Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2010 5:01:04 PM EDT
I have a few nice higher end ARs, mostly kitted out guns, and one KISS carbine. I also have some complete lowers that I bought cheap a couple years ago. I am looking to turn the lowers into complete guns. These will basically be spare rifles to pass out for training, classes, etc so I want to keep them on a budget. They don't need to be uber tactical guns but they need to be quality, serviceable weapons.

What is the best upper currently available for arond $500? It needs to br a drop on ready to shoot upper, not minus sights, bolt group, etc. The best I've found so far is the Stag 2H. Is there anything else out there I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM gets my vote.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
BCM gets my vote.

You won't get a complete BCM upper for under $500.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM gets my vote.

You won't get a complete BCM upper for under $500.

^
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
spike's tactical LE models
16" middy or 16" M4
$50 off coupons: midleup m4leup
spike's tactical

my midlength came out to just under $500 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Get this one http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_bu_16ds4.html and add BCG and charging handle for an extra $110, that will come in at less than $500.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Spikes

Here is a review.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2115-Spike-s-Tactical-16-quot-M4-LE-upper
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a Spike's in my hands yet, but it appears to be the best deal going, and fits right into your budget.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Spike's
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You are going to hear a lot of Spikes!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
16" middy or 16" M4
spike's tactical

This is hands down the best deal out there. I bought one to test a few weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed after putting a little more than 400rds through it yesterday. This is coming from someone who owns/loves Colt, KAC, Noveske, and BCM. Range report will be up in a few days when I get the time. Here's a link for more info:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
i gotta upper minus BCG (with sights and CH) you can have for $390 shipped, theres plenty o BCG for $100 shipped on the ee

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=752536
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen LMT's on the EE recently.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeep, your stamp of approval means a lot to me, as you and I have very similiar standards when it comes to quality. Based on your endorsement, along with 87GN's and others whom I trust, I've decided to try one of these for my next M4 pattern build.

Thanks for doing the legwork, my brother-I appreciate it With ammo and training costs rising I don't have the financial resources to make expensive mistakes. Like you, I've always been of the opinion that quality components are actually cheaper in the long run.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Complete is the key here.....Spikes is about the only new upper in that range with BCG.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
SPIKES!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jeep, your stamp of approval means a lot to me, as you and I have very similiar standards when it comes to quality. Based on your endorsement, along with 87GN's and others whom I trust, I've decided to try one of these for my next M4 pattern build.

Thanks for doing the legwork, my brother-I appreciate it With ammo and training costs rising I don't have the financial resources to make expensive mistakes. Like you, I've always been of the opinion that quality components are actually cheaper in the long run.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thanks CJan_NH. You're definitely one of the guys I respect the most around here so that means a lot coming from you. For the level of quality you get at the price, I have no doubt you'll love a Spikes upper. I can also say that in my experience, no one has been as helpful or given me as good of customer service as Tom in any industry, much less ARs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Spike's gets my vote, and they got my $$ last time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I was looking for the same thing and came across a great deal in 12/09.  I was able to get a complete DD XV upper for 499.96 from AIM.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Lot's of choices.  Even more if you're willing to spend in the 500's

http://www.pkfirearms.com/

Rock River Arms CAR A4 - R4 Chrome Lined, Lightweight Complete Upper Rock River Arms A4 flat top receiver, 16"  M4, 5.56 Wilson Lightweight profile, 1/9 twist rate, chrome-lined bore and chamber. Steel front sight tower with bayonet lug.

Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.

Our Price: each $489.25

Rock River Arms Standard A4 20 inch Upper RRA Standard A4 Flat Top, 20" H-Bar. 4140 steel, 223 Wylde chamber, 1/9 twist rate, 1/2x28 RH threaded muzzle.

Includes RRA Bolt Carrier Group and Forged Charging handle.

Our Price: each $465.50

Daniel Defense MID Length With 16 Inch Hammer Forged Barrel Daniel Defense 16 inch Cold Hammer Forged barrel installed on a CMT Flat Top receiver. 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, F marked front sight, A2 flash hider, M4 ramped extension and receiver. Standard handguards.

Includes high quality, Bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.

These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.

Our Price: each $585.00

Sabre Defence 16 inch Mid Length Basic Upper Features a Sabre Defence CMV 16" govt. contour, 4150 grade Mil-Spec per MIL-B-1159E ( CMV ) chrome moly vanadium barrel with mid-length gas system, 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, M4 feed ramps on barrel extension, F marked front sight tower. Built on a Mil-Spec A3 flat top with M4 ramps.

Includes AR15 Bolt Group Assembly and forged Charging Handle.

These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.

Our Price: each $590.00
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
16" middy or 16" M4
spike's tactical

This is hands down the best deal out there. I bought one to test a few weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed after putting a little more than 400rds through it yesterday. This is coming from someone who owns/loves Colt, KAC, Noveske, and BCM. Range report will be up in a few days when I get the time. Here's a link for more info:

I went with the Spike's M4LE upper because of its quality/price, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet (won't have time for at least a few weeks). The spider trademarks are EVERYWHERE, which looks cool also!

Hey Jeep297, where should I keep an eye out for your range report? I'm assuming that you have the M4LE? I did read early reports of a couple of M4LE owners having bad results with 55gr ammo (don't remember which kind though). If you can include 55gr loads (maybe both M193 and match ammo) in your range report, that would be awesome and highly appreciated! If need be, I'll send you a paypal towards a box; just IM me but don't expect too much because I'm broke !
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
16" middy or 16" M4
spike's tactical

I went with the Spike's M4LE upper because of its quality/price, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet (won't have time for at least a few weeks). The spider trademarks are EVERYWHERE, which looks cool also!

Hey Jeep297, where should I keep an eye out for your range report? I'm assuming that you have the M4LE? I did read early reports of a couple of M4LE owners having bad results with 55gr ammo (don't remember which kind though). If you can include 55gr loads (maybe both M193 and match ammo) in your range report, that would be awesome and highly appreciated! If need be, I'll send you a paypal towards a box; just IM me but don't expect too much because I'm broke !

Yes, I have the M4LE upper. The report will be in the following link and I'm hoping to finish it tonight: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660

I shot approximately 430 rounds through it of various types of ammo. In the 55 grain range I used XM193, Centurion, and PMC Bronze. I also used 75gr Hornady TAP and Fiocchi 77gr Grain HP Sierra MatchKing. It

performed flawlessly with all the ammo but particularly loved the 75gr TAP. Accuracy was on par with my BCM and Colt with most ammo and better with with the 75gr TAP.

[ETA] I really appreciate the offer for a box of ammo but spend it on yourself so you can have some fun with your new rifle
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top