Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2010 8:04:43 PM EDT
Pulled my buffer and buffer spring out today, and the buffer roll pin appears to be popping out. I'm assuming I should just get a punch and pop her back in, but i thought i'd check with the all-knowing arfcommers just in case i should get a new one for some reason

ETA: this is just a standard carbine buffer (from RRA)

Crappy cell phone pic:

The roll pin looks completely fine––its not mushrooming or anything
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
when you shake the buffer, what do you hear, bbs bouncing around like a rattle, or weights bumping back and forth?  You may need to pound the pin in better or it might be best to just replace it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If there is anything wrong with it (which I'm not sure if there is or isn't), buffers are fairly inexpensive to be replaced.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
when you shake the buffer, what do you hear, bbs bouncing around like a rattle, or weights bumping back and forth?  You may need to pound the pin in better or it might be best to just replace it.

I hear 1 large weight shifting around, and MAYBE a second object moving around inside. I'm not necessarily worries about purchasing another, but is this an easy fix? I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with every other part of the weapon except the buffer itself, so sorry for the noobish question.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard you can stake the pin in place.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Never seen one of those come out, but, yeah, I would guess you could stake it with a chisel
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Drive it in flush and put a couple drops of loctite in it. It's not like you need to take it apart later.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Buffers are about 14 bucks on average.  Just get a new one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If its for duty, home defense, training, or anything else you consider serious, I would spend a couple bucks and get a new one.  While you are at it, you might even kick around the idea of using a heavier buffer.  

If its in a fun-gun, you can always drive it back in and peen the ends.

It is a HD weapon in-progress, so i think i'll try to invest in a new buffer
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If its for duty, home defense, training, or anything else you consider serious, I would spend a couple bucks and get a new one.  While you are at it, you might even kick around the idea of using a heavier buffer.  

If its in a fun-gun, you can always drive it back in and peen the ends.

It is a HD weapon in-progress, so i think i'll try to invest in a new buffer

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top