Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2010 4:03:20 AM EDT
I can see some evidence of gas escaping and the gas tube wiggles a little.  All my ammo works except Wolf Military Classic which short strokes making the gun self extracting single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont believe they are, all mine ive every put in (over 20 built ARs) none have been loose and always need assistance going into the gas blocks
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I think only girls should WIGGLE.....LOL

No really, I think the wiggle room would allow gas to escape and may cause extraction issues....
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like gas block is out of spec.  I put the new gas block after removing the original.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#5]
picture?

if a tube leaks slightly.  its going to fill with carbon in a short time.

but if your short stroking and your tube has a 4" black mark on the outside something is up
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
picture?

if a tube leaks slightly.  its going to fill with carbon in a short time.

but if your short stroking and your tube has a 4" black mark on the outside something is up

Short stroking only on Wolf Classic.  about 2" black mark on the outside.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
nevermind
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If the wolf is causing it to short stroke, it's a problem...maybe.  What sort of rifle is this?  If it's a 14.5" barrel with a mid length gas system and your running a heavy buffer, it may not cycle Wolf reliably regardless.  If it's a 14.5" with a carbine length gas system or a 16" with either length gas system, then I'd say that your tube/gas block is leaking too much gas.  I've seen a few undersized gas tubes.   It happens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a franken upper I put together with colt 20 inch barrel chopped to 16.5 inch with barrel port opened up to .100

I put the origina GIl sight/gas block back on.  The gas tube did not have any wiggle at all with that combination.

Test fired a 20 round mag of Wolf Classic with it.  All worked and even locked bolt back.

I am happy with it now except I am stuck with useless tacticool gas block I paid $25.00 for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
No.  It should not wiggle or leak gas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How is your new gas block secured?  Does it move at all?  Was it positioned properly?

It had 3 set screws.  I added one more.

Now I have the old one back and it's working fine.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I put a Vltor low pro gas block on my BCM middy and while the gas tube does not wiggle inside the gas block some "excess" gas does leak out a little bit right behind the gas block, on top of the barrel.  I noticed this because my barrel is duracoated FDE and after I shoot about 30 rds noticable "black" carbon is shown on top of the barrel right behind the gas block.  Big deal?  No, never a problem in the 3,000 rounds at least put through it.  If that helps you at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top