Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2010 6:21:22 AM EDT
I am wanting to build another AR-15 to be used mostly for varmit and target shooting. I am looking for the utmost in accuracy in a short barreled gun that is easier to carry long distance. I already have a 22" Bull-barreled varmit AR and it gets a little much to tote after awhile.
This new rifle I will have a colaspible stock, no sights just scope, and free-float handguard. I want to be able to easily throw in the plane or car.
I am wanting responses on what you guys are getting for accuracy out of your various brands of barrels....from the cheapest to the high dollar. I doubt I will spend the money on the high dollar barrel unles it is appreciably more accurate than the mid-priced barrel. Most of the shooting I need this for is under 400 yards (250-300 is probably average)....woods and field.
Thanks in advance.
WW
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My 16" Noveske does the job. I have two buds that have 16" Noveskes as well and they both will shoot outstanding. I have to finish working up a load for mine new on but with my last 16" barrel it would do MOA out to 600m which is more than I could hope for out of a platform that light. Noveske, Larue, Krieger...IMO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my complete upper from AD-Tek of Tallahassee.

It cost $914 at the time I bought it.

MEGA upper

Mil-spec BCG

Lothar-Walther 16" 1:9 CL barrel (duracoated)

YHM FF handguard

YHM Phantom FH

I put a 1.5-4.5X scope on it.

10-shot groups at 100 yards are:

XM193 (55 gr.) 3 MOA

M855 (62 gr.) 3 MOA

Hornady .223 TAP (55 gr.) 1.25 MOA

That's all I've got for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5 inch novekse with a perm smith vortex...I hot the 10 inch plates at 200 yrds all day long with it using irons... I dunno how much that helps you but ya.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought my complete upper from AD-Tek of Tallahassee.
It cost $914 at the time I bought it.
MEGA upper
Mil-spec BCG
Lothar-Walther 16" 1:9 CL barrel (duracoated)
YHM FF handguard
YHM Phantom FH
I put a 1.5-4.5X scope on it.
10-shot groups at 100 yards are:
XM193 (55 gr.) 3 MOA
M855 (62 gr.) 3 MOA
Hornady .223 TAP (55 gr.) 1.25 MOA
That's all I've got for you.

Sounds good.  Thanks for the honest report.  Seems like you could do a smidgen better with heavier quality match ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's an accuracy report from Molon on the Noveske barrels. I have a 18" SS, 16.1 SS, and a 14.5" SSS. I don't handload but get my best groups using MK262 and TAP 5.56. These are the only factory loads I have used but, I want to shoot other loads to see how they'll do.

Noveske Barrels
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
A Marine Sniper buddy shot a 5 round MOA 500 meter group with this 16" 1/7 Krieger, MK262 ammo, OPS 12th, TA11C . and the AN/PVS-22, it was late, about 12:30AM.
Wouldn't have believed it, but I was there!
The best I have ever done with this rifle past 300 yards was with a NSX 3.5-15X50 @ 400 yards, 1.2 MOA.  And  was proud of it!

As BigBore says, "it's the singer, not the song".  Very true, but "Moon River", or in this case, "Recon Sally", doesn't hurt!

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
My 16" larue stealth gets me roughly .75MOA... with factory match ammo (69grain)...   I'll start working on handloads for it this week.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A Marine Sniper buddy shot a 5 round MOA 500 meter group with this 16" 1/7 Krieger, MK262 ammo, OPS 12th, TA11C . and the AN/PVS-22, it was late, about 12:30AM.
Wouldn't have believed it, but I was there!
The best I have ever done with this rifle past 300 yards was with a NSX 3.5-15X50 @ 400 yards, 1.2 MOA.  And  was proud of it!

As BigBore says, "it's the singer, not the song".  Very true, but "Moon River", or in this case, "Recon Sally", doesn't hurt!

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_2237132.jpg

I've always laughed to myself at everyone strongly insisting on getting a subMOA rifle. To get consistent subMOA groups, you need the subMOA rifle, awesome ammo, an awesome scope, and a very skilled shooter. I have never come close to subMOA, one because I'm too cheap for the awesome ammo and scope, and two because I suck at shooting from the bench. You guys that can do that are incredible, I just think it's funny for so many newbs like myself to so ardently demand something that we will never use. And since I do more tactical shooting and moving with most engagement distances being much less than 100yds, 1MOA vs 3MOA doesn't really matter, they're all hitting within 1inch at 25yds or 1.5inches at 50yds.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sounds good. Thanks for the honest report. Seems like you could do a smidgen better with heavier quality match ammo.

I haven't finished testing yet, that's for sure.

I just got some Hornady 75 gr. BTHP factoyy ammo, some PRVI Match ammo, and some 5.56 TAP in various weights.  I'll get out there and do some more testing soon.  I'm pretty convinced that my setup can consistently do 1 MOA 10-shot groups with the right ammo.  And I think that's fine from a mid-priced chrome-lined carbine.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I guess a little more info on my end may be needed. I am an ex-military marksmanship team member and want the utmost accuracy I can obtain. My BBL varmiter I already have can shoot sub-MOA groups with the right ammo and when I do my part. I guess I was hoping to get a shorter and lighter barrel to do similar with out breaking the bank. I am not sure I can spend the money for the Noveske upper right now but will eventually try. Anyone using a Lilja barrel?
WW
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I guess a little more info on my end may be needed. I am an ex-military marksmanship team member and want the utmost accuracy I can obtain. My BBL varmiter I already have can shoot sub-MOA groups with the right ammo and when I do my part. I guess I was hoping to get a shorter and lighter barrel to do similar with out breaking the bank. I am not sure I can spend the money for the Noveske upper right now but will eventually try. Anyone using a Lilja barrel?
WW

Sounds to me like you have the training/skill set to mke the utmost of your equipment, save save save, and get that Noveske/Krieger/whatver barrel.
WES at MSTN used to have Lilja barrels, but I think he uses a lot of Noveske now.  Might be good to give him a call, he's always steered me straight, that's for sure!

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I am around 1-1.5 MOA at 300m with a 14.5" from Sabre Defense, with a TA01NSN. (prone position with bypod)

ammo is the swiss GP90 surplus 5.56 (63gr)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top