Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 2:59:06 PM EDT
My question is a simple one but to me worth asking. I have muzzel brake I would like to remove on a assembled upper( and it is not pinned.) Do I need to put the barrel in a VICE  to remove the muzzel brake I do not want to mess up the gas tube or the allingment of the feed ramps to the upper. I know that I can always try first to see how tight its on there, but I don't want to find that I should have taken the time or a little money to do the work correctly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My question is a simple one but to me worth asking. I have muzzel brake I would like to remove on a assembled upper( and it is not pinned.) Do I need to put the barrel in a VICE  to remove the muzzel brake I do not want to mess up the gas tube or the allingment of the feed ramps to the upper. I know that I can always try first to see how tight its on there, but I don't want to find that I should have taken the time or a little money to do the work correctly.

Use a long wrench

I never had problem
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Use some notched blocks to hold the barrel in a vise, just don't crush the gas tube.

Don't be shy with the torque on the vise either.  It's got to be tight or it will spin in the notches on your blocks while it's in the vise.

Then use some torque on the muzzle accessory.  

Don't worry about the feedr amps, they're on the barrel extension and the upper receiver, you're not going to apply any torque to either of those.

I would recommend a good book to you as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
THANKS
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the following vice jaws to install and remove muzzle components. I have 2 of them, one of which is cut down in size. Set the jaws close to the muzzle component. As mentioned earlier, do not be shy on cranking down on the vise. That and a good 3/4" open end wrench and you are g2g.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12799/Product/SCG_AR_15_M16_ACCU_GRIP_BARREL_VISE_JAWS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top