Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2010 1:57:13 PM EDT
Well, I have a 2nd AR that I didnt really drop the money on a $200 trigger replacement, so I started reading about "trigger jobs" and "polishing".  

Before pulling the trigger group out to do one of these jobs (which involves modifying the springs), I thought that I would try lubing the sear surface and work the trigger several times to see if that helped the "gritty" feeling I had in the factory trigger (via lower parts kit).  

I found some helpful videos on youtube, but when I was opening my safe, I noticed some extra wheel bearing grease on the door rods.  Hmmm I thought ya know that might just do the trick.  So I grabbed a "dab" of it on the tip of a small screwdriver and smeared it on the sear surface.  Then I commenced to working the trigger - set/unset while keeping it from hitting the receiver.  After about 10 minutes of this, the trigger feel improved dramatically, to the point Im satisfied with it.

So there ya go...the 10 minute trigger job.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow
Lubed it and now it's GTG
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Triggers tend to smooth out after they are broken in a little.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Grease will attract dirt and eventually the trigger will feel worse then before.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow
Lubed it and now it's GTG

This man takes his triggers extremely serious...i knew a 10 min job might not work for him and i guess by default...me
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Grease will attract dirt and eventually the trigger will feel worse then before.

This is true, so you must be VERY sparing in using grease there.  I grease the PINS when I install a trigger and hammer, which helps a whole lot too.  A TINY spot of very light grease (I use Tetra) can make the engagement surfaces slide much smoother, but anything beyond that (a pinhead amount, at most) will be a problem.  And always apply the grease, cycle the parts, then REMOVE THE DISPLACED EXCESS GREASE.  This last part is often skipped and that leads to trouble.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Eastwood; don't worry about the grease unless you dump dirt into your gun. After a few hundred more cycles you may want to clean the FCG, check the action of the trigger to see how it's doing and lightly oil it . At that point you shouldn't need the grease anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#7]
i  personally beleive that the very best trigger group grease is NECO MOLYSLIDE. frank white [compass lake engineering] swears by this, turned me onto it years ago when i bought a service rifle from him. a $5 jar will last a lifetime.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top