Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2010 7:36:29 AM EDT
I know this has been discussed before, but I am a new AR user, and specifics are needed to respond.  I have a Bushmaster AR in .223 with a 16" chrome lined barrel.  The forearm is not free floated.  I was using a Trijicon 3-9 x 40 Accupoint amber dot scope.  I put the upper on a different lower that had a 1.5 # Jard trigger in it.  I was shooting off a bench at 100 yds using handloaded ammo (PNC brass, CCI 450 primers, Sierra #1365 Game King 55 gr bullets, and 25.5-27.3 gr Varget).  My groups were roughly .560-1.5".  Is that reasonable for that configuration and quality of gun?  In most cases, three shots would be tighter, and one (I was shooting four shot groups) would open the group up.  There was a 10-15 mph crosswind, but I was shooting in a strip cut in a cornfield hoping to minimize the wind.  From what I gather from other posts, it seems this may be all I can expect from this gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes its great

ANY rifle that does less than 2 moa on demand is a keeper.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Accurate enough for what, killing bad guys or popping groundhogs at 500yards?  Either way, the groups you report are very good (assuming they are at 100yds), especially for a non free-floated chrome-lined barrel.  However, to obtain a more realistic group size, groups should be on the order of 7-10 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot ten shot groups to get a more accurate group size. I think you will find the one opening up your group is really not. Search for molans post about group size.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess in all that, I forgot to mention.  It will be a coyote calling rifle used for home defense if needed.  I will shoot a bigger group of the best load to get a more accurate idea of size.  At this point, I was shooting five different powder charges.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like you're just fine.

Question, though, how far away are you planning to shoot coyotes?  

Heavier bullets (maybe 68gr) will reduce the effect of wind, and might produce more consistent hits out at 200yd and farther when you actually need them.  Also, it might turn out that your barrel really likes them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shoot ten shot groups to get a more accurate group size. I think you will find the one opening up your group is really not. Search for molans post about group size.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Your search will be quicker if you search for MolOn.  "The trouble with 3-shot groups."
answer to your question depends on intended use.  Do you intend to choose a ventricle at 25 ft as he's coming through your door?

ETA ooops missed the coyote reference.  Then the answer depends on expected range.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top