Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 1:51:56 PM EDT
I have an older mag, I think preban, have a magpul ranger plate on it..but it spits out rounds and jams all the times....should I toss the body and keep the spring and follower, and magpul?  What say the hive?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i would just keep the Magpul and throw the rest, unless its a magpul follower.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
keep it  and use it to practice malfuntion drills.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an older mag, I think preban, have a magpul ranger plate on it..but it spits out rounds and jams all the times....should I toss the body and keep the spring and follower, and magpul?  What say the hive?

Use it to practice malfunction drills. It's the absolute best thing you can o for malfunctions since you will never exactly know when it's going to jam, so it's a bit more realistic.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
no no,  not just jams, spits 3-4 roungs into the gun...I put it back in, maybe 1 shot then 3-4 more rounds all over the ground...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You can use it to make a stand like this one.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

Paint the front red and keep it as an intentional "bad magazine" for training.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I like using them as stands, too.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Could use it in a vise??

Im lucky every AR15 mag I ever bought works
8 COLT 20rounders alloy F
7 USGI 30 rounders Okay,Adventure Line/Parsons
7 Thermolds 30 rounders
8 D&H curve 20 rounders Black teflon
7 ORLITES 30`s

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could use it in a vise??

7 Thermolds 30 rounders
7 ORLITES 30`s

That my friend is a winner.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Should I even mess w/ trying to make the feedlips bend?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You could, cause it definitely wouldn't hurt. I had a CProducts mag that always caused FTF's, so played around with the lips a bit until I got it right. As far as I recall (I haven't used it in a while), it's been perfect ever since.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is what I'd do first.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I sold every metallic mag that I owned and switched everything to P Mags and haven't had a problem since.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Shit can it. Mags are expendable... trying to fix a bad magazine is like trying to refill a Bic lighter.
save the follower and shit can the rest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
double tap...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
My SIG 556 came with a no name POS mag. Warped so badly first time it spent some time in the sun it could carely insert into the mag well.

The past two years it has kept  one of my barn doors open. Works perfectly as a WEDGE.

Toss it...mags are cheap.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shit can it. Mags are expendable... trying to fix a bad magazine is like trying to refill a Bic lighter.

Never fall in love with a mag...  Either shitcan it, crush it, or mark it as defective (to practice with)- do not let a mag worth $4-5 cause you grief.
Mags are expendable, it served it's purpose. If it'll make you feel better, strip the parts and throw it in a recycle bin. Toss it...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it's an original USGI & there were several companie's who were contracted by our military LaBelle, OK Industrie's, Colt etc...If it's not bent it' s worth a new spring, follower & Duracolt. These original's were & still are great mag's. I would not destroy one that $5 buck's would have it running for another 50 year's. They have proved their worthyness in the last 50 year's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I gotta agree.  Find something useful to do with it (like the bench or vise idea), but I would never trust it or any of its parts again to be a reliable mag.  Not worth it.  Too easily replaced.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You could monkey with it and see if you can get it to work, but NEVER trust it again.  Paint it pink, red, whatever and try to fix it if you want, but I'd just toss it or make something useful out of it.  Just not worth the risk for <$10.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. Once a mag of mine jams up three times, it gets the old butt stroke after it's gutted.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
a mag that don't run gets float tested.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Clamp it in a vise and use it as a cleaning stand/mag block.
Make sure to fuck it up real good so you don't mistake it for a serviceable mag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Paint it red, malfunction/range mag.

Or, if you're a real turd, sell it at the gun show
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Could use it in a vise??

7 Thermolds 30 rounders
7 ORLITES 30`s

Same here all 100+ USGI mags I have work great. I even have some old old old 20 rounders with what appears to be a metal follower that still works 100%.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could use it in a vise??

7 Thermolds 30 rounders

7 ORLITES 30`s

Same here all 100+ USGI mags I have work great. I even have some old old old 20 rounders with what appears to be a metal follower that still works 100%.

Ditto here too.

56 Pre-bans - 40 Center's, 5 DSL?Sanchez(the working ones), 5 AdventureLine, 3 Parsons, 3 LaBelle's.  All upgrade with CProducts springs & followers.

12 CProducts Teflon mags.

2 PMags

All work fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.  If you should ever have to trust your life to your weapon, there is no guarantee it will go bang every time.  Practicing clearing drills is important.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Make sure to fuck it up real good so you don't mistake it for a serviceable mag.

Just  remove spring and fill with epoxy putty.
Makes it crush proof when mounted in vise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sell the mag body (if dated) to someone in a ban state. They can fix it and use it. Otherwise, you might examine the mag to find out what's wrong with it. My guess is a very worn-out spring or perhaps a dent or other problem that prevents the follower from moving up fast enough. Without taking it apart, use a ruler or other implement to push the follower all the way down, and let it rise slowly to see if it drags or stops. If it passes that, take the spring and follower out. See if the spring is as long as a new one from the same type of mag and is installed correctly. See if the follower is damaged or worn in any way, and replace it with one of the latest design. While you're at it, clean the mag. Load the mag with ten rounds. Push out one round at a time, checking after each one to see if spring tension is maintained on the follower. At the range or in another safe place, fully load the magazine, lock it in the rifle and manually pull the charging handle and release it until all rounds have been loaded and ejected, or a malfunction has occurred. If it works, reload it and test-fire.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just  remove spring and fill with epoxy putty.
Makes it crush proof when mounted in vise.

this is what I was going to say.  I had a mag that failed three different times.  It got filled with mold making putty (had it laying around) and it is now in my vice for tinkering around on the AR
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Take the follower out and use the rest as a target
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Having Thermolds and Orlites that have been in your basement for 20 yrs does not mean they work well... just means in the 3 times you have shot them, you did not have a problem.... there still crap mags and there are better choices..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Discard immediately.  Do not salvage parts off of it.  Do not retain for "failure drills".  Do not try to sell it.  Do not give it to a friend.  It is a defective magazine, and we're not stranded on a deserted island.  It and it's components are far more likely to cause you frustrations (at best), than to be of benefit.  

Magazines are cheap.  This isn't something to even ponder.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Fill it full of Liquid Nails and make it a vise block.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Even here behind enemy lines where pre-bans are at a premium. If I come a across a mag that doesn't feed reliably for whatever reason, I pop out the internals and flatten it on the spot.

imo, Mags should always be considered perishable. If im ever in a situiation where I really need a boom and only hear a click odds are almost certain that its gonna be a magazine failure of some kind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Mags are cheap once again.  Shitcan the whole damned thing and buy another magazine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I saw quite a while back where someone made a mag into a action cooling device.there were small pc fans powered by a 9v battery.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top