BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:44:32 PM EDT
If so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I use odorless or low odor mineral spirits with a little CLP as my basic cleaning solution.  It works well, leaving the parts with a coating of oil and doesn't dry them out like brake cleaner.

Quib posted this solution and I started using it.  I store it in a mason jar after use.  The crud settles to the bottom and next use I just pour from the top and dispose of the remainder.  I have an 8 x8 bakers pan with a metal silverware tray that is used for small parts and lifting things out of the solution to drip dry a little.  A little wipe down and spray with an air compressor and it's done.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use odorless or low odor mineral spirits with a little CLP as my basic cleaning solution.  It works well, leaving the parts with a coating of oil and doesn't dry them out like brake cleaner.

Quib posted this solution and I started using it.  I store it in a mason jar after use.  The crud settles to the bottom and next use I just pour from the top and dispose of the remainder.  I have an 8 x8 bakers pan with a metal silverware tray that is used for small parts and lifting things out of the solution to drip dry a little.  A little wipe down and spray with an air compressor and it's done.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/rlr350/DSC_0001.jpg

That's a nice setup.

I haven't used mineral spirits for normal gun cleaning, but it does wonders for removing cosmoline.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I did notice the other day when cleaning my Glock .45 that the solution didn't really do the best job on the barrel.  I didn't let it soak and it has probably never been cleaned good (issued gun) so I used a little foaming bore cleaner.  It does seem to work fine on my personally owned guns that are regularly cleaned/maintained, but for tuff stuff you may need something stronger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Simple Green
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I use mineral spirits as a light bore cleaner, a blend of mineral spirits and Mobil 1 for all purpose "CLP", and Mobil 1 for lubricant.

I don't know how it rates from a scientific perspective, but it all seems to do the trick adequately.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a solution that is mostly mineral spirits and acetone that I use for general cleaning and soaking for heavily fouled parts.  Works well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My mixture is one gallon of mineral spirits, one quart of motor oil and one quart of Marvel Mystery oil.  I leave it in a small parts cleaner that I got from Harbor Freight.  It works well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have also used a CLP/Mineral Spirits to clean the BCG parts and such. Works well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
To be honest I haven't ever needed anything other than Hoppes no. 9 and WD-40 to clean my firearms. I did get some copper fouling remover for my Mosin but hot tap water works just fine. ymmv

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To be honest I haven't ever needed anything other than Hoppes no. 9 and WD-40 to clean my firearms. I did get some copper fouling remover for my Mosin but hot tap water works just fine. ymmv

Not good. Get some kind of gun oil/CLP.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Simple Green

Simple green promotes rust so be careful and rinse very well!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not good. Get some kind of gun oil/CLP.

OMFG. There is nothing wrong with CLEANING with WD-40. I know the difference between cleaning and lubricating.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/rlr350/DSC_0001.jpg

I do the same for my BCGs.

Also got the idea from Quib's thread.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top