Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:19 AM EDT
Hello all, I am new to the forums, have been looking around for the past week or so and am trying to figure out what I would like... I currently have a 9mm XDm and would like to put together a nice AR15. I am still learning and if anyone wouldn't mind passing some good website where I can learn a bit more information about how to build or what I should look for in buying ... From what I have read in the forums the best way to go is build your own, which would be great but I need a start...

For my first would you recommend building or buying complete? Which brands would you suggest ...
Also I am thinking about going with a 5.56x45 or what would you suggest... Looking for something just for the range so I don't need anything to big?

I know I'm kinda all over the place but trying to figure out where I should start, and am still going through the forums a bit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
First off... welcome to the site!

I would say buy your first…. Read a lot and get familiar with it and then build your second.

As far as suggestions go, the best deal on the market right now is the Spikes Tactical M4-LE…
It’s a heck of a rifle for $799.95 and if you use the Coupon Code ARFCOM you get 5% off of that.

Here is a link: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

And as far as building goes, spend some time in the “build it yourself” section and check out the sticky threads at the top… lots of good info
Here is a link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here.  I wouldn't suggest building your first.  Yes, they're easy to build, but you really need a working knowledge of all the parts, what they're called, and most importantly WHY you want a particular part.  Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's going to suit YOUR purposes and expectations.  I would strongly suggest an M4-type carbine for your first.  Get that, then you can pick out an optic and other accessories like a weapon light, and customize it if you wish.

There are several good guns out there right now for reasonable prices, and that will wind-up confusing you, too.  However, for your first, theres no reason to spend over $800-$900.  Take any extra you may have and buy mags and ammo.

To make it as simple for you as you can, I would simply buy a Spikes M4 LE.  High quality, no corners cut, has all the features that you'll neeed for a trouble-free, long-lasting rifle, and you won't need to upgrade anything.  Down the road, you can add things you may find you want (rail, different stock, etc.) but the basic package is already there.

If you were to go through a catalog and pick the parts you'd want on a rifle, the Spikes comes with 90% of them already.  BTW, I HAVE a Spikes, and have built several up using all the major Spikes components.  IMHO, you simply can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I started out with a cheap "frankenrifle" I purchased from a friend for $400.00... this got me shooting right away and I found things I didn't like about the gun (sometimes "cool looks" and "good function" are not synonyms with each other) so I did research to figure out how to change those things I didn't like or didn't function well for me. This went on for many months all the while I was starting to  accumulate tools, spare parts and knowledge. Then I decided to try my first build .... purchased the lower first and then the lower parts kit and a stock I wanted ... then went to the "assemble your own lower" section of this site and figured out the procedure and what tools were needed and BAM I had a complete lower. This process has continued for years now and I've collected more and more tools, parts and knowledge. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of information that can be found here and the m multitude of helpful members willing to spend their time helping others with problems.

With the current prices of complete rifles it would be way more costly to buy the parts and then the tools to assemble it .. of course then you will have the tools for the next build (and there will be a next build). So it boils down to what's best for you ... spend "X" money on complete rifle and shoot it that day and modify it later... or spend "X" money on parts and tools and get it exactly the way you want and shoot....sometime?... the only problem with this scenario is you don't really know what you like or dislike at this point as your not shooting anything yet.

Sorry if I got a little winded ... I worked all night and I'm tired.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
i would highly suggest spikes.  If you want to shoot sub moa, its best to build your own.  However, the spikes midlength(or carbine, but id suggest mid) is the best bang for your buck out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were you I'd look at all of the rifles and carbines in the photo albums and get an idea of what looks good to you. If you live close to a gun dealer or gun shows, handle the different set ups, traditional haguards, MOE, freefloat tube or railed hand guards. Everything you need to build a gun is on this site.

Just do a bit of research before you jump in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you so much guys! This is exactly the starting information I was looking for. I will look into the Spikes Tactical M4-LE and around $800-900 dollars to start was what I was looking to spend. I did think that putting one together myself would be a bit difficult but I do enjoy learning how everything works, but I guess I could do more research in time and a second rifle could be a project... Thank you for the help and I will continue doing my homework!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Go nuts and get a RRA 9mm Carbine.  Share ammo with the pistol!

While you fiddle with the ergonomics of that, start building yourself a Ar with all the things you want.  Carbine or midlength.  16" or pinned 14.5".  

etc....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top