Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 11:03:50 AM EDT
Hey All, Since I got my AR together I haven't had a lot of time to shoot it much. What I have shot has gone flawlessly, however. I got some 75gr nickel-plated TAP FPD .223 to use for HD, and I loaded up a mag to see if would cycle ok. Hand cycling with the charging handle it WILL NOT eject. I've got to butt-stroke it on the ground to get it out . I thought the chamber was dirty, but I cleaned it well enough and still it happens. Regular brass-cased Remington .223 cycles smooth as butter, but this TAP sticks like crazy. I've only got less than 200 rounds through the rifle, so I suppose it might not be broken in yet, but otherwise I've had no problems, feeding or extracting with this. Any thoughts?

Rifle specs:

Essential Arms stripped upper and lower

RRA LPK

Daniel Defense 1/7 chrome 16" barrel

Spike's ST-T2 buffer

Spike's NiB BCG and hammer

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Happens with my reloads, but all of them go bang and cycle fine, it shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously you should shoot them at the range before you depend on them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I figured they would fire and probably eject fine from the gas pulse, but I just thought they should also hand eject without having to break my finger off, haha. I didn't know if it could be a problem with the ammo, the BCG, or even the chamber or barrel extension. I just wanted to see how they would do hand cycling before I blew $1/rd ammo at the range on something that might not function, ya know?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
you don't know if it'll function until you shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not rely on your hand cycle to determine how the TAP will actually work. There may very well be an issue, but it could have to do with the way you are riding the handle etc. Take it to the range and see how it does, then report back. I predict no problem....
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting that you posted this.  I have a thread in the BIY section talking about a very similar issue with my rifle and Tap training ammo.  Wonder if there is any correlation or just a coincidence?

My build with the exception of the receivers and the LPK is identical to yours FWIW.  Hmmmm
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top