Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:57:31 AM EDT
The dust door on the ejection port of one of my rifles will not catch to shut. The detent seems to be pretty soft. What do I need to replace?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the rifle new? The little notch in the upper where the detent engages could be worn.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is the rifle new? The little notch in the upper where the detent engages could be worn.

not brand new but new. Seems the detent is a softer spring than my other rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link below has an ejection port cover assembly and other parts.  There's probably a ton of places that sell them actually.

This is assuming the problem is the door mechanism itself, and not erosion of the metal where the detent pin makes contact on the upper, or something else out of spec of course.

Me, I don't even know if I would worry about it for as often as I close my dust covers (which is almost never), but if you are in the field a lot with your AR then I can see how it would be a problem.

What brand AR is this?

Dust Cover Parts
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Link below has an ejection port cover assembly and other parts.  There's probably a ton of places that sell them actually.

This is assuming the problem is the door mechanism itself, and not erosion of the metal where the detent pin makes contact on the upper, or something else out of spec of course.

Me, I don't even know if I would worry about it for as often as I close my dust covers (which is almost never), but if you are in the field a lot with your AR then I can see how it would be a problem.

What brand AR is this?

Dust Cover Parts

I dont care much but Im selling it to a guy and want to make sure it works for him in case he uses it.

Its a CMT upper
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a new cover and a new snap ring (retaining clip).  That small ring is very easy to mangle when disassembling, IMO, it's just easier to replace (buy two, just in case) .  Midway and Brownells should have the parts.

Pop the clip off, slide the hinge pin out (being careful not to launch the spring), remove old ejection port cover.  Reinstall is the reverse, you might have to mess with the spring to get it to seat correctly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
so nothing I can do with the existing one that will make it work?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
so nothing I can do with the existing one that will make it work?

You could try and stretch the spring.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just slam the damn door man, just sayin' man

I have had this happen on a few occasions and i just removed a bit of the tip on the detent with the dremel on low speed....it never took me very much at all, just a smidge so go slow should you try this.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top