Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 11:00:44 AM EDT
I have had a AR for years and had to sell it about 2 year back because of a money pinch.  I'm in the market for a new gun now.  So much has changed since I got my 1st AR (Colt).  Who makes a good gun for a good price.  
Thanks for your help

Ashton

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Spikes Tactical LE M4
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt, LMT, DD, BCM, Spike's, Sabre.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Spikes Tactical LE M4

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
My local dealer (Greentop in Virginia)  is pushing the M&P 15? Any good?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Spikes,BCM,Colt..same quality but listed cheapest to most expensive out of these 3.All top quality parts and proper assembly and testing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The M&P is good, but it's lacking the 1x7 twist and also the barrel is 4140 steel (vs. the higher quality 4150 steel). Also the M&P is about 200$ more than the Spikes, and doesn't even have all the features the Spikes has. Spikes seems like your best bet for the money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Spikes is currently the best deal on the market and you will be pressed to find quality at a price like that. My second vote would go to BCM or LMT but they are a tad bit more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The M&P is good, but it's lacking the 1x7 twist and also the barrel is 4140 steel (vs. the higher quality 4150 steel). Also the M&P is about 200$ more than the Spikes, and doesn't even have all the features the Spikes has. Spikes seems like your best bet for the money.

cddn had the optics ready for $699 after rebate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colt, LMT, DD, BCM, Spike's, Sabre.

Best for the money, though, Spikes!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
SPIKE
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The CDNN deal is gone, all sold out.  Spikes is the best deal out there, after that BCM, and of course Colt will be noticed by more folks in case resale is ever something you will consider.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
SPIKE'S TACTICAL! All mil-spec with certification documents to back it up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt, bcm, spikes, lmt, sabre, noveske, larue.  Best buy by far right now is the spikes m4.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Best for your budget or best for the money?  Those are different things.

The best for the money is probably the KAC SR-15 if you get it at the $2K mark.  It's hard to part that rifle out for anywhere near that price.

Spike's and Daniel Defense are certainly outstanding value.  

The Colt 6940 at $1359 is also a very good value.

ETA: BCM complete uppers on parts-gun lowers are still fabulous values.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I would stick with the colt since its the rifle that you first started out with. Can't go wrong with that but like others have said you can get the same for less.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Spikes.. or Colt    top or bottom of fantastic rifles   I have both and both go bang every time
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Spikes
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Best value for the money coupled with the most OTS configurations is BCM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Top tier...LMT MRP w.16" CL middie
              KAC SR-15 IWS
              Noveske 16" Recce

next tier down....Colt 6720
                         BCM middie
                         LMT defender 2000

Just my 2cents
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Spikes Tactical LE M4
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
LMT, Noveske, Colt, BCM, Spikes
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Bravo Company lightweight midlength.  I would love to have one.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Mid-16LW-Light-weight-AR15-Bravo-Company-s/148.htm

EDIT for email notification.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#23]
So many great choices right now .do yourself a favor and take the advice given in this thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have a link to the spikes ar?  I'm curious what the actual amount people are paying for these is and where they are getting them at.  

When I first read this I was thinking those double star AR's for sale at Buds for less then $700 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My local dealer (Greentop in Virginia)  is pushing the M&P 15? Any good?

They are good but not on the same level as colt, dd, kac, lmt, bravo company, etc.

Knowing where you are I'd find what you want and have it transfered in to some place like dominion shooting range. I want to say their transfers are either 26 or 28 bucks. You can also find the smaller ffls that will do transfers for 20 ish.

For a basic gtg gun I'd buy an lmt, bravo company or colt. I'd look at daniel defense and spikes as well although I can't comment on their full guns(no personal experience). For a higher end gun I'd look at kac, larue, and noveske.

The other option is to buy an lmt, kac, or bravo company lower(have someone transfer it in) and then buy an upper configured to your specs. Bravo company for instance sells a lot of configs of their uppers but only a few configs as complete rifles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow...alot great information!  Thank you all.  Now I have some research to do!  Alot of great names that I have not hear before.    I don't want dump 2 to 3k in to one gun for nothing but plinking targets. I know people who have done that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
The Spike's Tactical is definitely the best deal you can find.

Here is the Spikes M4LE Carbine. It sells for 799 off of their website plus transfer fees at your local dealer. Also, you can use the discount code ARFCOM to get a 5% discount which should knock enough off to cover most, if not all, of the FFL transfer. And they recently posted their certification documents for most of the parts they use which provide proof of their mil-spec status
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Noveske.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow...alot great information!  Thank you all.  Now I have some research to do!  Alot of great names that I have not hear before.    I don't want dump 2 to 3k in to one gun for nothing but plinking targets. I know people who have done that.

My sbr will be up there by the time it is done. Upper is back at lmt for issues right now and its supressor is pending.

If you want cheap the spikes complete rifle seems to be a good value and people on here seem to really like it. Past that I'd personally try to find a good deal on a colt 6920 or depending on what you want get a bravo company complete gun or get an upper and lower. The lower would be all you need to get transfered in. You could also buy one in town although a lot of local places seem to want 400 bucks for a complete lower. You can get one cheaper if you look around and do a transfer. The rest you can order online and have transfered in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The Spike's Tactical is definitely the best deal you can find.

Here is the Spikes M4LE Carbine. It sells for 799 off of their website plus transfer fees at your local dealer. Also, you can use the discount code ARFCOM to get a 5% discount which should knock enough off to cover most, if not all, of the FFL transfer. And they recently posted their certification documents for most of the parts they use which provide proof of their mil-spec status

Code "Mil-Spec" will get you 10% off, but it's only good through the labor day weekend

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Colt,BCM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Spikes and BCM sell the best rifles for the money.

A lot of manufacturers throw the term “mil-spec” Around like a dirty whore, but Spikes and BCM actually do build their rifles to the correct technical standards.

From the ordinance grade steel used for the barrels, to the testing preformed, to the grease used during assembly.

Spikes has more competitive pricing than BCM and as others have stated they are offering coupon codes on top of that. And they are the ONLY manufacturer that has posted the certification documents publically that prove that the materials, testing, finish…ECT are actually up to spec.

I think it would be hard to argue that there is any real difference between comparable models from Colt, Spikes or BCM other than the price that they sell for and fan boy following that they have...

But you question was “best for the money” and the answer is undoubtedly Spikes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#35]
bravo company or spikes
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Another one for Spikes.  BCM is a close second (in price, not quality).

ETA - BCM quality is probably about the same as Spikes, but the price is higher.  I did not mean that BCM's quality is lacking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, great information indeed.  Very accurate, but however, most of the ones mentioned are going to set ya back pretty close to that 2k mark.  Especially if you want to ad some sort of tactical optics, then the sky is the limit.  These are great weapons but can be out of ones price range for the time being.  There are other budget options that will suit you for plinking.   That's just my opinion, and I'm fairly new to the game.  Don't beat me up too bad folks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
THE CHART

Oh Nooooo, not the chart!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Anything, just anything BCM.

J
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
My 2 go-to zombie ARs are almost twins. They look like the LaRue and Magpul catalogs had their way with my guns.
1- LMT Defender 2000 factory carbine. Troy ff rail and rear BUIS. Vtac sling, CTR stock, MIAD grip, TD VFG. Aimpoint ml3 in LaRur mount. Light is Surefire 951.
2- LMT factory Lowe. DD Omega rail, Troy rear BUIS. Vtac sling, CTR stock, MIAD grip, TD VFG. EoTech 552 on an 22:27:54 mount. Light is Surefire 951

Not much difference between the two in looks or function. However, I have a backup rifle set up very similarly to the primary. Also handy to equip a closely trusted friend, along with a similar chest rug containing mats & BOK.

Those are my 2 "nicest.". The ADCO custom midlength with DD rail and LMT BUIS works great on whatever lower might be handy. That's my get home gun. Iron sights, G2 flashlight attached, single point sling on lower for now. I think it's a Rock River or a Bushmaster at the moment.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, great information indeed.  Very accurate, but however, most of the ones mentioned are going to set ya back pretty close to that 2k mark.  Especially if you want to ad some sort of tactical optics, then the sky is the limit.  These are great weapons but can be out of ones price range for the time being.  There are other budget options that will suit you for plinking.   That's just my opinion, and I'm fairly new to the game.  Don't beat me up too bad folks.

Hehe, we won't beat you up but we will tell you that YOU'RE WRONG! Hehe j/k just so you know the Spikes is 775$ SHIPPED with the Arfcom discount. Nowhere close to 2k.

Now once you upgrade the furniture and get some optics and premo accessories, you might be approaching 2k.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#42]
wrong thread, sorry. Too many windows open.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#43]
One of the nicest AR's I've seen fully assembled is a LMT. Everything seems nearly flawless!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top