Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2010 8:53:56 AM EDT
I think I found someone who wants to trade me a 16" mid-length for my pinned 14.5" BCM. I love the BCM, but I just hate being limited by the pinned flash hider. I want to add a rail of some sort and it will just complicate the process.

So a guy on the EE has offered me a Spike's middy with a very low round count + the spike's buffer for my upper. I will be including hand guards also since I will have no use for CAR hand guards.

I think it is apples vs apples but I was wanting to know what everyone thought.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I would keep the BCM 14.5"

FWIW, I also have a 14.5" with a pinned welded FH.  I use a Knights RAS and have no problems putting it on or taking it of...

This link has a good picture showing how it installs.

Here is one on the EE, a good pic of the kit..

Here is mine ...

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I know I can use a drop in, but I am wanting a 10" FF setup with a flip up front
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds fair depending on relative round counts. Are you planning on adding a gas block to the middy so you can put a longer rail on? Another option is to shave the FSB on the BCM and put an Omega 9 or 12 on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I would keep the mid length.  The trade is a fair trade but I prefer the midlength system and the shorter barrel.  I would just buy everything you want and have someone put it on for you.  The flash hider will have to come off if the FF handguard has its own barrel nut. (like the dd lite rail, troy trx, ect...)
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would keep the mid length.  The trade is a fair trade but I prefer the midlength system and the shorter barrel.  I would just buy everything you want and have someone put it on for you.  The flash hider will have to come off if the FF handguard has its own barrel nut. (like the dd lite rail, troy trx, ect...)

My BCM is a m4 style with a carbine length gas system. So I would be trading for a middy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
why not use the troy mrf-mx series rails?

they are a 2 piece free float.  easy to install/take off... no messing with the flashhider.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

they are a 2 piece free float.  easy to install/take off... no messing with the flashhider.

No QD sockets and I would still need to remove the FSB to cut it down and refinish it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Then get the midlength.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No QD sockets and I would still need to remove the FSB to cut it down and refinish it.

I have cut down several FSB's and I have never removed one from the barrel. Never removed the barrel from the upper either.

Example: 14.5" with 10" Midwest.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you already have your mind made up but want some justification from us. No need. Trade it off if it suits your need. I have heard nothing but good reports from Spikes and BCM end users and both companies have stellar CS.

Now if you don't have your mind made up then all necessary mods and refinishing can be done to your FSB while it is still attached.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the DD Omega free-floats the barrel, and installs on the factory barrel nut. so no removing FH or FSB.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the DD Omega free-floats the barrel, and installs on the factory barrel nut. so no removing FH or FSB.

This is correct.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#13]
(Edit) Oops - just saw the 10" requirement.  Never mind...
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The Omega uses the factory barrel nut.  The DD lite rail does not.  They have their own barrel nut.  You ever need to buy the barrel nut wrench to put it on.  It all depends on which rail you are going to use.  What look are you going for?  Do you want the gas block exposed or covered by the rail?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
It sounds fair if that is what you are looking to do. I wouldn't mind shooting the spikes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies....

I am still torn, but the other guy does want to do the trade I think. Choices choices.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Both uppers are from well respected brands.

Can't go wrong keeping or trading.

With that said, I love my Spike's Middy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#18]
One reason I am having trouble making the trade is the money difference.

I know the quality between the two is an apples vs apples comparison, but I paid 627$ for that 14.5" upper....

Got it before the sale sometime close to the obama scare...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One reason I am having trouble making the trade is the money difference.

I know the quality between the two is an apples vs apples comparison, but I paid 627$ for that 14.5" upper....

Got it before the sale sometime close to the obama scare...

You'll just have to forget that/suck it up. No way your going to come out on top of any deal you made during the scare, unless some new scare comes along.
Honestly, if you are going with a rail that you need to pull the barrel nut to install its not going to be that much more of a pain to remove the pinned flash hider.
Get what you want; the real differences here are mid gas vs carbine, and 2" of barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top