Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2010 7:45:51 AM EDT
So, I want a lightweight AR that's a little different.  Cav Arms lower, 14.5" BCM lightweight upper with permed flashhider and a Midwest Industries 10" (???) rail.  Thoughts?  Pics of the same or similar?  

Does the BCM lightweight come with dimpled barrel or something?  Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
How about a 14.5" BCM M4 profile w/pinned YHM Phantom and Magpul MOE furniture?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How about a 14.5" BCM M4 profile w/pinned YHM Phantom and Magpul MOE furniture?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/JDMnAR/Guns/BCM_DSA.jpg

No.

OP, excellent idea with a 14.5" midlength barrel and a lighter wieght modular rail like the Viking Tactics Extreme BattleRail . It seems to be the best ideal lightweight, low recoil setup.AZHONKY
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OP, excellent idea with a 14.5" midlength barrel and a lighter wieght modular rail like the Viking Tactics Extreme BattleRail . It seems to be the best ideal lightweight, low recoil setup.AZHONKY

He never said middy As I pointed out in another thread, a BCM lw middy (vs carbine) should be slightly heavier, and slightly more front heavy, since the profile under the guards is larger than most pencil barrels; .675" IIRC.

OP, You mean something like this?

BCM 14.5"+A2X carbine lightweight, MOE guards, BCM BCG, MBUS rear, PA Micro, Cav Arms lower, DD LPK (6lb 4oz as is, 5lb 13oz w/o optic)
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He never said middy As I pointed out in another thread, a BCM lw middy (vs carbine) should be slightly heavier, and slightly more front heavy, since the profile under the guards is larger than most pencil barrels; .675" IIRC.

OP, You mean something like this?
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx282/jaston87/Guns/CavarmsBCM145.jpg
BCM 14.5"+A2X carbine lightweight, MOE guards, BCM BCG, MBUS rear, PA Micro, Cav Arms lower, DD LPK (6lb 4oz as is, 5lb 13oz w/o optic)

Yes, but he never said carbine either.
But nice rifle.
AZHONKY
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I can't do any more Magpul.  I'm overflowing as it is with those guys!  

Carbine, mid-length, whatever....I just want light.  So, if the carbine is lighter, perhaps that's it.  I definitely want a low-profile gas block and a 10" mid-west industries rail.  Again, maybe a dimpled barrel too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Carbine, mid-length, whatever....I just want light.  So, if the carbine is lighter, perhaps that's it.  I definitely want a low-profile gas block and a 10" mid-west industries rail.  Again, maybe a dimpled barrel too.

You can never have enough Magpul.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you have a lightweight barrel profile you won't be able to get it dimpled/fluted.  It'll already be about as thin as possible.

If all my gun funds weren't tied up in other projects, I'd build a rifle similar to Jerz's.  I'd use a 16" barrel so I could put a Phantom QD suppressor FH on it (though they're relatively heavy ).  Maybe I'd see about getting the Cav Arms stock cut down a little too to lighten it a few ounces and shorten it a little too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
So, lightweight barrel profile only it is......

On the rail, Midwest Industries is the lightest?  Maybe I should go with some carbon fiber setup.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, lightweight barrel profile only it is......

On the rail, Midwest Industries is the lightest?  Maybe I should go with some carbon fiber setup.

If you want a LW AR then stay away from standard MI quad rails. They are some of the heaviest. If you want LW rails then DD is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a DD Omega rail (9 inch) and I want lighter if possible.

Anybody know the difference between that and perhaps a 10" Midwest or maybe even the 10" Spikes (which I don't think anyone on this site has)?  

Does anyone have a 14.5" w/ a permed flash hider, 10" or 12" rail and a low-pro gas block?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Troy TRX Extreme will probably be the lightest of the aluminum handguards, at least as long as you don't install many of the side rail sections.
However a plain carbon fiber tube, like the Clark, will be lighter still.
As for the quad-rails, I believe the DD M4 will be the lightest, followed very closely by the DD Lite rail.

ETA: Oh, I forgot about Spike's rails. Not sure where those fall on the scale.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 9 or 11" (I can't remember)  VTAC Xtreme (made by Troy).  If I recall it weighs in at about 9oz w/o rail sections attached to it.  I chose it because it was the lightest rail out there (tied with the Troy rail, but I wanted to consolidate shipping and the vendor had the VTAC and not the Troy).

My setup is A2 FH, DD lightweight barrel, VTAC rail, forged upper, Magpul BUS, Cav Arms lower.  Thing is ridiculously light.  I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]
With a 16" Bushmaster super lightweight barrel, this gun tips the scales at 5 lb. 1 oz.  With a 14.5" you should may dip below 5 lb.  (I used a Carbon-15 Upper though).

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you have a lightweight barrel profile you won't be able to get it dimpled/fluted.  It'll already be about as thin as possible.

I think he's talking about dimpled for a low pro gas block, not KAC style dimples.

Quoted:
With a 16" Bushmaster super lightweight barrel, this gun tips the scales at 5 lb. 1 oz.  With a 14.5" you should may dip below 5 lb.  (I used a Carbon-15 Upper though).

http://www.christiancarnivore.com/magpul 2.jpg

The BM is lighter than the BCM. The BM is thinner under guards and I think in front of guards too. Had I known this I may have just built an upper with a DD pencil barrel which is the same profile as the Superlight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the 9 or 11" (I can't remember)  VTAC Xtreme (made by Troy).  If I recall it weighs in at about 9oz w/o rail sections attached to it.  I chose it because it was the lightest rail out there (tied with the Troy rail, but I wanted to consolidate shipping and the vendor had the VTAC and not the Troy).

My setup is A2 FH, DD lightweight barrel, VTAC rail, forged upper, Magpul BUS, Cav Arms lower.  Thing is ridiculously light.  I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Make with the pics!  :o

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=269

I'm thinking this rail in OD green.  

Or the Clark's Carbon Fiber.  The Midwest at least gives me rail options.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#17]
14.5 BCM/BCM
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
14.5 BCM/BCM

So, you're on the record recommending BCM?  Uh, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
14.5 BCM/BCM

So, you're on the record recommending BCM?  Uh, thanks!

Yep top and bottom

Hey happy to help

Read the other ten thousand ubiquitous threads on the subject of light wt AR-15s here on arfcom
tons of info
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Like this?

Chopped cav arms lower
14.5 w/ perm FSC556 BCM .625 Carbine Upper
Vtac Extreme rail
EXP2
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#22]
VERY nice.....and that's obviously getting close to exactly what I'm looking for.  12" rail on that guy?  Do you have the total weight?

I'm thinking I want to go 10" Midwest Industries.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have a total weight but it's just at 6# with out mag as shown in pic

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top