Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 1:47:37 PM EDT
I am working on my first build and have never seen one before until yesterday afternoon.

I'm liking it a lot!

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The dissy is for someone who wants a 16 inch barrel with a carbine gas system and a rifle sight radius, and rifle hand guards. The Bushmaster has a shaved FSB under the handguards. The front FSB has no gas tube, just a roll pin installed into the gas hole to hold the triangle handguard cap inplace, Its not a bad setup, and can be made into some interesting configurations, with rifle lenght rail systems.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
People seem to either love or hate the looks.  For me, it is about functionality.  I love the rifle length sight radius.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People seem to either love or hate the looks.  For me, it is about functionality.  I love the rifle length sight radius.

This is what I am thinking.

Same sight radius, smaller package.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just pulled the trigger on the new upper from ADCO and I am glad I did.  It has a mid-length dissipator, which I have seen no where else on a dissy unles you put it together on your own.  I really like the rifle sight radius and the longer rail it pretty sweet as well.  I have not gotten the time to do more than zero it but from that time I really like it.

I decide to put a TA31RCO on there as well

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
i have built 2 with J&T kits, i abosutely love them. the heavy barrel seems a bit heavy after a afternoon of shooting but i love the accuracy. i sold one to a buddy that had to have it and the other is my truck gun. Bushamster now makes a light weight dissy upper, i would love to have one
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the longer sight radius better but now rarely use them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a hard time finding one with a midlength gas system. I would think that would make more sense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
CMMG sells one with midlength gas.

16" midlength gas Dissy

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
my bro's dissy, also an adco Cruiser barrel.  Its my father behind the optic

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
They just look right to me...and if it looks right, it is right.  It makes sense as well.  I'm stuck on A2 hand guards and the sight radius made this the default option for me.  Mine's a rifle length gas system with an enlarged port but a mid length is really the right way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They just look right to me...and if it looks right, it is right.  It makes sense as well.  I'm stuck on A2 hand guards and the sight radius made this the default option for me.  Mine's a rifle length gas system with an enlarged port but a mid length is really the right way to do it.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/Ricky_a_photos/IMG_1992.jpg

Why?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I love them.  Longer sight radius with the benefit of less hot barrel to burn yourself with.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Well, the long and short of it are that with a 16" barrel the carbine length is a little over-gassed with a longer dwell time, the rifle length tends to be under-gassed with a short dwell time, and the mid length is considered the best compromise for a 16-18" barrel.  The carbine length is optimized for a 14.5" barrel, the rifle was intended to work with a 20" barrel, and the mid is becoming the standard for everything in-between.

There's some good info and graphs near the bottom of the page HERE
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Well, the long and short of it are that with a 16" barrel the carbine length is a little over-gassed with a longer dwell time, the rifle length tends to be under-gassed with a short dwell time, and the mid length is considered the best compromise for a 16-14(for 18 its between rifle and mid - they have it called intermediate.)" barrel.  The carbine length is optimized for a 11.5" barrel, the rifle was intended to work with a 20" barrel, and the mid is becoming the standard for everything in-between 14.5 and 18".

There's some good info and graphs near the bottom of the page HERE

Not all correct, I fixed it for ya

Due to the energy transfered into the action (pressure and dwell time), pistol gas system (on 5.56) is best for under 10", Carbine is optimal for 11.5" and best out to 14".  Midlength is best from 14.5" out to about 17"  Its ok for 18".  Intermediate is perfect for 18".  Rifle is best for 20"+
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:55:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Love it!  More rail space to add stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
So from what I'm reading, the rifle length gas system isn't suitable for a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 14.5" middy with a 12" DD Omega rail that I really like, I also have a 18" mk12ish clone that uses a rifle length gas system. I haven't had issues with the 14.5 middy but the 18" rifle fails to lock the bolt back with Wolf ammo, works great with everything that is full power though.

I'm thinking about doing a 16" 6.8 midlength dissy build using MOE components for one of my next builds. I've got the 6.8 marked lower but haven't started anything else yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So from what I'm reading, the rifle length gas system isn't suitable for a 16" barrel?

Not without modification.  It can work, but be unreliable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to see a dissy with a light weight barrel and mid-length gas.  If someone doesn't offer one soon I'll go ADCO and have them re-profile the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a dissy upper from DPMS with a rifle length gas system and it's a tack driver ! I have over 2000 rds. thru her and it doesn't miss a beat. It's never jammed. That's bulls#*% it does not work with a 16" barrel. It's all internet talk,That's all...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#23]
You just gave me an idea for my next rifle:

Flat top upper with 16" barrel dissy with Magpul MOE handguards....

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a dissy upper from DPMS with a rifle length gas system and it's a tack driver ! I have over 2000 rds. thru her and it doesn't miss a beat. It's never jammed. That's bulls#*% it does not work with a 16" barrel. It's all internet talk,That's all...

I think people are saying it's problematic to use a rifle length gas with a 16" barrel, not that it is problematic to use a dissy (which is carbine length gas).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people are saying it's problematic to use a rifle length gas with a 16" barrel, not that it is problematic to use a dissy (which is carbine length gas).

It's not ideal, but properly tuned it works fine.  It can be problematic with low powered loads, some have short stroking issues in extreme cold weather, and they can be more sensitive to fouling.  It just takes some of the flexibility out of the system.  On the plus side, they are very soft shooting and can be more accurate due to the low impulse.  Mine has never given me a problem, but I've always fired the same ammo out of it.

ETA:  If you're building from scratch or buying a new upper, there's very little reason to go rifle length gas.  I went that route as I was pleased with the performance of the existing upper/barrel and couldn't afford to go with anything else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#27]

My old rifle.
20" gas system. Ran fine but never really run hard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top