Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 2:20:36 PM EDT
here is my story:

3 months ago knowing absolutely nothing about AR weapon systems (i have always owned AK and SKS rifles) i decided it was time to part with the coin and finally buy my first AR. the best AR's my local dealer (turner's outdoorsman) had on the rack were various models of S&W's M&P 15. after finding positive reviews for these AR's in magazines i read and online, i decided to go with the S&W M&P PSX (piston design). i subsequently went online and googled AR parts and came up with a number of online marketing sites that are more snakeoil salesmen than real firearms enthusiasts and wasted some coin on a worthless foregrip and flashlight. after another couple searches i found AR15.com and started reading.

i have to say, thanks to the moderators and contributors to this forum, i have learned so much about these carbines, i never realized there was so much to them , and so much you could do to them. needless to say, i quickly caught the bug and got addicted to modifying my AR to the fullest extent that i could. since then, i have spent all available money after expenses on this thing, ordering a new part or two for it every couple weeks after all the bills are paid. i lost track of how much i spent on it a long time ago. really i dont even want to know because its going to give me a heart attack. ha ha.

i hope i did my mentors proud. these AR masters are a very discerning bunch, and i know i have embarassed myself on numerous occassions asking stupid questions on this board. i can only hope that what i learned and what i built from that knowledge makes up for my clumsy ignorance over the last few months. i cant tell you all how much i appreciate all the advice and information i picked up off of AR15.com. i'd also like to thank bravocompanyusa.com because most of the parts came from them. i'll try to include where i got each component so maybe i can send them some business if someone likes what i have and wants to know where to get it. i got everything in black as a tribute to my first black rifle.

so here are the list of the parts i changed out from what came on it stock, from top down, back to front:

- S&W M&P 15 PSX                                             $1600 turnersoutdoorsman.com (-$100 rebate)
- Eotech OpMod EXPS2 2-0 HWS                       $500 opticsplanet.com (-$50 rebate)
- BCM (Troy Ind.) flip-up BUIS (AR style front)   $220 bravocompanyusa.com
- BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Large Latch $45 bravocompanyusa.com
- Magpul CTR Stock                                             $100 bravocompanyusa.com
- Magpul Enhanced Buttpad                                $20 bravocompanyusa.com
- H2 Buffer                                                          $30 bravocompanyusa.com
- Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attach        $30 bravocompanyusa.com
- Lonestar Single Point Bungee Sling                  $45 patriotoutfitters.com
- G-27 Command Arms Pistol Grip                      $30 bravocompanyusa.com
- Geisselle Super 3 Gun Trigger                         $230 bravocompanyusa.com
- Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard                      $20 bravocompanyusa.com
- Troy Ind. 9" Rail                                                 $0  came with PSX model
- Magpul XT Rail Covers (3)                                $35 bravocompanyusa.com
- Tango Down QD Foregrip                                 $90 bravocompanyusa.com
- Surefire G2 Flashlight                                       $45 bravocompanyusa.com
- Daniel Defense Offset Flashlight Mount           $50 bravocompanyusa.com
TOTAL                                                                $2940

of coure if i had built it from scratch i would have saved a lil more, but considering my total lack of knowledge about these carbines at the start, i think i did ok. i can always change out the upper when i shoot it out eventually.

i took my lil buddy out to the range last week and shot a 1 /12 inch group with no rounds deviating more than 1 inch off bullseye, with the HWS at 100yds using Lake City Penetrator from CTD. i could hardly even see the bullseye at that distance with no magnification. and man that trigger is smooth! it almost feels like the trigger on my favorite paintball gun. ha ha.

anyways, all said and done, here are the pics:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/bobbyhated/IMG_0413.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/bobbyhated/IMG_0411.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/bobbyhated/IMG_0408-1.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/bobbyhated/IMG_0410.jpg

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice shooting,looks real good dude.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks very good
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool looking rifle man!  I was gona ask about the dinkydo magazine but then I saw what state you are from.

What do you think about the Eotech Opmod?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah i'm lucky to even be able to buy this carbine in california. that was a big reason i decided to part with the coin for it right now, because the gun laws out here are getting worse and worse, and i think its only a matter of time till they pull the plug on all semi auto carbines. if i ever move out of state i can switch out the bullet button and get some proper 30 rd pmags.

i really like the OpMod. it has everything i wanted in one package. high profile, 2-0 reticle, NV compatible, side buttons, single battery, QD lever. the only thing its missing in my opinion is a cover with integral flip up lens covers.

with just the OpMod on there you see the group i shot at 100yds, i was easily hitting the steel targets at 150 200 and 250 too. i dont know how tight the groups were on that though, cause the steel targets at my range are i think 9" diameter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
< Warning Sent - F >
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The EXPS2-0 is not NV compatible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Why did you chose a piston AR for your first one?  

3k is steep, but I'm sure you learned a bit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]
theoretically the piston system is cooler, cleaner, more reliable, and takes less wear on the BCG.

of course theres tons of people who swear by the traditional gas system, most of whom have years of prior experience with them and perhaps an unyielding emotional attachment to them, but i have yet to see any methodologically sound, quantitative research demonstrating that gas systems are more reliable. and frankly i am not willing to take it on anyone's word alone that blowing dirty hot gas back into the chamber wont put more wear on the BCG and therefore cause more problems and wear than a system that does not blow hot dirty gas back into the chamber.

i'm an academic by trade (criminologist) and us pesky professors dont believe anything that hasnt been demonstrated through a methodologically controlled research design. if there is some kind of unbiased research demonstrating that gas systems are more reliable than piston systems, i'd be happy to consider it if anyone can come up with any. but all of my inquiries up to this point have not resulted in any real research demonstrating such.

this carbine did cost too much, but given the amount of knowledge i gained in the process it was well worth it. for what its worth my next carbine will be built from scratch with a gas system. not because i think they are superior, but more because i think i ought to have at least one of each type of carbine in my collection. and there's a strong possibility it will be a .308, so at least i can go pig hunting with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The EXPS2-0 is not NV compatible.

oops youre right about that. oh well. i wasnt intending to go out and buy a NV scope anyways. i am saving up for an ACOG though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet!!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it cold there? Your magazine seems to have shrinkage!

Good looking setup.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Imagine the SCAR you could have for $3k
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice stick!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#16]
That's a lot of coin, but nice gun!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice rifle, excellent job!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Now do a Retro or XM177E2 ??
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice

Glad you like it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#21]
nice rifle
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Ya' done good son!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top