Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2010 2:35:39 PM EDT
I lube the shit out of my BCG, I've only taken it out twice (first gun) and when I fire it, oil comes out of the dust cover and leaves drops all over the gun. Is this a problem? If it means the gun is functioning better/longer and it's only cosmetic then I don't care. I just want to make sure I'm not doing any damage to the rifle. I know over-cleaning is an issue but I don't know about over-lubing.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really an issue. It definitely won't hurt the gun, it's just the wasteful excess being blown out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You're fine. After time you'll find a happy medium. Use a more viscous lube other than CLP/Rem oil.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
For all the months out of the year that it is not freezing (in MS quite a bit) I use gobs of grease (Rig) on my guns. I put a thick layer on all contact surfaces and I don't have to constantly reapply as I shoot.

When winter rolls around I will switch to something less viscous like 30w motor oil. It says where you put it (for the most part) and doesn't blow out as bad as the thinner stuff can.

If you look in any of my firearms you will find them in the same condition.

After I get done shooting, if it was particularly nasty (dirt) I will wipe the grease off and reapply.

I have never had a malfunction other than primer failures which was not the fault of the gun. I have covered my gun in dirt and it continued to fire. This is enough proof to me that my AR runs much better wet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
BCG and Upper soaked in lube is fine! The only time it may cause a problem is if you store your BR muzzle down for any length of time and shoot it without running a patch down the BARREL! You will make the Barrel manufactureres happy though![/red]  I have replaced bulged barrels for customers in the past and it can get pricey. This being said, I run my BLACK RIFLES dripping wet without a problem! My .02 M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BCG and Upper soaked in lube is fine! The only time it may cause a problem is if you store your BR muzzle down for any length of time and shoot it without running a patch down the BARREL! You will make the Barrel manufactureres happy though![/red]  I have replaced bulged barrels for customers in the past and it can get pricey. This being said, I run my BLACK RIFLES dripping wet without a problem! My .02 M4QUADRAIL

Wait a minute... I know your not really supposed to shoot the gun with lube in the bore, but are you saying that you've actually seen bulged barrels as a result of doing so??  How much friggin' lube was in them, a quart??

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a minute... I know your not really supposed to shoot the gun with lube in the bore, but are you saying that you've actually seen bulged barrels as a result of doing so??  How much friggin' lube was in them, a quart??

The answer would be "I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH!" What I do know is that the Bullets speed moves faster than the DOUGHNUT of oil it is trying to push forward and when the bullet overtakes the oil/lube you are left with a nice bulged BARREL viewable as you look down the bore. While in GUNSMITHING school in Colorado in the early nineties the scenario and drawing was placed on the chalk board and explained. I have seen many and made money off of others misfortune when I was Smithing and MFG. Why doesnt some GREAT ARFCOMMER with plenty of money or a shot out barrel experiment? Wait BAD IDEA! [red]CATASTROPHIC FAILURE MAY OCCUR![/red]
But we all do like the pics when posted!
By the way a quart of lube would fill the barrel of several Carbines or Rifles. BAD IDEA as in red above!
My educated guess would be as little as several drops would probably do the trick! My.02 M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer would be "I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH!" What I do know is that the Bullets speed moves faster than the DOUGHNUT of oil it is trying to push forward and when the bullet overtakes the oil/lube you are left with a nice bulged BARREL viewable as you look down the bore. While in GUNSMITHING school in Colorado in the early nineties the scenario and drawing was placed on the chalk board and explained. I have seen many and made money off of others misfortune when I was Smithing and MFG. Why doesnt some GREAT ARFCOMMER with plenty of money or a shot out barrel experiment? Wait BAD IDEA! [red]CATASTROPHIC FAILURE MAY OCCUR![/red]
By the way a quart of lube would fill the barrel of several Carbines or Rifles. BAD IDEA as in red above!
My educated guess would be as little as several drops would probably do the trick! My.02 M4QUADRAIL

When I said a quart I was obviously exaggerating.  I usually store my rifles with a light coat of lube, and store them muzzle up, and almost always run a dry patch thru prior to shooting, but I'll admit that there have been times I've forgotten.  I honestly thought that whole thing about ruining the barrel was somewhat of a myth, I understand the concept, but still.  Good to know.

OP:  sorry for going somewhat off topic, to answer your question there's no such thing as too much lube on the BCG, the worst thing that will happen is some will spit back in your face on the first couple of rounds.  For the BCG, wetter is better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I said a quart I was obviously exaggerating.  I usually store my rifles with a light coat of lube, and store them muzzle up, and almost always run a dry patch thru prior to shooting, but I'll admit that there have been times I've forgotten.  I honestly thought that whole thing about ruining the barrel was somewhat of a myth, I understand the concept, but still.  Good to know.

OP:  sorry for going somewhat off topic, to answer your question there's no such thing as too much lube on the BCG, the worst thing that will happen is some will spit back in your face on the first couple of rounds.  For the BCG, wetter is better.

If it's so wet that it's spitting lube in your face in the first couple rounds it's clear that lube it ejected wasn't doing any good, so why put it there in the first place? Unless you like wasting lube and having it spattered on your face I'd suggest taking the time to learn just how much lube is actually needed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's so wet that it's spitting lube in your face in the first couple rounds it's clear that lube it ejected wasn't doing any good, so why put it there in the first place? Unless you like wasting lube and having it spattered on your face I'd suggest taking the time to learn just how much lube is actually needed.

Because it's better to have too much than not enough.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
i dunk my bcg's in a pan with mobil one and theyll spew a little put for the first few shots , but im ok with that
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's better to have too much than not enough.

Is it so hard to just use the right amount?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
oil's cheap ar's are expensive.run'em wet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I lube the fucking shit out of all my guns.  Too much is never enough.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
oil's cheap ar's are expensive.run'em wet.

This  Wetter=Better
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top