Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2010 4:16:41 PM EDT
I understand one prefers heavier .556? Can somone explain which it is and why?
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavier bullets are harder to stabilize thus, they require more spin or they wll begin to tumble (kinda good when talking about terminal rate, but really bad for accuracy). When talking about twist the numbers denote,  # of spins/inches. So a 1/7 twist barrel will make a single full rotation every 7 inches. A 1/9 makes a full rotation every 9 inches.

So if you're looking to shoot loads over 55gr it would probably be wise to get a 1/7.

*A side note, some shooters say that having a 1/7 twist being used with a lighter load would have adverse reactions, but I have no experienced this nor theoretically can I accept this. But I'm sure someone can come in here and clear that one up for both of us.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Wrong forum and dupe - please read the FAQ linked to above.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top