Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2010 3:32:26 AM EDT
I've been using the Wolff XP extractor springs in my carbine and rifle. Should I switch to the gold colored extractor springs?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been using the Wolff XP extractor springs in my carbine and rifle. Should I switch to the gold colored extractor springs?

Are you having issues with the installed spring?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
What's special about the gold Colt springs compared to standard and the Wolff XP?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If it ain't broke.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The Gold extractor spring is now the default/standard spring for use in the M4 and M16, so someone thought there was a genuine need to replace the standard spring for the M4 carbine. I'm just curious about the actual differences (if any) between the Colt Gold spring and a Wolff XP spring.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I would get a gold spring as a spare.  Then I would put it in my spare bolt and then do a comparison while function testing my spare bolt.  If you are satisfied then you know you want a gold spring next time you rebuild your bolt.  If you are not satisfied, throw it in the parts bin (it is just a spring) and get another Wolff for your spare bolt.  See where the brass lands with your go to ammo, then see where it lands with the same everything and the new spring.  There are so many variables.. The only way to tell is to do some testing with your carbine and your ammo.  My guess is it will be "six of one half dozen of the other" as they are both high quality springs....

I am sure everyone would appreciate seeing the results of your test including pictures.

My 2 cents.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, last time I had my M4 torn apart, it had the gold spring. Before that it had the stock one. I just figured those springs were on a maintainance schedule and the armoror changed them all out for that. Didn't know this was why.

Anyone have any info on the gold spring? That rifle is coming with me this spring so I'd love to know why they replaced something I knew worked with something else... I'm sorta depending on it working.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's special about the gold Colt springs compared to standard and the Wolff XP?

I've used the copper colored colt spring and the Wolff XP, both with good results.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top