BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2010 11:28:22 AM EDT
I got a great deal on an M5 RAS.  That means build a rifle.  Given a choice between one of the BCM 20" Government Profile upers with their BCG/CC currently on sale (520), and a similar Bushmaster 20" 1/7 from PK Firearms ($250) built with one of Denny's "Upper Combo Deals" ($220), which is likely to be the better shooter?  I've heard a lot of good first-hand comment on Bushmaster barrels with respect to accuracy, and plenty about BCM's QC standards.  It looks like the BCM setup would be about $50 more, but I don't know whether the Denny's upper has M4 feed ramps, or if it even matters.  I  imagine the warranty behind the BCM option would probably make up the difference, but since neither are liable to be shakey gear, I'm not sure this is as simple as it sounds.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
BCM. Quality that bushmaster can't touch.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

whats the diff

Bushy  1/7 20 gov & BCM

But Hey

I cant tell my COLT , LMT.BUSHY apart
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

whats the diff

Bushy  1/7 20 gov & BCM

But Hey

I cant tell my COLT , LMT.BUSHY apart

Testing, quality materials. Why pay almost tHe same amount for an inferior barrel? If on a tight budget, maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster uses 4150  same as Colt
BCM change??
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

BCM

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I think BCM may be higher in the quality department, especially with the QC.

That being said, I used a Bushy 20" Gov. profile 1/7 twist on an A2 clone, and it shoots great.  For the price, the bushy is hard to beat.

SDI also sells 20"  1/7 twist Gov. profile barrels, but they are pricey.  I bought one for an A4 clone a few years ago (still have yet to install it).  It ran around $370 just for the barrel with "F" marked FSB and A2 FH , IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for BCM - the have except qulity and finish. My SS 16" Middy is a b-e-auty!
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think BCM may be higher in the quality department, especially with the QC.

That being said, I used a Bushy 20" Gov. profile 1/7 twist on an A2 clone, and it shoots great.  For the price, the bushy is hard to beat.

SDI also sells 20"  1/7 twist Gov. profile barrels, but they are pricey.  I bought one for an A4 clone a few years ago (still have yet to install it).  It ran around $370 just for the barrel with "F" marked FSB and A2 FH , IIRC.

Yeah

Im not saying buy Bushmaster over BCM or BCM over Bushy

I just wanted to know the Diff in barrel

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have the money then get the BCM.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
BCM

This is the correct answer.

LOL

BTW

BCM is my Go To 4 AR15 parts etc!    
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The only other difference I can think of is the BCM will have M4 feed ramps, and the Bushy usually has rifle feed ramps (mine did).  

Although checking PK Firearms web site, they list the 20" Bushy with M4 ramps.  Maybe Bushmaster is finally using them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only other difference I can think of is the BCM will have M4 feed ramps, and the Bushy usually has rifle feed ramps (mine did).  

Although checking PK Firearms web site, they list the 20" Bushy with M4 ramps.  Maybe Bushmaster is finally using them.

Maybe

Anyway the rifle runs just the same

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both,and can't say which is better.They are both quality in finish and function,so I will call it a tie.

I have usually been loyal to Bushmaster,but since they can't get me what I want in a reasonable time-frame,I have started to find other sources.Everytime I call for something,it's 6 weeks away,even common 16" and 20" barrels.I found PK Firearms to be good to deal with if I want Bushmaster brand,because they keep them in stock.Who cares if it's $10 more,at least they have it to my door in 3 days.Lots of other good stuff there too.

BCM is very popular too,with most members giving them great ratings on their stuff.The items I got from them are very good,and their prices are great,
They are now on my list of sources for AR parts.

I don't think you will have any regrets with either BCM or Bushmaster,
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
In this particular case, either will do fine.

What is the warranty on the PK/Denny's parts?

For the price difference I would go with forever warranty over 1 year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe

Anyway the rifle runs just the same

Agreed.  I like 20" rifles and all this M4 stuff is getting to be too much (the ramps I mean).

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#17]
BCM of course. what a stupid question.

sorry...i carried a bushmaster m4 in iraq for a year and it was very disappointing. i will never own one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
For me, the Bushy wouldn't even be an option.... So, I suppose that means BCM would be my choice if I were shopping for a built 20" upper. As much as I hate Bushmaster.... get the Bushy.

ETA: I see some things happening in another thread that would cause me to not want to deal with BCM either.... I support 1st Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a BCM kool-aide drinker, so I say BCM.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't think you will have any regrets with either BCM or Bushmaster,

Now thats the correct reply

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this a real question, BCM of course.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
BCM.

Quoted:
For me, the Bushy wouldn't even be an option.... So, I suppose that means BCM would be my choice if I were shopping for a built 20" upper. As much as I hate Bushmaster.... get the Bushy.

ETA: I see some things happening in another thread that would cause me to not want to deal with BCM either.... I support 1st Amendment rights.

What's this all about?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
BCM.

I owned a Bushmaster 20" upper and currently have a BCM 20" upper and like it just a little more for the F-marked FSB.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You really gotta explain this one boss.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
The choice is simple.
BCM

Bushmaster uses 4150 steel. BCM uses MIL-B-11595E.
Bushmaster uses a standard front sight base. BCM uses a "F" marked front sight base. (important if running a flat-top upper)
Bushmaster does not HPT/MPI test all of their barrels. BCM does.
Bushmaster has a 1 year warranty. BCM is a lifetime warranty.

Also, I don't know exactly what barrel you are looking at from Bushmaster, but most have a 1:9 twist. Though I think I've seen some M4 profile barrels with a 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
BCM. Final answer
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This is a private website, you don't have any 1st Amendment Rights here.

With that said, I went with the Bushmaster barrel from PK because of budget concerns. The only thing it seems to lack, when compared to a similar BCM barrel, is an F marked front sight base.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#29]
You really aren't going to get an unbiased opinion out of anyone...my username is a pretty good hint as to where my loyalty lies, but I have shot both and can say that either choice is going to perform perfectly. It is hard to compare two brand names that are known for amazing accuracy and performance. Bottom line: Can you justify the extra $$$. I haven't had a single problem with Bushmaster parts or guns, but the general consensus is that BCM still has better quality control.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bushmaster uses 4150  same as Colt
BCM change??

The term "4150" is misleading... it is not the same grade of steel that colt uses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Issue resolved. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a 20" rifle that has a Bushy gov profile barrel that I got from PK a year or so ago.  Very accurate rifle.  However, the rifle came with a detachable carrying handle.  I was unable to site the rifle in with that carrying handle because the FSP did not have enough adjustment in it.  I had to buy the slightly taller FSP from Bushy.  I now have an ARMS 40L with that sited in fine.  I just don't understand why Bushmaster doesn't either move to F marked FSBs or included the taller FSP with uppers.  Anyway, my Bushy upper is going to stay in my stable, but if I were buying today I would purchase a BCM.  As a matter of fact, i just received my BCM LW Middy upper on Friday to make my second BCM carbine.    Also, the rifle that has the Bushy upper in it has a BCM BCG in it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#33]
BCM is among the best, but Bushmaster won't disappoint, in my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Bushy is more than a few steps below the BCM. google "the chart" and see the differences for your self. My first AR was  a Bushy, but for less than $50ish dollars you get a lifetime warranty, higher grade components, an upper built correctly with the propper FSB, parked under the FSB, a QC and customer service that is legendary and a lifetime warranty. Did i mention the lifetime warranty? Bushmaster is willing to sell you an upper with the wrong FSB requiring you to purchase additional parts just to get your rifle on target and people defend that? To each his own I guess but for me and mine,  it will be BCM.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster uses 4150 same as Colt

BCM change??

The term "4150" is misleading... it is not the same grade of steel that colt uses.

does not matter.

at least to my 24k round Bushmaster M4 barrel.

Buy The Bushmaster, the best value for the money. I've owned 4 Bushy barrels and they put holes in the paper, blew up the pop can, ripped holes into bowling pins, blew up tannerite, banged gongs just as good if not better than other "kool aid" barrels.

This bullshit molecular level of metal analyzing is just stupid.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM change??

does not matter.

Buy The Bushmaster, the best value for the money. I've owned 4 Bushy barrels and they put holes in the paper, blew up the pop can, ripped holes into bowling pins, blew up tannerite, banged gongs just as good if not better than other "kool aid" barrels.

I look at it like this, I could buy d cheap drill from Harbor Frieght or buy a "consumer grade" tool from a big box store and it will probably work just fine to drill the occasional holhang some dry wall or build a birdhouse once a year, but if i want to really use my tools  doing medium to large projects or (gasp) make my living building stuff, do you think i will be better served by buying professional grade name brand tools that have a well deserved reputation for quality because they use higher quality materiels and don't skimp on construction? My grandfather once told me that only a rich man can afford cheap tools".

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bushy is more than a few steps below the BCM. google "the chart" and see the differences for your self. My first AR was  a Bushy, but for less than $50ish dollars you get a lifetime warranty, higher grade components, an upper built correctly with the propper FSB, parked under the FSB, a QC and customer service that is legendary and a lifetime warranty. Did i mention the lifetime warranty? Bushmaster is willing to sell you an upper with the wrong FSB requiring you to purchase additional parts just to get your rifle on target and people defend that? To each his own I guess but for me and mine,  it will be BCM.

As the "OP" of this thread I want to thank everyone for their input; it was more than I expected!  I think BCM will get the nod based on their warranty.  I don't hear any testimony to the effect the BCM barrel, given the same ammo and shooter, will be any more accurate than the Bushmaster.  Nobody commented on the Denny's receiver and enhanced bolt setup, so I expect the two are a wash, although I also expect the BCM BCG might be the better of the two since I almost never hear anyone recommending a Denny's Super-Duty BCG when someone asks for a BCG recommendation.  The proper FSB sounds like a big thing; the BM description doesn't say one way or the other, but some who posted here said BM has not gotten on board with the "F" marked base.  Both being chromed  1/7" I guess the FSB, the pre-assembly and the warranty carry the day.  BCM it is.  

I'll post a picture when it's married up with the RAS and Essential Arms lower.  The lower is set up with a Stag LRPK and a GI A2 buttstock.  I'll top it for now with a detachable carry handle while I save for an optic.  I'll never be able to afford an ACOG, so I have some ciphering to do on that subject too.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BCM change??

does not matter.

I look at it like this, I could buy d cheap drill from Harbor Frieght or buy a "consumer grade" tool from a big box store and it will probably work just fine to drill the occasional holhang some dry wall or build a birdhouse once a year, but if i want to really use my tools doing medium to large projects or (gasp) make my living building stuff, do you think i will be better served by buying professional grade name brand tools that have a well deserved reputation for quality because they use higher quality materiels and don't skimp on construction? My grandfather once told me that only a rich man can afford cheap tools".
LOL! that is really funny... harbor freight being compaired to Bushmaster is not even in the same catagory and is streatching that analogy. Also, I doubt very much that anybody outside of leo/mil/contractor is going to make a living on the quality of a barrel. My one Bushy barrel had held up to a lot of hard shooting. (24k rounds, 1k a day) so I don't buy into this interweb talk about this or that is better. Joining the Wild Geese? yea sure, maybe, but not for what the majority of the shooting public does.

I bet people who think like this do also buy that Larue paint mixer becuase Larue made it so it must be better than the Home Depot version.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless the poster can explain the "issues" with BCM there aren't any.

This is easy. I am a BCM fanboy, but......

If you want to run an A1 or A2 upper, then you want the Bushmaster barrel.
If you want a flat top, then you want the BCM.

I have had both. I really liked my Bushmaster and can say nothing bad about it. If I have the money to build an A1/A2 I'll have Bushmaster do it. But, for my A4 clone, its a BCM. Great fit and finish, and shoots great.

It has nothing to do with your products..... it's all you.

Lancelot,
I pm'd and emailed you to explain where and what I do for a living, in private, back when 'certain individuals' were accusing me of working for Tactical Machining. Do you remember that? You never replied. You deleted my thread about the TM product/customer service and you never said why.  No warning or 'you broke x rule'. I get it though. In a nutshell, it really ticked me off that I was being treated like a shill for TM and being accused of getting free product because I paid for EVERYTHING I have from them.

You were deleting posts in another thread about Spike's and then locked it. Given my past experience with you as a mod, what does this look like?  It looks like someone was bashing Spike's (industry partner) and you shut them up. Maybe you had some other good reason for deleting and locking. Maybe you just have an agenda to serve. As a business owner, I see where you are coming from. Had you replied to me in the past and we discussed things, I probably wouldn't be inclined to speculate about these actions and why they are made. Maybe I would understand. No 'issues' here....

ETA: Speculation by 'certain individuals' is what started all of this.... but I tried to explain and was never given the chance to clear the air.

I live 2 hours away from TM and I don't own or work for a business in the firearms industry. See disclaimer.... I wrote it for the people that thought I was a shill. Whatever....

and this has what to do with BCM?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Is anyone else completely confused by this thread now? BCM vs. Bushy: Chances are you will never know the difference unless you check it out with a microscope or make a habit of running it over with a truck...if you're range shooting, they will both penetrate the target...
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#42]
BCM is a company dedicated to quality...in both parts and service...unsurpassed in this business

Paul's reputation is impeccable

BCM rifles run ..period!

Not to mention the 20" Govt profile barrels are actually in stock and ready to roll...

There simply is nothing... better for the price

I have owned many Bushy's and BCMs as well as Colts,RRA,Sabre Defence,Armalite,

You simply are not going to find a finer rack grade.. govt profile,chrome lined,20" barrel anywhere

And you can hop right on over to BCMs web site and get one on the way in a matter of minutes...(of course today is Sun and it won't get shipped out
until first thing tomorrow)
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM change??

does not matter.

I look at it like this, I could buy d cheap drill from Harbor Frieght or buy a "consumer grade" tool from a big box store and it will probably work just fine to drill the occasional holhang some dry wall or build a birdhouse once a year, but if i want to really use my tools doing medium to large projects or (gasp) make my living building stuff, do you think i will be better served by buying professional grade name brand tools that have a well deserved reputation for quality because they use higher quality materiels and don't skimp on construction? My grandfather once told me that only a rich man can afford cheap tools".

LOL! that is really funny... harbor freight being compaired to Bushmaster is not even in the same catagory and is streatching that analogy. Also, I doubt very much that anybody outside of leo/mil/contractor is going to make a living on the quality of a barrel. My one Bushy barrel had held up to a lot of hard shooting. (24k rounds, 1k a day) so I don't buy into this interweb talk about this or that is better. Joining the Wild Geese? yea sure, maybe, but not for what the majority of the shooting public does.

I bet people who think like this do also buy that Larue paint mixer becuase Larue made it so it must be better than the Home Depot version.

Actually I was thinking that Bushmaster was the Lowes/HD/Sears consumer grade stuff like Ryobi,Skil and such. the harbor frieght was more of a oly/blackthorne/hesse/el cheapo price and quality rifle...
BCM is more of a Dewalt/Makita/Milwaulkee professional grade tool.You know the kind of quality tool you pass on to your kids after they learn how to use it. Nothing wrong with buying  a Ryobi as you may havemany years of trouble free years of use but use it hard.... I have had more than a few Bushies, but having built, bought, used and instructed with many different mfgrs, i can tell you that the Bushmaster is nowhere near the same quality as the BCM.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BCM of course. what a stupid question.

sorry...i carried a bushmaster m4 in iraq for a year and it was very disappointing. i will never own one.

RyChen why did they issue you a Bushmaster over a Colt?  I thought Bushmaster was a very limited run a long time ago and pretty much non existent now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
<snip>

Also, I don't know exactly what barrel you are looking at from Bushmaster, but most have a 1:9 twist. Though I think I've seen some M4 profile barrels with a 1:7 twist.

In all fairness, my 20" Bushmaster had a 1:7. I got it from PK during the height of the scare and admittedly overpaid.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a BCM 20" friday, 10 minutes later someone called to verify address because I used another ship to address. I think this is great service from a retailer and I will be doing business with them again. He then said let me go so I can get this shipped out
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

In all fairness, my 20" Bushmaster had a 1:7. I got it from PK during the height of the scare and admittedly overpaid.

i knew i saw something in 1:7
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As the "OP" of this thread I want to thank everyone for their input; it was more than I expected!  I think BCM will get the nod based on their warranty.  I don't hear any testimony to the effect the BCM barrel, given the same ammo and shooter, will be any more accurate than the Bushmaster.  Nobody commented on the Denny's receiver and enhanced bolt setup, so I expect the two are a wash, although I also expect the BCM BCG might be the better of the two since I almost never hear anyone recommending a Denny's Super-Duty BCG when someone asks for a BCG recommendation.  The proper FSB sounds like a big thing; the BM description doesn't say one way or the other, but some who posted here said BM has not gotten on board with the "F" marked base.  Both being chromed  1/7" I guess the FSB, the pre-assembly and the warranty carry the day.  BCM it is.  

I'll post a picture when it's married up with the RAS and Essential Arms lower.  The lower is set up with a Stag LRPK and a GI A2 buttstock.  I'll top it for now with a detachable carry handle while I save for an optic.  I'll never be able to afford an ACOG, so I have some ciphering to do on that subject too.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Search the old posts here of the guy behind that chart and you'll find him calling bushmaster shrubmaster and insulting people who own them as "deserving" them years before he came up with that chart. I don't know a lot of construction workers who know metallurgy and have access to the equipment to test various types of steel.

Bushmaster has had quality control problems, but no one has any real world proof that their barrel steel is anything but fine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#50]
BCM is a one man show that manufactures NOTHING. He is simply a reseller of products that are produced by someone else. BCM has a lifetime warranty, but, with such a small company that is pretty much one man, whose lifetime do you think your warranty is for, yours, or his? What happens when he isn't popular anymore, or hits a financial slump that he just dosen't have the capital to pull out of, and goes tits up like so many other flash in the pan, latest greatest ARFCOM favorites over the years? Well, there goes your lifetime warranty and any expectations for products support.

Buy the Bushmaster, they have survived this long and grown for a reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top