Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2010 3:08:40 PM EDT
Just bought a stag arms model 1, bought all the basic neccessities you would normally with a firearm purchase, but I'm looking for some good suggestions for scopes, and any other suggested accessories. Its a detachable handle version, but I'm told there is a picatinny rail underneath the detachable handle (don't have it in my hands yet), therefore I'm not sure if I would need anything in addition to whatever I'm mounting.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are getting a flat top upper with the removable carrying handle.
when you take the carrying handle off the flat top is that rail system where any other scope will mount to.
either weaver or the 1913 rails.  basically its a built in scope base. all you need are rings.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
first thing i would get is a good white light. a surfire G2 LED in a Viking Tactics mount is a very cost effective setup. as for scopes it all depends on how much $ you want to spend. personally i like trijicon either an ACOG or an Accupoint. Personally if this were my first AR, i would shoot iron sights for a little while untill you find what shooting style suits you best, you may end up wanting something like a red dot sight instead of a magnified optic. or you may choose to upgrade your stock, pistol grip or add a railed hand guard. Take a look at the lights & laser forum, and the slings and accessories forum, there's lots of good info in both places.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent info...

I absolutely plan to shoot the iron sites for quite some time, both to find style like you said and just to get used to it and get good at it. While the likes look super slick, I cant see the practicality of having one seeing as this will not be a defensive firearm and I will not be shooting in low light situations. As far as scopes, I'd spend anywhere up to probably $200, so nothing super duper, probably rules out the ACOG that youre speaking of because I know those are usually pricey. Would like something thats not too large, shorter style, I'm pretty sure I'm going to want a red dot or red/green dot, and something with descent magnification power. I saw an add on this site up top for the Vortex Strikefire which looked pretty sharp, I also like the looks of these two Bushnell's << http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-airgun-sportsman-3-9x32-riflescope.html >> and << http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x28-red-green-riflescope.html >>

Cant imagine changing the stock or the grip, maybe add one of those front handles and/or tripods but then I'd have the ad a rail instead of whatever the thing is that is on the barell now. Definately would like a sling though.

Again great info, thanks for the help.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest you just enjoy your rifle for now and read all the info you can here. Later down the line you should be able to make better informed decisions as to what you want.

Get quaity mags, some ammo and a sling for now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Youre model 1 should have a piece already there for a bi pod mount. I have the same rifle. The handle is mounted on the picatiny rail so all you need are rings and scope.  Please post and let us know how it shoots. By the way Stags come dry, make sure you lube it up good before you go to the range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info, is it fairly easy to switch back and forth between the handle and the scope, as far as uninstalling and reinstalling each?

assuming also the book will tell me where i need to lube, as if you couldnt tell ive never owned a rifle before so this is all new to me.

clharr: thanks for the suggestions, i already bought a couple extra mags, I think they were AR Stoner stainless steel 30's, then bought 200 rounds of american eagle 223 for 75 bucks, can you suggest a sling or is one as good as the next>?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good info, is it fairly easy to switch back and forth between the handle and the scope, as far as uninstalling and reinstalling each?

assuming also the book will tell me where i need to lube, as if you couldnt tell ive never owned a rifle before so this is all new to me.

clharr: thanks for the suggestions, i already bought a couple extra mags, I think they were AR Stoner stainless steel 30's, then bought 200 rounds of american eagle 223 for 75 bucks, can you suggest a sling or is one as good as the next>?

I only use VTAC slings on my weapons now. The manual should be a decent source of info. Everything you could ever want to know is already here on the forum. Read, shoot, repeat.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]

I have this optic on one of my AR's and it has held zero perfect. I like my new Eotech 512 better, but the Bushnell is half the price. You will like it very much!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
When it comes to night target acquisition, nothing says "You just picked the wrong guy's house to break into" better than a green laser sight.

Welcome to ARFCOMLAND.  Remember to post pictures when you are done with your build.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah thats one of the ones I pointed out and definately the one I am eyeing, can you post a picture of it? just want to see what it looks like on. I dont understand does that deal come with 2 scopes?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have this optic on one of my AR's and it has held zero perfect. I like my new Eotech 512 better, but the Bushnell is half the price. You will like it very much!!

Ok I figured it out the 2nd scopes adds $530... but yeah the $160 one is the one i liked, throw a pic up for me and if i like the looks of that I'll probably order that one, does it have descent zoom? i dont really know whats what on the zoom ratings, like a target 600 yards away will I be able to see well enough? Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Learn your irons, but buy some Magpul stuff in the mean time

My latest build, mostly Magpul accessories.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top