Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2010 1:12:39 PM EDT
I know this has been asked before but I have a s&w mp-15 that I want to leave the carry handle on . I want to mount my eotech on an handguard. Im looking at the DD carbine rail or the DD omega free float. Is the omega worth the extra money? Is the free float harder to install? I want to put a La Rue vert gripe (FUG) on too THANKS
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the omega clamps onto the existing barrel nut so it should be very easy to install vs a free float that requires removing the barrel/etc and replaces the barrel nut with its own

EDIT: I dont own one but if I had to pick it would be a Omega for a clamp on type free float
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The DD omega said it was a free float. So do you mean I have to remove the barrell to install the Omega, thats not what I want then.And the non float version(EZ) looks like it may just drop in and 100 bucks cheaper, I guess it has an allen head to keep it from moving since I plan to mount my eotech on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The DD omega said it was a free float. So do you mean I have to remove the barrell to install the Omega, thats not what I want then.And the non float version(EZ) looks like it may just drop in and 100 bucks cheaper, I guess it has an allen head to keep it from moving since I plan to mount my eotech on it.

No...the Omega is is two-piece free float rail. They install with zero mods to the host weapon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it ok to mount an optic on the handguard? I always heard that it wasn't such a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats what I was wondering and what are the advantages of a free and are they worth 100 more dollars. As of now I have the eo on a cantilever mount that puts the optic just above the handguard,about an eighth inch. (Ive heard that this is not a good setup either), its in a good position and gives a good cowitness, I just was thinking about getting one of the DD handguards Id like the uninterupted rail and could mount a vert grip.Of course I can always remove the handle and go flat, but I like my carry handle Thanks for any help. I see what you are saying now STRETCH ,that a reg free float would need to remove barrell, but the 2 piece omega you dont. If its not a good idea to mount directly on the handguard , Ill stick with my setup now and save the money
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it ok to mount an optic on the handguard? I always heard that it wasn't such a good idea.

If it's a FF rail then the general opinion is that it's ok, however, there is still some flex associated with this type of rail. Unless it's a true mono type rail then I wouldn't expect it to hold zero forever without a good optic mount like Larue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A free float rail has more pieces to it and has to be built to a tighter spec than simple slip on replacement rail handguards. For a rifle that will be used in short range, home defense or combat course type shooting there isn't a "need" to float the barrel. Most rifles shoot great without them.

However, if you plan on mounting a bipod or getting strapped into a sling to butress your shooting position, a free float tube is worth it's weight in extra cost. AR15's will shoot to a different point of aim when applying sufficient sling tension if the barrel isn't free floated. For a defense rifle this doesn't matter, for superb precision it does.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So it would be ok to mount an eotech on a Daniel Defense EZ NON floating handrail.?Anybody see a problem with that , it seems the way Im leaning on going. Thanks for the help people,  I need to have info from people in the know before I start buying. You people are in the know, thanks very much
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I say no to mounting optics on non floating rails. Unless you have zero, absolutely zero wiggle in the handguard, will will get POI shifts. Mount the red dot on the upper if you run a non floated hand guard. If you want it further forward use a cantilevered mount.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
the miltary mounts optics to the knights rails on the a4 and m4 all the time with good results- also a non free float system. unless you are looking for max accuracy past 300 yards free float is not important
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So it would be ok to mount an eotech on a Daniel Defense EZ NON floating handrail.?Anybody see a problem with that , it seems the way Im leaning on going. Thanks for the help people,  I need to have info from people in the know before I start buying. You people are in the know, thanks very much

No. The advice you were given earlier pertained to FREE FLOAT RAILS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, I think Ill just stay with the cantilever or remove handle and mount to upper. DD s  non floating rails say they have 2 allen heads to remove any wobble , but I think, they would eventually lose zero. The cantilever actually works fairly good. And that will save some money. Thanks for the help, the views yall gave me , were just what I wanted to know
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top