109 type ammo as a contrast to the nicer stuff as well

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been very pleased with my Del-Ton middy.  I did a similar budget build, and went with an A2 stock.  With the HBAR, the rifle is actually pretty well balanced, and the rifle buffer seems to be good and making the recoil impulse very smooth.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Im waiting on a kit myself. I look forward to your results
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool deal.  I think I got my kit from the same guy in Edmond.  I got the M4 carbine with 1-7" and chrome lined brl.  I have made this a semi-budget carbine and love it thus far––about 700 rds through her now.  I am very pleased with the Delton thus far.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sumoj –– hope your getting ready for the incoming nasty weather ––-       This mess is keeping me from the range while the rifle just leans there begging to be fired

Those fellas (folks from the shop i got the build kit from)  are having a full auto shoot Friday evening  at Heartland range in Edmond ––- might be a cool spectator event
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Streetstar, I am ready as I have the snuff, beer, food, and necessities covered!  I would love to attend the shoot but I will be setting up a little league tournament for sat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Streetstar, I am ready as I have the snuff, beer, food, and necessities covered!  I would love to attend the shoot but I will be setting up a little league tournament for sat.

Outstanding!     I Just returned from Sam's club with 2 cases of beer and about 10 pounds of assorted flank steak and tri tip myself ,  plus a few John Wayne movies i hadnt seen.    Cashier said it looked like i was gearing up for a celebration rather than a blizzard.

Sorry for venturing OT mods .    
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Just passing through.....Nice rifle.    I like my ArmaLite Mid-Length it serves me quite well.....you should be happy with it....I have heard good things from those who own them.
and by the way...

Quoted:
    This mess is keeping me from the range while the rifle just leans there begging to be fired

I live north of you....try 2 above and -30 wind chill with a 35 mph wind....or so...and has been this way since X-mas...so no sympathy here....

SASS
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats a nice looking build.  Brave the cold and let us know how she handles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good to me!! Have fun with her...........Sully
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top