Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2010 10:21:12 AM EDT
Just for fun, what is the loudest most obnoxious brake out there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bushmaster Mini-Y comp was the hellspawn of the AWB.  I had the misfortune to be next to one on the range a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
AK brake, no question about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I say it is this one.  I was at a range awhile back and a guy next to me did not want to wear hearing protection and I warned him 3 times and suggested he not sit next to me when I shoot.

He was not happy when I racked off 3 rounds in succession he immediately left probably to go get some tylenol.  Good ol Barrett!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I say it is this one.  I was at a range awhile back and a guy next to me did not want to wear hearing protection and I warned him 3 times and suggested he not sit next to me when I shoot.
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/Barrett_M82A1_Muzzle_Brake_F.jpg

He was not happy when I racked off 3 rounds in succession he immediately left probably to go get some tylenol.  Good ol Barrett!!!

LOL

ETA: Do you have that on a .223? Seems like it'd be overkill on anything less than say a .300RUM or winmag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
One of mine has the bushmaster ak brake on a 14.5" barrel, pretty loud. The .50 takes the prize though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much anything open class 3 gunners are running. Just watching youtube videos of them makes my head hurt. Add in the concussion and it would be damn near unbearable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/Barrett_M82A1_Muzzle_Brake_F.jpg

LOL

ETA: Do you have that on a .223? Seems like it'd be overkill on anything less than say a .300RUM or winmag.

I would like a version like this for 5.56 but I only have it on my M82
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty much anything open class 3 gunners are running. Just watching youtube videos of them makes my head hurt. Add in the concussion and it would be damn near unbearable.

My SJC Titan on my competition gun gets lots of comments, especially if I shoot it indoors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The old brake on my Armalite M15 carbine was pretty bad. I let off 5 rounds in a shoot house once and could not hear for 5 minutes. My instructor warned me about using the break indoors. I was wearing earplugs. I finished the shoot with my A2 carbine and removed the break the next day. I dont know if its the worst but i bet its in the top 3 if we are talking 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Bushmaster Mini-Y comp was the hellspawn of the AWB.  I had the misfortune to be next to one on the range a couple weeks ago.

This one is pretty bad.  I had one back during the ban, and have since removed and pinned a phantom.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Was looking at a mini y comp. May get one. Like i said its just for fun. I don't shoot at public ranges or indoors so I dont care about the noise. I just like big bangs .
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy bought one of the PWS brakes for his MSAR. He said that it was so loud he heard it in his sinuses.

He wanted to see how loud it was on an AR so my poor LMT was offered up as a test mule. We tried it yesterday and I will never do that again.

It was just painful. Never never never again.

I am still trying to console my LMT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
How well do the Izzy breaks work?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I shot a 300m, 90 second, 30 round course of fire between two of those things.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My buddy bought one of the PWS brakes for his MSAR. He said that it was so loud he heard it in his sinuses.

He wanted to see how loud it was on an AR so my poor LMT was offered up as a test mule. We tried it yesterday and I will never do that again.

The PWS isn't even a very bad one, either.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf....i got one coming my way to try, seriously its loud?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any good brake will be loud. As for a direct comparison... I've shot both my FSC556 and my SJC Titan indoors next to a concrete wall. The Titan is far, far louder than the FSC556. Really, as far as effective brakes go the FSC556 is relatively quiet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is not that loud. Hence "isn't a very bad one", the subject of the thread being which is the loudest.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys for clearing that up....i know how loud brakes in general are, i just thought that the fsc556 was like some monster
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is not that loud. Hence "isn't a very bad one", the subject of the thread being which is the loudest.

I don't use brakes so to me it was horrible. I think all the benefits of the brake were voided by the anticipation of the concussion and the headache at the end. I will stick with flash hiders.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't use brakes so to me it was horrible. I think all the benefits of the brake were voided by the anticipation of the concussion and the headache at the end. I will stick with flash hiders.

I do know what you are talking about when you concussion......hell, it exists for me with an AR w/o anything other a can for a muzzle device or lack there of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's really that bad, you could wear double ear pro.

I wear surefire plugs when I shoot with brakes; fsc556 and sjc titan included. I feel concussion, but it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
JP Tank Brake.

JP
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I remember being next to one during a carbine class. After the first string I felt like shiving the son of a bitch who owned it. Felt like my muffs were going to get blown right off my head.

The worst part was that he was a LEO, and could have had anything he wanted

I hate those damned things.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#25]
we were out at the range yesterday and let my friend shoot my bushy with the YHM Phantom on it and he was like man these things are loud (first time shooting an AR) and then i post up about 10 feet to his right with my 14.5" with a pinned PWS FSC556 and he was like..........WTF are you shooting!?!?!  

I was like "bullets why?"

he said "cuz i can feel the concussion on my arm hair" i loled

but honestly, after puttin about 400 rounds down the range it kinda got me second thinking my hearing protection, but i think its really just the concussion that rattles you
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

my first AR was a bushy M4 with mini-Y comp!!!! yes sir that thing was loud...that was a great little rifle, sold the upper after the ban expired
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
we were out at the range yesterday and let my friend shoot my bushy with the YHM Phantom on it and he was like man these things are loud (first time shooting an AR) and then i post up about 10 feet to his right with my 14.5" with a pinned PWS FSC556 and he was like..........WTF are you shooting!?!?!  

but honestly, after puttin about 400 rounds down the range it kinda got me second thinking my hearing protection, but i think its really just the concussion that rattles you

I must admit  i am , that said this reply does not bod well for my cause
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a little bushy post-ban that a buddy sold me dirt cheap!, it has a permed izzy, works well its a bit more obnoxious than my stag brake/comp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the fsc556 is alot louder for the person next to you than for the shooter, I don't notice the concussion when I'm firing the weapon, but when I stand next to my buddy and he's shooting, I have to double up on ear protection.  But in all reality, some of these guys with large bore hunting/benchrest rifles make the fsc556 sound like a .22 in comparison, so I don't think it's soo bad that it should cause trouble at an outdoor range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice cause i am all but maybe a few rare occasions an outdoors shooter
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#31]

+1

Although the Y-Comp BFI used on ban era carbines will give it a run for its money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Good thing is the y-comps are easy to remove if you have some stuff to work with.  Just did another a couple weeks ago.  Grind down and remove the pins at 6 and 12, drill a 3/32 hole into the FH of your choice, thread onto the barrel and take 3/32 drill and dimple the threads 1/32-1/16" or so, snip a little piece off a 3/32 6011 welding rod laying around and backweld with MIG.  Touch up with a little cold blue.

Viola - looks just like Noveske did it, and for the cost of the new FH ($27 if Phantom) which you'd have to pay for sending it off anyway, plus $100 or whatever it is they charge to remove and install, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's crap. I have two and need to get around to cutting those useless brakes off. I'm in NY so they are pinned and welded.

My Wife's Mini "Y" is by far the loudest brake I've ever used and I've used a lot of brakes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#34]
YHM 5M1 is incredibly loud but does a great job.  Painfully loud.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
The only braked ar i have shot was a friend of mines bushmaster, don't know what it was, it looked like an a2 fh but was a brake. It was pretty loud. But not as bad as my 41/454 encore barrel, it will kick up dust when you are standing.

Anybody know what brake he had on his bushy? It looked just like an a2 fh but had the baffle on the front like a brake.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was looking at a mini y comp. May get one. Like i said its just for fun. I don't shoot at public ranges or indoors so I dont care about the noise. I just like big bangs .

YOU may not care about the noise, but the guy next to you sure might.  Why would you want to get a comp instead of a regular flash hider?  .223 recoil too much for you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only braked ar i have shot was a friend of mines bushmaster, don't know what it was, it looked like an a2 fh but was a brake. It was pretty loud. But not as bad as my 41/454 encore barrel, it will kick up dust when you are standing.

Anybody know what brake he had on his bushy? It looked just like an a2 fh but had the baffle on the front like a brake.

Izzy.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU may not care about the noise, but the guy next to you sure might.  Why would you want to get a comp instead of a regular flash hider?  .223 recoil too much for you?

faster splits, staying on target at 300 yards,  less recoil, etc
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I just want it for fun, have no problem with the recoil.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he wants to be blasty
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha, im eager to hear your opinion of it when you get it
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#42]
How hard is it to remove a pinned/welded brake?

I have the Spikes brake, was thinking about the FSC 556
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LINK
-scroll down to almost bottom of page.
I had the spikes. I prefer the fsc556
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Dergoat flash enhancer on a sub 7.5'' is crazy loud.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#45]
great! I just wanted to make sure it was possible

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

-scroll down to almost bottom of page.

I had the spikes. I prefer the fsc556

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#46]
The Ops brake on my 10.5" MRP is pretty freakin' loud.  Last time I was at the range one of the RSO's asked if I could please only shoot the SBR with my silencer because the gun was too loud......I thought all gun ranges were loud...

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Ops brake on my 10.5" MRP is pretty freakin' loud.  Last time I was at the range one of the RSO's asked if I could please only shoot the SBR with my silencer because the gun was too loud......I thought all gun ranges were loud...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/cqb.jpg

What a pair it must take to go up to a fellow shooter and tell him to put a "can" on it........sure RSO/wanker  I would seriously tell him to either deal with it or ban me cause my gun shoots to loud
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I have an FSC 556 on a 16" middy and I think it is obnoxiously loud..especially to the shooter next to you.

And do not ever shoot it without hearing protection, because it will make your ears ring for days (ask me how I know)

that being said, and far as killing flash AND allowing for lightning fast follow up shots its AWESOME!!! there is nothing better...
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some, don't care.  They don't care when the local range gets closed, for noise.  Because they can find a gravel pit that will be closed as well.
Girls just want to have fun.
Same folks that take all kinds of crap out and shoot it, and leave it.  Lot's of areas been closed by this type, sub-species.
And Eff it up for rest of the Outdoor  Community

On the plus side they are, .....  
Can some one help me out on the plus side of this?

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I hope it really is not this one when i try for first tom... fsc556

eta......I will be rocking these badasses...

Am i seriously gonna need to pick another pair up before the range am i this big of a nancy, yes
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top