Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kmcale:

A little while back, I think I recall someone looking into/talking about custom cutting his foam on the CRA pages. I have since stopped checking in on there, so idk if it was ever done up.
View Quote

Thanks for the lead, will def see what I can find.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]

unfortunately, i end up paying others in this line of work.. im a backwards whore
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

"Whore" implies you're getting paid to do this. How do I get this job?

unfortunately, i end up paying others in this line of work.. im a backwards whore

So wouldn't that make you a John?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Firejareen:
I have been dealing with Hani at MyCaseBuilder.  She has been helpful in getting the correct foam weight, 2.2# PE foam, and the measurements so everything fits and it is to spec.  I changed the password and made it very simple if you would like to use the design we have got.  Go to MyCaseBuilder and log in as me; FIREJAREEN, [email protected] and the password is; MK12.  They have a safety net order system called failsafe, so if there is a problem they will redo it for free.  When you pick the designs, pick the LID FOAM and the FAILSAFE design, the one marked MK12 is slightly off and wont fit correctly.  You will need to call and talk to Hani so she can get everything shipped together, you won't be able to just submit an order otherwise I will start to get a lot of foam.  Any questions let me know.  And this is for the Pelican 1700 only, no other case will work.
View Quote

Quoting this for others since interest in cases and foam has been shown lately.  Am gonna try this route and see how it goes as it apparently went well for some in the past.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By teamjawbox:

Quoting this for others since interest in cases and foam has been shown lately.  Am gonna try this route and see how it goes as it apparently went well for some in the past.
View Quote

I remember trying this a little while back and I didn’t really get anywhere with them on that. There’s also this site

https://www.cobrafoaminserts.com/products/mk12-spr-rifle-foam-insert-for-pelican-case-1700-polyethylene

It seems to be correct in the layout/design, but it’d be good to know of someone’s first hand experience with them before dropping some coin on it.

Either way personally I’d rather hold out for one of the real deals.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:03:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#5]
Originally Posted By ringer706:

I remember trying this a little while back and I didn’t really get anywhere with them on that. There’s also this site

https://www.cobrafoaminserts.com/products/mk12-spr-rifle-foam-insert-for-pelican-case-1700-polyethylene

It seems to be correct in the layout/design, but it’d be good to know of someone’s first hand experience with them before dropping some coin on it.

View Quote

Cobra is a no go, iirc
Big time no no if its the one I'm thinking of

Not to mention top foam is oddball compared to issued
Attachment Attached File

Ignore my miscolored Otis
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Out of curiosity any particular reason why you didn't get anywhere with it?  They shut down or something?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Cobra is a no go, iirc

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/488238/20200810_145459_jpg-1789199.JPG
View All Quotes

Cobra is a no go, iirc

The pics I've seen and feedback I've read of the cobra reflect exactly what you said.  The foam is totally different than the issued.  

Since I already have the case I'm gonna try and track down just the foam, unless I come upon a great deal on an issued one.

The oddball otis looks great to me haha!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I grabbed a Mod 1 case off the EE last month I paid out the nose for it but I figured I may as well get it while I can.  I miss the days they never failed to be on the bay at a bill and a half.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:
I grabbed a Mod 1 case off the EE last month I paid out the nose for it but I figured I may as well get it while I can.  I miss the days they never failed to be on the bay at a bill and a half.
View Quote

Yeah, I ended up getting mine 2 years ago or so for bill and a half
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

How much do they go for now?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Yeah, I ended up getting mine 2 years ago or so for bill and a half
View Quote

I still kick myself in the ass for not getting a couple from the last eBay seller.

managed to score one on trade from a guy here though only wound up costing me about $80

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:

I still kick myself in the ass for not getting a couple from the last eBay seller.

managed to score one on trade from a guy here though only wound up costing me about $80

https://i.imgur.com/lRVuEsk.jpg
View Quote

Damn, your foam is perfecto
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gremyashchy1911] [#13]
Over three bills  not proud to say that and not sure its the real "going rate"  only one I've seen in a wile but I also haven't been looking.
I kick my self for making excuses as to not buy one when they didn't cost arm and a leg but I didn't.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Nice to see how a NF glass fits in the foam   I was worried the big scopes wouldn't fit in the cutouts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

What kind of magazine ya got there?  That an old Simmonds?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

What kind of magazine ya got there?  That an old Simmonds?
View Quote

Old colt floorplate. Found it in the spare bathroom sink cabinet of my grandparents house covered in dried tile grout. No tile anywhere in their house and grandpa owns all of 2 old fudd bolt guns. He has no idea where it came from.

I told him there's obviously a MG stashed somewhere in the house and I'm gonna tear it down board by board one day to find it
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Old colt floorplate. Found it in the spare bathroom sink cabinet of my grandparents house covered in dried tile grout. No tile anywhere in their house and grandpa owns all of 2 old fudd bolt guns. He has no idea where it came from.

I told him there's obviously a MG stashed somewhere in the house and I'm gonna tear it down board by board one day to find it
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I've noticed some cutouts have the lower facing left and some facing right.  Was that a variation between mod 0 and 1?  Is one direction more correct for a mod 0?

Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I've noticed some cutouts have the lower facing left and some facing right.  Was that a variation between mod 0 and 1?  Is one direction more correct for a mod 0?

Thanks for the pics!
View Quote

Stock toward the middle is Mod 1
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the pics!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#21]
Gen III Mod 0 too as it's a shared layout.

Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
Not lost. Just wondering my friend. Glad to see you still in here!

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#22]
So if the s really does hit the f, are any of you grabbing the mk12? Or you going for the short boi? I kind of like dragging my H around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Out of curiosity any particular reason why you didn't get anywhere with it?  They shut down or something?
View Quote

I figured it out. I didn't see the update to the login information and I was still trying to use the FIREJAREEN login. I just tried now and it seems to work. At the time I didn't really pursue it too hard either since it'd basically cost $400. I've been scrounging to get as many clone and period correct parts for my build, so I'd rather just wait around for a real one. Not like anyone's going to ban plastic rifle cases, right?

...Right?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Cobra is a no go, iirc

View Quote

Good to know! I thought I remembered reading some grumblings about them but I couldn't remember off hand. Also, no judgement, I also have a tan NSN marked cleaning kit. Really the only other unobtanium is an original bore guide. I know a few originals are floating around that got left in cases, but I've never seen one come up for sale.

...in other news, I got to have a conjugal visit with my AEM5 (and Harvester338) before it goes back in my SOT's safe for the next few months. ATF processed payment 24 hours after delivery on the F4 though so hopefully that's promising! Now I just need LaRue to fulfill my 112633 on order so I can start working up my faux-mk262 load.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Good to know! I thought I remembered reading some grumblings about them but I couldn't remember off hand. Also, no judgement, I also have a tan NSN marked cleaning kit. Really the only other unobtanium is an original bore guide. I know a few originals are floating around that got left in cases, but I've never seen one come up for sale.

...in other news, I got to have a conjugal visit with my AEM5 (and Harvester338) before it goes back in my SOT's safe for the next few months. ATF processed payment 24 hours after delivery on the F4 though so hopefully that's promising! Now I just need LaRue to fulfill my 112633 on order so I can start working up my faux-mk262 load.

https://i.imgur.com/PleeAgN.jpg
View Quote

That looks great!  My future AEM5 is on backorder with DSG.  I know some other places have had stock recently but DSG is local to me so I like using them.  They are a major dealer for Allen Eng so hoping they get a restock soon and my backorder can be fulfilled.  Then I'll get to start my jail time.  So I'm basically still waiting for the court to set a trial date as it were.  Congrats on the visit!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:21:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#26]

That looks great!  My future AEM5 is on backorder with DSG.  I know some other places have had stock recently but DSG is local to me so I like using them.  They are a major dealer for Allen Eng so hoping they get a restock soon and my backorder can be fulfilled.  Then I'll get to start my jail time.  So I'm basically still waiting for the court to set a trial date as it were.  Congrats on the visit!
View Quote

Oh well you're just around the corner from me then. Is your build completed? If you decide to go with someone besides DSG, Capitol Armory is supposed to be getting a large order in the next couple weeks I believe. At least that's what the sales rep told me in late December.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Oh well you're just around the corner from me then. Is your build completed? If you decide to go with someone besides DSG, Capitol Armory is supposed to be getting a large order in the next couple weeks I believe. At least that's what the sales rep told me in late December.
View All Quotes

Nice to meet another local.  Still swapping out parts as I find more correct pieces.  Some folks on this forum like Hunterex have been a huge help.  I've got a GM Hydramatic repro lower coming from Russian Paint soon but have it on a Brownells A1 until then.  Here's a pic as it currently sits.  The quest is neverending but I'm much closer today than I was in October!  

Thanks for the heads up on Capitol Armory.  I'm gonna reach out to DSG and see when they think they'll see another batch.  Will at least give me more info to keep my eyes peeled and make a decision.  Thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]

https://i.imgur.com/PleeAgN.jpg
View Quote

I was looking at ordering one of the 112633 as the optic is the last thing I need for my mod 1. I have slowly built my mod 1 into a correct version (other than barrel which is WOA) with a lot of attention to detail and would like the optic to fit the level of my build. I have read a ton of stuff about the optics and it still seems mixed on whether these are correct. Are these larue special run 112633 kosher or is it worth it to try for one of the NF that occasionally comes into stock? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#29]
Originally Posted By ResponsibleSecond:

I was looking at ordering one of the 112633 as the optic is the last thing I need for my mod 1. I have slowly built my mod 1 into a correct version (other than barrel which is WOA) with a lot of attention to detail and would like the optic to fit the level of my build. I have read a ton of stuff about the optics and it still seems mixed on whether these are correct. Are these larue special run 112633 kosher or is it worth it to try for one of the NF that occasionally comes into stock? Thanks!
View Quote

You're going to have an argument and some controversy as to whether the 112633 is correct based on the markings and the slabside illum housing. I think it's been seen on 1 pic in the wild, but I believe these were contracted for the USMC M38 sdmr.

Here's an old response by lancecriminal:

"I no longer consider the 112633 correct for a Mk12.

112633 did not exist during the production or primary usage by the Navy, Army, or even Marines.

The later illumination housing with the funky slab sides, same thing. Only time that is seen is much more recently if old scopes were sent in for repair. I only know of exactly 1 case of that and said scope will probably head back to Crane in the impending SPR/Holland turn ins.

112633 is only clone correct for an M38 DMRized M27 IAR.

Most of the original SPR and Mk12 optics had 62gr M855 turrets. Later some 77gr turrets mah have been custom ordered from custom shop. Eventually the 262 turrets on the M2 equipped scopes did show up, maybe around when the TMR showed up in 05 or 06.

Vari-X III = 62gr M3 turrets
TS-30 = 62gr M3 turrets
TS-30A2 3-9 M3 = 62gr M3 turrets, maybe some custom or unit, or even testing 77gr turrets at some point.

TS-30A2 2.5-8 M2 = Mk12 Mod 1 marked 77gr M2 turrets

Somewhere in there too is when SOCOM stopped acquiring Mk12s and the Marines did, around 2009 or 2010 apparently. Marine Mod 1s seem to heavily show non labeled 3-9 or 2.5-8 MR/Ts."

With that being said a truly correct Nightforce will equally be as difficult, unless you find an army or nav spec marked Nightforce, as correct contracted Nightforce 2.5-10x24 had mildot reticles and low speed MOA turrets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Posting here instead of the deals.

DVOR is having a PRI sale if anyone needs something. Cheaper than PRI's price.

https://www.dvor.com/precision-reflex-firearm-parts-36-2021-01-22.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:

You're going to have an argument and some controversy as to whether the 112633 is correct based on the markings and the slabside illum housing. I think it's been seen on 1 pic in the wild, but I believe these were contracted for the USMC M38 sdmr.

With that being said a truly correct Nightforce will equally be as difficult, unless you find an army or nav spec marked Nightforce, as correct contracted Nightforce 2.5-10x24 had mildot reticles and low speed MOA turrets.
View Quote

Thank you. I remember reading that post but then see a lot of people getting the 112633 anyway. So basically its not "clone correct" but is one of the few options that is really close due to the actual scopes being nearly unobtainium. I may end up going that route myself since the NF option that comes in stock at EO on occasion is in the same boat of not correct but close. I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#32]
Got something neat in the mail today, x24 without turret caps. The H with a smaller scope is much more comfortable to lug around, excited to get these out and sight in. ARMS 22m for temporary mount until I get hands on some A101's
Attachment Attached File

Mk4 will be sidelined for the Gen III
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Mod 1 gas blocks are in stock at two places. They are the DD one not Badger so not 100% clone correct I do think.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Mod 1 gas blocks are in stock at two places. They are the DD one not Badger so not 100% clone correct I do think.
View Quote

I found that DD fits better. That's just my opinion though ..
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I recall people having to hand fit the Badger ones back in the thread I have yet to have either so I don’t know one way from the other.  Planning to order a barrel next week so it’s coming together.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Where are they in stock?????
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

View All Quotes

Optics Planet and Primary Arms. Had them as of a hour ago
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Got something neat in the mail today, x24 without turret caps. The H with a smaller scope is much more comfortable to lug around, excited to get these out and sight in. ARMS 22m for temporary mount until I get hands on some A101's
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/488238/20210122_145934_jpg-1791807.JPG
Mk4 will be sidelined for the Gen III
View Quote

Makes me want to trade in my leupold for a NF. I’m not sure about the TMR reticle anymore...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Where are they in stock???
??

DD gas blocks?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tamboi:

DD gas blocks?
View All Quotes

??

DD gas blocks?

Yep.

Bought one about a month ago from OP. On DD's website they call them the "commercial" gas block to differentiate the newer pinned gas blocks. The "commercial" gb uses setscrews like God intended.

OP was about $10 cheaper, and in stock, vs DD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#41]

DD gas blocks?
View All Quotes

??

DD gas blocks?

I ordered this PN:DDD-RGB-CMK12GB-25-081-00029
It shows shipped as of now so I’d say they actually have stock of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I used a DD block and it was a very snug fit on the HCS barrel I picked up. I had to heat it up to get it to fit down the gas journal and it’s tight enough now that it probably doesn’t even need the set screws.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#43]
What is the preferred method of timing a AEMB muzzle break mount on a USGI take off 9 04 Mk12 barrel?

The small instructions sheet that was packed with a recent Capitol Armory muzzle break refers to using loctite. The Capitol Armory package came with a large shim/spacer and multiple smaller shims, no crush washer. Previous posts reference the Government as using crush washers. I never gave it a lot of thought until seeing the horror photos of the seized muzzle break that needed a Dremel to remove it off the barrel. If it is timed with a starting point of around 10 o'clock does it matter whether I use shims only with loctite or crush washer and shim(s) to time it?

Shims alone...crush washer...combination of shims and a crush washer, loctite or rockset or just oil on the threads? Just wondering which camp I should belong to? I just don't want to mess up my take off Mk12 barrel and wouldn't want the break spinning off the barrel while staying inside the AEM5.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TW56:
What is the preferred method of timing a AEMB muzzle break mount on a USGI take off 9 04 Mk12 barrel?

The small instructions sheet that was packed with a recent Capitol Armory muzzle break refers to using loctite. The Capitol Armory package came with a large shim/spacer and multiple smaller shims, no crush washer. Previous posts reference the Government as using crush washers. I never gave it a lot of thought until seeing the horror photos of the seized muzzle break that needed a Dremel to remove it off the barrel. If it is timed with a starting point of around 10 o'clock does it matter whether I use shims only with loctite or crush washer and shim(s) to time it?

Shims alone...crush washer...combination of shims and a crush washer, loctite or rockset or just oil on the threads? Just wondering which camp I should belong to? I just don't want to mess up my take off Mk12 barrel and wouldn't want the break spinning off the barrel while staying inside the AEM5.

https://i.imgur.com/ZL1fHNxl.png
https://i.imgur.com/4T86P3Fl.png
https://i.imgur.com/Q7aIAtKl.png
View Quote

I’ve used both methods. Never had a problem with either. My current setups used a drop of rockset with the large spacer and shims to time it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#45]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Makes me want to trade in my leupold for a NF. I’m not sure about the TMR reticle anymore...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

I'm a hoarder for parts, so I wouldn't trade out, but yes.. the NF was worth the investment I think.

Originally Posted By TW56:

https://i.imgur.com/ZL1fHNxl.png
https://i.imgur.com/4T86P3Fl.png
https://i.imgur.com/Q7aIAtKl.png

For the brakes I've put on, I've only ever used crush washers and shims and some aeroshell
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#46]
Just a heads up for anyone looking for an AEM5 suppressor, there are 2 listed on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=AEM5

I am NOT in any way affiliated with the seller, just noticed it during my usual sweep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Just a heads up for anyone looking for an AEM5 suppressor, there are 2 listed on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=AEM5

I am NOT in any way affiliated with the seller, just noticed it during my usual sweep.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  No BIN option, so could get nuts depending how bad folks want one, but I may throw my hat in on it if DSG doesn't get back to me shortly and price stays reasonable.  Otherwise I'll hold my backorder, LOL.  Thanks for the lead.

On a side note, regarding the Pelican 1700 foam, has anyone cut their own?  I've seen folks that have bought milsurp or special ordered foam precut, but has anyone tried to cut their own?  If so, would you mind posting some pics or if I overlooked them in this thread post a page #?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Thanks for the heads up.  No BIN option, so could get nuts depending how bad folks want one, but I may throw my hat in on it if DSG doesn't get back to me shortly and price stays reasonable.  Otherwise I'll hold my backorder, LOL.  Thanks for the lead.

On a side note, regarding the Pelican 1700 foam, has anyone cut their own?  I've seen folks that have bought milsurp or special ordered foam precut, but has anyone tried to cut their own?  If so, would you mind posting some pics or if I overlooked them in this thread post a page #?

Thanks!!
View Quote

I'm not sure how deep you are going into the 12 hole, however, I'd, and believeeee me I know this is hard, but I'd hold out for a surplus 12 case to pop up.  They've been doing so here and there for a year now.  If you find yourself 100% dedicated to doing your own at some point, I'm happy to give you exact dimensions off my issued one. In the meantime, yay case!

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

I'm not sure how deep you are going into the 12 hole, however, I'd, and believeeee me I know this is hard, but I'd hold out for a surplus 12 case to pop up.  They've been doing so here and there for a year now.  If you find yourself 100% dedicated to doing your own at some point, I'm happy to give you exact dimensions off my issued one. In the meantime, yay case!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50871001281_5a277c8594_h.jpg
View Quote

Is that a stand-in guide, or is that THE one? I'm unfamiliar with them so I have no idea, I just know that's the right color
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Is that a stand-in guide, or is that THE one? I'm unfamiliar with them so I have no idea, I just know that's the right color
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DStepec:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50871001281_5a277c8594_h.jpg

I’m gonna second that. We’re gonna need some more info on that bore guide.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top