Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:56:04 PM EDT
it seems that all that is needed is a couple of strips of hard wood that can be used to clamp the receiver just under the rail.  A quick measurement shows that square stock about 3/16 x 3/16 x 6 inches of the receiver can be used to clamp.  This should be plenty sufficient to hold the receiver steady.

ps.  not being cheap but just trying to find alternate solutions that can be freely available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be done but will be weaker than the same thing from Delrin or similar material. Would work great for a nice way to display it or clean it but to rebarrel or anything that would put pressure on it the pin holes would split.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone taking woodshop?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't say this if you mess up your receiver...

Turn your receiver on it's side...place one piece of wood on the rail and the other on the bottom of the upper receiver.......close the vice....I got that from a gun smith...it is not recommended for repeated use but will work in a pinch....vice blocks are not that expensive...
SASS
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Didnt someone do a wooden lower last year?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I was misunderstood.  I was suggesting putting a couple of 3/16 by 3/16 wood slabs lengthwise along the receiver just below the rail.  This part of the receiver is real meaty and reinforced by the rail and I don't see how anything else would be affected or bent by then clamping these slabs in a vise.  The receiver would be upside down but so what.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I assume you mean to use this for barrel installation and/or removal? If so, 3/16 x 3/16 isn't going to be enough to trust. It's enough to hold your upper in place for cleaning or other light operations, but for a barrel, you may need to apply up to 80 ft lbs to install and possibly more to remove. 3/16 just isn't going to stand up to that kind of force.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
…Try this, I’ve build many A3 uppers’ this way…

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/762CETME/AR_7.jpg

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My local gun shop uses 1" and 2" pieces of wood to hold uppers in a vise.  I think 3/16" will be way to weak.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Turn your receiver on it's side...place one piece of wood on the rail and the other on the bottom of the upper receiver.......close the vice....I got that from a gun smith...it is not recommended for repeated use but will work in a pinch....vice blocks are not that expensive...
SASS

Yeah I wouldn't recommend this method.  I tried it tonight (no I didn't get the idea from this thread) and this is what happened.  I also got that advise from a gun smith, just my luck it didn't work:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have done even more ghetto than that, on an old post ban A2...clamped that piece to the iron porch railing with plywood blocks. Definitely not smooth, but it worked...BARELY. I think what the wood blocks lack is that nice insert that goes inside the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Why take the chance on F*ing up your receiver ?
Buy the proper tool for the job.

I'd stay away from any "gunsmith" that uses blocks of wood to put together any rifle
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would you? A proper action block can be found for less than $50.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SASS

Yeah I wouldn't recommend this method.  I tried it tonight (no I didn't get the idea from this thread) and this is what happened.  I also got that advise from a gun smith, just my luck it didn't work:
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/CENTCOM_Survivor/Guns/DSC07613copy.jpg
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/CENTCOM_Survivor/Guns/DSC07614copy.jpg

I have used the two blocks of wood method for non standard uppers.  I also use this method for AR10's, since my clamshell is too small.  You just have to make sure there isn't any gap between the lugs.  Also, a hardwood is advised.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have done even more ghetto than that, on an old post ban A2...clamped that piece to the iron porch railing with plywood blocks. Definitely not smooth, but it worked...BARELY. I think what the wood blocks lack is that nice insert that goes inside the upper receiver.

Ultimately, I agree a $50- dollar "folding plastic upper receiver holding block" is the best bet…

My “ghetto block” was fabricated from plywood and sugar maple fitted to solely confine an A3 upper.  For subsequent builds, I’ve started shoring-up its plywood sides w/ some scrap steel plating to prevent any twisting or deflection when the barrel nut is tightened which may cause the upper receiver to be damaged as shown in 'CENTCOM_Survivor' pics above...

{As I guess as an ‘inside joke’ the “ghetto” comment totally cracked me up!    

I’ll do my best to explain why...  

On occasion I’ll be working on the house or car and I’ll fabricate something “to get the job done from moment” until I can get it done the “right way” and my wife will say, “Oh God, that looks soooo ghetto!”  My wife was born in Greenwich, Connecticut and grew up in college / ski resort town in Vermont and graduated from Bard College.  On the other hand, I was raised, until my teen years, in lovely and picturesque, Buffalo, New York.  So I always needle her back by responding “Woman!  What chew knows about the ‘ghetto’!” }

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ultimately, I agree a $50- dollar "folding plastic upper receiver holding block" is the best bet…

My “ghetto block” was fabricated from plywood and sugar maple fitted to solely confine an A3 upper.  For subsequent builds, I’ve started shoring-up its plywood sides w/ some scrap steel plating to prevent any twisting or deflection when the barrel nut is tightened which may cause the upper receiver to be damaged as shown in 'CENTCOM_Survivor' pics above...

{As I guess as an ‘inside joke’ the “ghetto” comment totally cracked me up!    

I’ll do my best to explain why...  

On occasion I’ll be working on the house or car and I’ll fabricate something “to get the job done from moment” until I can get it done the “right way” and my wife will say, “Oh God, that looks soooo ghetto!”  My wife was born in Greenwich, Connecticut and grew up in college / ski resort town in Vermont and graduated from Bard College.  On the other hand, I was raised, until my teen years, in lovely and picturesque, Buffalo, New York.  So I always needle her back by responding “Woman!  What chew knows about the ‘ghetto’!” }

Man, that is funny, your wife cracking on your ghetto rigs! Hey, I know my comment came off as sounding like I was cracking on your rig, but yours is first rate compared to my porch railing/plywood block rig. Now, that was a rig, for sure. Hey, my barrels clamps are, you guessed it, wood. Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess not alot of people grew up on farms where you either made your own tools or had to come up with a method to accomplish a certain task.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top