Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 11:03:35 PM EDT
So, I decided to build my first AR, but I know absolutely nothing about them. I have been reading this site and browsing some vendor sites and have been gathering as much info as I can in a short period of time.

This build will be mostly for killing paper at the range, but you never know, I might try some tactical type courses in the future.

What size barrel do you guys recommend? I am leaning towards a 14.5, would that be the best compromise for accuracy while staying compact? How much more accuracy do you gain by going to a 16" barrel?

So, for this build, I'd like to get the basic rifle (without optics, FF handrail, low pro gas tube, bipod, ect) for around $800-$850.

I have so far came up with the following parts list to get started:

Core 15 Complete Upper - $425 http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=514214&page=1
Spikes Lower - $80 http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSL&groupid=214
Any LPK - `$55
Magpul ACS Stock - $130
Magpul MBUS Flip Up Rear Site - $60
MagPul AR-15 MIAD Grip - $40
Bullet Button - $20

Total = $810

I'd later slowly mod it with a FF handrail, low pro gas block, Magpul Flip up front site, virtical grip, optics, ect)

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
buffer tube?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
buffer tube?

Suggestion for a low price one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
buffer tube?

Might as well stay with AIM.  But IMHO with an $800-$850 price range and being your first AR, I would just go with a factory built from Spike's Tactical.  Lifetime warranty, 0 tools needed, a few little extras and very easy to "upgrade" later.

-Ray

ETA: A longer barrel length will give you higher muzzle (bullet) velocity not greater accuracy.  Not a major difference between 14.5" and 16".    

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
buffer tube?

Might as well stay with AIM.  But IMHO with an $800-$850 price range and being your first AR, I would just go with a factory built from Spike's Tactical.  Lifetime warranty, 0 tools needed, a few little extras and very easy to "upgrade" later.

-Ray

That is an option, but I figure with a custom build I get the exact parts I want and also, part of the fun is building it myself i would think :)
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Might need to order buffer retaining pin and spring, those are not always in lpk
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
for what you are wanting I to suggest going with the spikes tactical rifle.  Build for fun on your second rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
buffer tube?

But IMHO with an $800-$850 price range and being your first AR, I would just go with a factory built from Spike's Tactical.  Lifetime warranty, 0 tools needed, a few little extras and very easy to "upgrade" later.

-Ray

ETA: A longer barrel length will give you higher muzzle (bullet) velocity not greater accuracy.  Not a major difference between 14.5" and 16".    

This.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If your not a member ........

ask here too.

http://www.calguns.net
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

buffer tube?

Here is your ACS with buffer kit.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats....and welcome to the club!

Looks like you are well on your way and with the suggestions already given - on the right path....

Best of luck!

Thanks! I'm sure the mod bug will hit me and I will end up modding AR's as much as I mod cars

Quoted:
If your not a member ........

ask here too.

http://www.calguns.net

Thanks man, just joined there as well.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
buffer tube?

Here is your ACS with buffer kit.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the suggestions for the Spikes full rifle, but I think I'm going to stick to a custom build, even if it's not the "best" way to go right now.

Are any of the parts I have chosen a weak link? Something better for in the same price range?

I think the main thing I need help with is an upper choice. What is the best complete 14.5" upper in the $400-$500 range?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I appreciate the suggestions for the Spikes full rifle, but I think I'm going to stick to a custom build, even if it's not the "best" way to go right now.

Are any of the parts I have chosen a weak link? Something better for in the same price range?

I think the main thing I need help with is an upper choice. What is the best complete 14.5" upper in the $400-$500 range?

For your upper you could go with the DD offer from smartgunner for like $525 but you would still need a BCG and CH.  Damn good price for what you would be getting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I say go for it man!  Sounds a lot like my plan for my second black rifle.  A lot of guys will say to get a complete rifle and there is some merit to it but if you want to build it yourself I say go for it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This BCM comes out to $565 w/ BCG and CH.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm

Just throw in a set of MOE handguards, a MBUS rear sight and a Daniel Defense LPK when you order the ACS from DSG Arms, then add to lower of your choice and you should be GTG.  Price should come out to around $875 or so.  

You could also go with a CTR or MOE stock and save a few bucks that way.  You could even pick up the MOE kit from DSG which would bring your total to around $800.

Either way you can't go wrong dealing with these two companies.  Also don't forget DSG has a coupon code in their industry forum.

ETA:  Didn't add in the bullet button but still pretty much within your budget.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If you go with a 14.5" barrel the flash hider is probably going to be pinned and welded. That will be a problem if you decide to change out the hand guard to a free float system in the future.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you go with a 14.5" barrel the flash hider is probably going to be pinned and welded. That will be a problem if you decide to change out the hand guard to a free float system in the future.

Can you elaborate please?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate please?

To change out drop in handguards that utilize the D-ring you typically have to remove the FH and front sight which you can't do with a pinned FH unless you break the weld.  

However there are many railed handguards that are drop in or you could just buy a complete upper that is pinned with the handguards you want already installed.

In case its unclear for a 14.5" barrel you have permanately pin the FH in order for it to be legal lenght without being an SBR.  I'm sure someone will explain this one more in detail if I missed anything.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are buying the lower from Spike's you should get the spikes enhanced LPK. why start off with a sucky trigger.
Also I would go with a Troy Rear sight.
And try to find as many good parts in one place as possible, shipping $$ add up quick if you use different vendors, enough for some decent upgrades over time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#20]
dont you have to have a 16" barrel in Cali?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top