Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:59:34 AM EDT
It recommends me to get the NiB trigger group as well at $60, I understand the advantage of having all internal parts at consistent materials but is the trigger system any good? I have a stock Oly one right now and plan on eventually getting a new group anyways but should I get this one for the sake of having NiB all inside?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
are they selling just the FCG separate from the enhanced LPK?

I have been waiting for this!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
yes they are its in the Lowers section, 2nd page MSRP $59
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It recommends me to get the NiB trigger group as well at $60, I understand the advantage of having all internal parts at consistent materials but is the trigger system any good? I have a stock Oly one right now and plan on eventually getting a new group anyways but should I get this one for the sake of having NiB all inside?

To answer your question, no, you don't need to get the trigger group. The one you have has a hammer that will strike the firing pin and the new BCG will cock the hammer for the next round.

If I were you I'd add a few more bucks and get a nice 2-stage trigger group when you're ready to upgrade from your Oly. You can usually get a Rock River 2-stage for around a hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How's AR Gold? To be honest its look just kind of grabbed my attention but I heard Giesselle is one of the best
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How's AR Gold? To be honest its look just kind of grabbed my attention but I heard Giesselle is one of the best

I think you need to consider what you are looking to do with an upgraded trigger.

There are match/target triggers and there are battle triggers.  (well, for lack of a better word).

AR Gold and Giesselle are (mostly) 2-stage match/target triggers.  If you are not familiar with 2-stage triggers, they pull through a distance with no interference and then STOP.  That is your trigger break.  It is usually very light and crisp.

The Spikes NiB is a "battle" trigger that is enhanced by a smooth nickle-boron coating.  This is your standard trigger type where, except for some creep and take-up, it just gets pulled to let off a round.

There are advantages and disadvatanges of each type depending on your application.  If you are building a varminter or an SPR type gun, then a 2-stage is nice.  For close-in fighting, most will prefer the immediate battle triggers.   The reason for this is that the reset is generally better suited for fast follow-ups, a more reliable and harder hammer-strike, and usually simpler, more robust components.  A lot of people DO shoot fast with the 2-stage though (3 gun competition guys) and practice a pull-through trigger pull, but to me this just seems like a bad habit to break.  

Worst comes to worst, you can always swap-out trigger types pretty simply if you are unsure.  I have the spike's trigger kit and it is pretty nice.  Not a match trigger or a gunsmith tuned trigger, but a definite improvement over the basic LPK setup.  I would recommend trying the DPMS RRA NM 2-stage trigger if you think you may want to go 2 stage.  The reason is simple.  It is simply OUTSTANDING for a $70 trigger kit.  Yeah, I'm sure the gieselle is better, but that is $200+.  You are in CT right?  Ask the guys at JoJo's what they put in their guns.  It is the DPMS.    RRA NM 2-stage.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
NiB BCG... Great choice...
but,

I suggest Geissele SSA or SSA-E…
Only triggers I would use… and I have used them all… (almost)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you need to consider what you are looking to do with an upgraded trigger.  

There are match/target triggers and there are battle triggers.  (well, for lack of a better word).

AR Gold and Giesselle are (mostly) 2-stage match/target triggers.  If you are not familiar with 2-stage triggers, they pull through a distance with no interference and then STOP.  That is your trigger break.  It is usually very light and crisp.

The Spikes NiB is a "battle" trigger that is enhanced by a smooth nickle-boron coating.  This is your standard trigger type where, except for some creep and take-up, it just gets pulled to let off a round.

There are advantages and disadvatanges of each type depending on your application.  If you are building a varminter or an SPR type gun, then a 2-stage is nice.  For close-in fighting, most will prefer the immediate battle triggers.   The reason for this is that the reset is generally better suited for fast follow-ups, a more reliable and harder hammer-strike, and usually simpler, more robust components.  A lot of people DO shoot fast with the 2-stage though (3 gun competition guys) and practice a pull-through trigger pull, but to me this just seems like a bad habit to break.  

Worst comes to worst, you can always swap-out trigger types pretty simply if you are unsure.  I have the spike's trigger kit and it is pretty nice.  Not a match trigger or a gunsmith tuned trigger, but a definite improvement over the basic LPK setup.  I would recommend trying the DPMS 2-stage trigger if you think you may want to go 2 stage.  The reason is simple.  It is simply OUTSTANDING for a $70 trigger kit.  Yeah, I'm sure the gieselle is better, but that is $200+.  You are in CT right?  Ask the guys at JoJo's what they put in their guns.  It is the DPMS.  

I was just at Jo Jo's yesterday lol, incredible guys btw. But I forgot to bring up the trigger question as they actually stayed open an extra half hour for me as I got lost on my way there. They attached my Spikes NiB extension LW50 barrel and perm attached a battlecomp.

but I digress, I am bending more towards the tactical end so I would be more interested in a better single stage I guess? I heard Wilson's TTU is great but it better be at that price so I may go with the Spike's one eventually.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Stock trigger will do you just fine. Want to improve your standard GI trigger send it to Bill Springfield. For 39 bucks best trigger mod for the money. Breaks like glass..
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Why change out parts that are not broke?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst comes to worst, you can always swap-out trigger types pretty simply if you are unsure.  I have the spike's trigger kit and it is pretty nice.  Not a match trigger or a gunsmith tuned trigger, but a definite improvement over the basic LPK setup.  I would recommend trying the DPMS 2-stage trigger if you think you may want to go 2 stage.  The reason is simple.  It is simply OUTSTANDING for a $70 trigger kit.  Yeah, I'm sure the gieselle is better, but that is $200+.  You are in CT right?  Ask the guys at JoJo's what they put in their guns.  It is the DPMS.  

I was just at Jo Jo's yesterday lol, incredible guys btw. But I forgot to bring up the trigger question as they actually stayed open an extra half hour for me as I got lost on my way there. They attached my Spikes NiB extension LW50 barrel and perm attached a battlecomp.
but I digress, I am bending more towards the tactical end so I would be more interested in a better single stage I guess? I heard Wilson's TTU is great but it better be at that price so I may go with the Spike's one eventually.

Yup, those guys know how to make a customer for life.  I hope your not into 1911's  You'll be living in a van down by the river and living on ramen noodles if you let them show you some of their custom guns. Oh, and they get some neat MG's and other class 3 from time to time too. Also, I need to correct myself, those triggers are RRA NM 2 stagers, not DPMS.

If your running a stainless steel lothar walther barrel, I'd guess that you could easily use it as a target rifle.   (I'm just reading about this upper now, polygonal rifling, wylde chamber, 1/8 twist, what a sweet setup!)  I guess you have some choices then.  I like spike's stuff.  Using their upper on my setup right now, but nothing that fancy.

Here is a thread comparing triggers.  May be slightly out of date as the market moves fast, but it should give you the tools you need to make an informed decision.  But, lots of trigger time behind the standard one is going to make you a hell of a marksman.  A $300 trigger isnt going to make the meatbag behind the trigger any better

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah the barrel is really pretty sweet spike's had one 16" midlength left in their stock and I had it bead blasted spike's claims that people have put 48k+ rds through it and it still runs accurately so I figured it would be a good tactical/ SHTF choice.
but yeah I think Im gonna have Jo Jo's do a cerakote on my upper and lower eventually
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stock trigger will do you just fine. Want to improve your standard GI trigger send it to Bill Springfield. For 39 bucks best trigger mod for the money. Breaks like glass..

...and then it just breaks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using a CMMG 2 stage. It's more of a 2 stage battle trigger. 4.5lb. second stage, fairly short reset and looks to be a sturdy, non adjustable set up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and then it just breaks doubles or triples

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top