Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:26:59 AM EDT
I have two ARs, a Stag carbine that is rather new and an Olympic carbine which is ~11-13 years old (good cond).  Every so often I go to the huge shows in Houston that has good selection/pricing so I'm entertaining the idea of a trade on something.  The Oly hasn't given me many issues except for a couple of FTEs on the first few rounds when it was new..and it is very accurate (non chrome lined bore), zero issues w/the Stag btw.

Would it even be worth trading the Oly?  Or is that something I'd only want to do if I really needed the extra money?

Thanks guys

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
In my humble opinion, if your Oly works great, you should keep it.  Just make sure the innards are good - properly staked gas key on the bolt carrier, H-buffer and stronger spring for the extractor, for example.

Again, just my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep it...  Oly's are highly accurate.  Just use it as a plinker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Only you can decide that but since you asked our opinion I would personally get rid of it for something else. I would probably sell it for what I could and get one of those complete uppers Spikes is running a special on.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  No...nothing against Olys, I've had it/shot it long enough to know that I didn't get one of their lemons.  I guess it would be smarter to just keep it even if I do get something else.  I was going to use the money to outfit the Stag with a nice optic...but if ARs are banned again down the road by some chance then the Oly's value would go up...the optic's wouldn't as they'd always be available.

But a nice optic for the Stag sure would be nice.  Anyone familiar with trading know roughly what they'd offer me?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell it and get an optic for your Stag. Then save up for a second AR that you really want.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
nothing wrong with Olympic Arms as long as you want an unreliable AR.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a great rifle that has served you well.  I say keep it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  No...nothing against Olys, I've had it/shot it long enough to know that I didn't get one of their lemons.  I guess it would be smarter to just keep it even if I do get something else.  I was going to use the money to outfit the Stag with a nice optic...but if ARs are banned again down the road by some chance then the Oly's value would go up...the optic's wouldn't as they'd always be available.

But a nice optic for the Stag sure would be nice.  Anyone familiar with trading know roughly what they'd offer me?

I would keep the Olympic and save up for the optics you want. With the AR market right now, you probably won't get enough for it to justify selling it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would keep the Olympic and save up for the optics you want. With the AR market right now, you probably won't get enough for it to justify selling it.

That's what I was worried about...I'd basically be trading in an "Oly" (not bashing of course, just sayin') when AR prices are lower than they have been = won't get a lot for it.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#12]
i have an old bushmaster, that has several thousand completely trouble-free rounds through it. i did not know that it was a un-reliable POS, until i started reading some of these forums––-perhaps your olymtia is like this???? however,, i did find out how acurate a ar-15 can be, and those olympia barrels have a very good rep.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I despise Oly arms because they have released some rifles that should not have passed quality control. But I believe they make good rifles. If you got one of the good ones then you should keep it. Oly's are only bad when they are out of spec... My buddy's Oly shoots a serious tight group out of the box but it came with a BCG he can not dissasemble because the gas key obstructs the removal of the cam pin. It's because something is out of spec, most likely the carrier. But it has never jammed on him, even after 2 years of hard use and never being able to clean the bolt thuroughly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Can be a tough decision. I was always of the mind that I NEVER sell guns, only acquire more. But then I decided that I wanted something more than what I had, in terms of quality and upgradability. So, I sold my Colt HBAR 20" (fixed carry handle limits things, and was longer than I preferred), and my Bushy 10.5" (fixed carry handle, long fixed flash hider). For what I sold them for, I was able to purchase a brand new complete factory Noveske Recce low profile. Was tough to part with two rifles I loved, but now I have the rifle I can love the rest of my life. Oh, and to make it even better, I have the free lower to build up, and will soon be back to two ARs in the stable, only they will be newer, better, and what I really like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I despise Oly arms because they have released some rifles that should not have passed quality control. But I believe they make good rifles. If you got one of the good ones then you should keep it. Oly's are only bad when they are out of spec... My buddy's Oly shoots a serious tight group out of the box but it came with a BCG he can not dissasemble because the gas key obstructs the removal of the cam pin. It's because something is out of spec, most likely the carrier. But it has never jammed on him, even after 2 years of hard use and never being able to clean the bolt thuroughly.

If your friends BCG is truly out of spec, why not get a hold of Oly and get a new one?  Are you sure he rotated the cam pin to take it out?  Just a thought...  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't try to "Trade In" the Oly because you will only get like $400 for it on trade.  However, if you sell it privately on the Classifieds section here, or in your area at the gun show to someone face to face, you may be able to get $550-600 for it.  You can buy new Olys here in Georgia for $725-750, so you won't get a ton for it unless you have a lot of extras.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]

I enjoy my Oly K16 very much and have yet to have a failure
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If you dont need money I'd keep it.  It doesn't eat unless you feed it!!!LOL
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have two ARs, a Stag carbine that is rather new and an Olympic carbine which is ~11-13 years old (good cond).  Every so often I go to the huge shows in Houston that has good selection/pricing so I'm entertaining the idea of a trade on something.  The Oly hasn't given me many issues except for a couple of FTEs on the first few rounds when it was new..and it is very accurate (non chrome lined bore), zero issues w/the Stag btw.

Would it even be worth trading the Oly?  Or is that something I'd only want to do if I really needed the extra money?
Thanks guys

None of us know the answer to your questions. Decide for yourself. If you have to ask then you already know the answer. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
nothing wrong with Olympic Arms as long as you want an unreliable AR.

Where did you come up with that statement?
I assume that you have one that has given you issues?

I have had several and had no trouble.
I did have one that had a very slight problem with the magwell being tight with certain mags.
I still have 3 and they are without a doubt some of the best shooters(accurate) I own.

eta;I assume this is what you are referring to.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486539&page=2
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
imo, sell the oly and buy something else you want, if you do not want anything else then keep it, everyone needs 2 or more ar's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Oly Plinker  that I got cheap/new almost two years ago. Stone reliable, accurate as heck, great trigger. Zero issues.

I like it enough that I lathe turned the barrel to a more medium profile to save weight. Still accurate as heck. Upgraded it with some MOE furniture, a RRA flat top upper and a Trij Reflex sight. Damn fine bullseye taking AR at 100 yards.

Would anyone pay me much of anyhting for it? Nah.
Its still just the cheap Oly that everyone seems to love to hate.

But it is a damn good AR. I plan to keep it and enjoy it and pass it to my son someday.

If it works well for you, keep it!

Take a look at many threads here. Even the hoity toidy "Top Tier" ARs can have their issues. If what you have now is good for you, hang on to it!

Personally, I had a old Colt and sold it.
I like my Oly, DSA and Bushy better.

But then I am not some ninja operator type. Just an old guy whacking paper bullseyes. But I know good machine work and well made parts that work well together when I see them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#23]
damn this is the least oly bashing ive seen thus far!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Like others have said, if it works well, keep it. Don't sell (or trade) it just because of the name and the negative things you've heard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top